• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The lottery you don't want to win

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
If you were conscripted into the army/navy/airforce or whatever, would you go, or would you refuse and go to jail instead?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I rather go to prison than kill someone on purpose or be traumatized for life. I wouldn't be "dying for my country" I would be dying for no meaning at all, because some old guy in a chair wants to throw money and people's lives away for the "image" of a powerful country.

I can't go in the army anyways, they don't allow people with flat arches, so I'm safe ;3

Last edited:

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
I'll go instead of being a jail cell. I mean it's better to be occupied then being stuck in a cell cage and knowing you died for your country is better than dying in a cell.

Years
In another life I would've joined the army. But I don't know if I'd want to do it now. I don't think they'll take me if I'm doing my master's will they?

If I sucked a lot more at school - actually I don't know, to be a good commander you still have to be mentally sharp. If I sucked at all the subjects I'm good at now, I'll probably join the army. At least lemme finish my Bachelor's so I can join as an officer.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
Most def. I've got nothing but respect for service-members, and I would have gone in if I hadn't have lucked out with a good job. Great benefits, even if the bureaucratic garbage can be a real pain to live under.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
You guys do know that only about 10% of people in the armed forces actually see combat, right? And killing innocent people...? If you are in combat, you're not gonna be firing at civilians. That's the CIA's job....heh.

Reactions: Her

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
It depends on what the cause of war is. I would have gladly accepted for something like WW2. I'd be a horrible soldier and would rather live my own life, but it's better than jail.

But I will never give my life for something such as oil.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
Years
Well, firstly I would be a tad annoyed as Ireland is pretty famous for its neutrality. I think rejections would amass a very high number because people really identify with the feeling of neutrality. So if conscription is law, the war that is ongoing is probably very near and very dangerous for the state. If it's something small, I would probably take jail and hope there is a lot of conscientious objectors there to keep me company...

I know I would be a pretty terrible soldier though, I don't think I would survive the first day of boot camp.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
You guys do know that only about 10% of people in the armed forces actually see combat, right? And killing innocent people...? If you are in combat, you're not gonna be firing at civilians. That's the CIA's job....heh.

Civilians or not, people are still people. They're probably in the same boat as you. Being forced to kill each other or rot away in prison, right? What a grand choice the government gives you!! They really care about their people, don't they? Hahaha!
In both cases they take your life away, but I would definitely feel more myself sitting in a cell drawing than firing a gun.
And 10% is still 10%. I know someone who was only 21 who died in service. It's horrible to lose someone like that, and I don't want to become a statistic.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
I have no problem killing another human being if my own life is threatened. That's how war is. It isn't about the reasons why when you're a soldier, it's about the then and there, and if there is someone trying to kill me or harm the ones I love back home, I don't care what sort of ideology they have, they are getting put down in the ground. That is what I feel is right.

Hahaha, and what makes you think that prison will be any better? What happens when someone decides to try and rape you, or decides that they hate your guts for no reason, and try to take you down every single day? Yeah, I'd rather be in the military, so I'd be able to get off work and go home to do whatever I want to, not having to worry about that kind of drama.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I'd go into the Navy, but I'd do my best to be a cook or something since I have a handful of food safety certifications. If we're talking about positions that frequently see combat, then I'd do jail time.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today

lol'd

Yeah, I'd go to jail. Would much rather spend my time in a cell than spend any of my time in a capacity where I could be sent off to war. Plus, does the government really think I'd be of any use to anyone, regardless of which service I provide? It's truly better for my country if I didn't contribute at all to the armed forces, lol.

Years
Civilians or not, people are still people. They're probably in the same boat as you. Being forced to kill each other or rot away in prison, right? What a grand choice the government gives you!! They really care about their people, don't they? Hahaha!
In both cases they take your life away, but I would definitely feel more myself sitting in a cell drawing than firing a gun.
And 10% is still 10%. I know someone who was only 21 who died in service. It's horrible to lose someone like that, and I don't want to become a statistic.

You'll become a statistic in one way or another, but I know what you mean. I think you're missing the bigger picture though. People aren't always fighting for conquest or to strengthen the country they are fighting for. Sometimes they are conscripted to fight for the sake of protecting the country and its people. What else can the government use to fight against other countries? Nuclear weaponry?

lol'd

Yeah, I'd go to jail. Would much rather spend my time in a cell than spend any of my time in a capacity where I could be sent off to war. Plus, does the government really think I'd be of any use to anyone, regardless of which service I provide? It's truly better for my country if I didn't contribute at all to the armed forces, lol.

Dude, your comedic relief will straight up win you fights, man!

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Considering I already have thoughts about entering the Military, I would not shy away from this at all. Matter of factly, I would probably already be enlisted and thus, not really "conscripted." I imagine it'd be better that way anyway, because if I'm going out on the battlefield, I'd rather do it with lots of training and experience than being deployed in a quick fix due to a lack of troops. Seems like we'd just be marching to our slaughter at that point. But like I said, I would already be in it, because I'm gonna be joining the Military most likely, because I like what they can do for me.

But if I really was averse to it, I was just dodge the draft. I don't imagine that it'd be too hard. Worst comes to worst, I'm sailing away before I go to jail for not picking up a weapon. I don't agree with conscription, but I can see the value and the reasoning behind it. While I would never condone forced combat of this nature, it is what it is.

Last edited:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Hahaha, and what makes you think that prison will be any better? What happens when someone decides to try and rape you, or decides that they hate your guts for no reason, and try to take you down every single day?

Hahaha, and what makes you think that all that doesn't happen in the military, too?

I don't think I'm missing the bigger picture at all. I'm not alive to be someone's pawn. Both prison and in the army you will be a changed person when you go home, but with the army you may not even have a chance to go home. Why would I fight for a country that puts this restriction on me in the first place? Fighting should be choice, and choice only. A friend of mine died young, my grandfather suffered from mental illness from it, my great uncle was crippled for the rest of his life.
So sure, if all of you think it's just about going to camp and doing a few pushups then you can go and do that and I won't stop you. I know it's not just about that either, but like I said.. it should be choice. I've never been personally, but all I've ever known from war is seeing all the pain, suffering, rape, brutality, and nameless death.
Someone I know recently got married, and then her husband had to go for duty. They are putting their life on hold.. for what? Is it really for the lives for others? How? Maybe you believe that, but I don't. What exactly is he doing? I could understand if it's for a mission in Africa or something.. but it's not. It's routine ********.

The government doesn't care. Why do you think they cut corners in veteran hospitals? My ex's uncle had cancer (from fighting in vietnam) got transferred from one to a public hospital with better resources, and was getting better. As soon as he was, they shoved him back in the vet hospital. Where there weren't enough nurses and had to wait 2 hours for a simple glass of water. It's BS. They don't care. He ended up dying there over an infection that spread because there wasn't enough staff. Good job, America.

A good friend of mine's ex's brother changed his mind and didn't want to serve. But he was the breadwinner in the family. They threw him in jail anyways and the ex had to struggle to support his 2 younger brothers, putting school on hold to try and find work. Why is this penalty in place??? How can anyone say that the government care about its people???

I'm rambling now because I'm frustrated.

Sorry if I offended anyone who's in the army now, but all I've ever seen from it is the negativity that comes from being enlisted. I don't actually know anyone who has finished serving who didn't die, or hasn't suffered in some way. Please enlighten me if you have a good story that you've experienced personally, I actually NEED some good feedback for it, so please share.

TL;DR= I have my reasons for not wanting to ever join the army so don't patronize me and tell me I'm "missing the bigger picture" when I've had my fair share of seeing what the army can do to someone you love first-hand. Plus, forcing you to fight to keep themselves a "free" country sounds pretty contradictory to me. No thanks.

Last edited:

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Dude, your comedic relief will straight up win you fights, man!

Have you seen any war movies???? The joker always dies!!!!! They may be the best bud of the main character but they always end up dying!!! I don't want to be the reason the main character goes through massive character development for the benefit of the story, I want to live!!

Back