• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen EV/IV & Nature system revamp?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
How would you feel if they redid the EV/IV system? Or even changed natures? Or removed them? Not to be confused with the thread on changing stats on older Pokemon btw. This is for these specific systems.

I personally hope they don't do that. I think it's pretty on point and a decent concept to grasp and use, and it's been in place for three generations so far. Had it not worked in gen III when it was initially changed, I think it would have been fixed in gen IV or V, so yeah. It's probably staying. I don't see them scrapping natures either. This is coming from a non-competitive battler, though. So I assume someone that actually battles might have something different to say.

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
I hope that we can actually see the amount of EVs we have in our pokémon. Seriously, on the pokémon page. How much Attack have we trained... A bar or something beneath the stat.
As for IV breeding, I wouldn't mind if they changed it in a way that it would be easier to get our desired offspring. About the natures I wouldn't care if they cut all the neutral natures to just one.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Yeah, it was a total annoyance to learn all about it and to get the hang of it in the first place. xD Although, maybe if they re-did them to make the total number of EVs a pokemon can have smaller, it can be easier. But yeah, I would rather not have them remove or add any more natures either. @__@

Years
I would be sad because it took me ages to learn everything inside out! XD
However, if there was a new/altered system, I would end up learning it anyway. -___-​

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I agree with what y'all are saying. I think they should leave it the same, and if anything be done to it, just improve on what we already have, like letting us have an EV calculator and a more accurate IV checker. I think that'd help a lot!

And like Vaporeon7, I really don't want gen III-V Pokemon being incompatible because of EV/IV system changes. That would really suck.

Years
I really hope they don't touch this...

Just like everyone else has said, it already took a lot to be able to learn how to manipulate what we want from it... Changing it would just be... uncool.

I feel like the system is solid enough to where it doesn't need to change.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Honestly I would love it. I feel like the way EVs work right now they're so boring when you learn them, and they're very simple to learn. I feel like I would like a more dynamic system that didn't lend itself to grinding out EVs tbh.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I'd think that it would be good to revamp the EV/IV, as long as it balances it out for every Pokémon, so that no Pokémon would be useless. But I wouldn't like them changing every Pokémon's nature. But I think they should add in new natures into the second slot of Pokémon that only have one nature, depending on what the new nature really is about.

Platinum Lucario

Years
New Natures

Do you think there'll be any new natures in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y? Personally, I would think that there should be some new natures implemented into the game.

I'm thinking of new natures like Creative nature would be nice to have.

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
I sort of doubt there will be new natures. If there were, I could possibly see them adding a whole new set of them that alter the HP stat, since it's the only stat (other than accuracy/evasion, but those shouldn't count) that isn't affected by natures. Which would be interesting for Pokemon that need the extra HP if 252 EVs wasn't enough.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Natures won't change unless they create a new stat.

EVs aren't exclusive to Pokémon, similar systems are used in many RPG games. I would like to be able to see them in the game, like in those other games. So EVs would become "official".

IVs won't change unless they give them a bigger spread, so instead of going 0-31, they go like, 0-51 or something like that. IVs are one of the core aspects of Pokémon, they're there since 1st gen, and they're what makes all Pokémon different from each other. The probability of having two exactly equal Pokémon is incredibly slim.

Anyway, there's nothing complex about IVs and EVs. I didn't have any trouble learning them when RS were first introduced. What has become fairly complex and requires some time to study, is breeding. Personally I think the PokéGen-like programs take a lot out of the game, because breeding a strong Pokémon takes much effort and knowledge about the game mechanics. It does take very long as well, however, and none of us are paid to play Pokémon, so the time it takes to breed a very strong team could be better spent on other things like actual battles.

Platinum Lucario

Years
I hope they don't change it except like everyone else is saying they make it possible to see the EVs.

I'm a bit confused at what you're trying to say here.

Actually, what I meant to say was... "I'd think that it would be good to revamp the EV/IV, as long as it balances it out for every Pokémon in gaining more stats and leveling up, so that no Pokémon would be useless. But I wouldn't want any changes to the nature system though, just some new natures."

(I got mixed up with the words Abilities and Natures at the time, oops. :x )

blue

gucci
Years
It's complicated enough as it is for me, removing them wouldn't be such a tragedy either but I don't bother with Natures or EVs/IVs.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I hoping they don't change the nature system but hopefully they might change the EV/IV system to make some of the weaker pokemon a bit stronger.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
Years
I hope they don't change, I would be annoyed if connectivity between old generations was lost and I would really hate to learning the system again, really they aren't even that hard.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I hope they don't change the EV/IV system and natures in Gen VI. They made Pokémon training rather...interesting to say the least.

dragonnathan025

Pokemon Breeder
Years
I saw something in the description on the preorder for X and Y that the more the Pokemon bonds with you, the more powerful it gets.

I don't know if this simply means that if the happiness gets higher, the stats actually increase, or if this means that the happier it is, that means that it's been in a lot of battles, and has a lot of EVs naturally.

I have to say, I would love it if the Happiness was tied in with IVs, so the happier it got, the more powerful the IVs, gradually increasing throughout the game (to represent how a Pokemon tries harder for someone it trusts), and I guarantee this will make a lot of people happier with the IV system, to get something powerful easier, but it will take a lot of the uniqueness out of most of the Pokemon, so I'm not sure they'd do that in exchange for keeping them unique.

Either way, I wasn't really paying attention to descriptions, does anyone know what this could mean, or if previous games had this same description?

Back