• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Lavender Town Music Conspiracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dempa

Fire Pokemon Trainer
Years
Hey guys, i'm new here and would just like to share something that I found.
It's about a series of suicides that apparently occured with the release of Pokemon Red and Green in Japan.
I, personally have decided it untrue but I'll let you guys form your own opinion. Discuss your thoughts on it :).

pastebin(dot)com / f71e6728f

Sorry guys, I can't post a URL without posting 15 times first.
Remove the two spaces and replace (dot) with .

Also, if this is in the wrong section, I apologize and feel free to move it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2010
I think it's certainly false... if someone can show me ACTUAL news reports on it I'll believe it. But either way... that's a very scary thought.
I've seen mention of it other forums, but no solid proof.

Last edited:

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
man....that's scary..idk if it is really true....i hope it's not.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
God I think I just scared myself to death. My guess is that it is 99.8% Fake. If anything like that did happen, then we would see news reports. I don't know what the end is supposed to be insinuating though. Is there supposed to be a random flash of scenes on the screen, therefore causing permanant brain damage and hallucination? Programming like that could be seen by anyone really. Programming is hard to hide, and I don't think something like that could've been missed by the thousands of programmers working on the project. Seriously though, this thing scared the #### out of me! See I hate this story because now I won't want to start a Pokemon Red game without freaking out that I'm going to go insane and kill myself.

Years
Wow, that's very interesting, but I don't see how it can be true. How could anyone document the man seeing children and the game designer? He killed himself before he could. I really don't think It's true, but a very interesting story nonetheless.

Myles

Seriously?
Years
It's obvious this wasn't written with the intent of making people think it was true. It's just a story...

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
C'mon
thats like the rumour of tails doll
where people actaully believed a made-up character enters people's home and kill them
:/

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
Well, even though I believe this is fake (and even if it is the most fake sounding thing ever invented by a human mind) I am at least going to research this. But yes, I think this is just made up to scare people.

Alright, I've just finished my research (I'm editing it in right now BTW) and I've concluded that not only is this account fake, but it is also the only recorded account on the entire Internet. I've searched various names, times, and rates. The only seemingly factual thing about it is the fact that Suicide rates did slightly go up during the release of Pokemon Red/Blue, but it had been increasing already since late 1994. Also, Chiro Miura turned up little to no results whatsoever, neither did Kahki Nosino. There is not a casefile as Japan's NPA (National Police Agency, equivelant to the FBI), and therefore there never was any case. So I am pleased to say that this is nothing more or less than a (VERY) scary story.

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
He admitted the bg music of lavender town made people ill

Thats funny i was actaully ill at home during my stay in lavender town

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
People suicide in Japan because as time goes on, the Japanese society gets more and more strict. My friend went to Japan and EVERYTHING is 24/7 because people work and work and work all of the time, and if you don't finish school, you're screwed, and your family gets all ticked off, thus why most young adults / adolescents who don't do well in school suicide over there. If you read Great Teacher Onizuka, the crazy math teacher is an example. He wanted to study butterflies, but to appease society and his family, he was forced to becoming a mathematics teacher. He goes insane at the end, and it's only understandable with all the pressure from both the society and his family.

Lavender Town music always made me sick lol I always tried to stay away from Lavender when I was seven playing R/B/Y.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
I've done a bit more research and their is a bit more truth to the story. After the original release of Red/Green (This is mildy proven mind you, but I believe it is true) about 200 games were returned because the Music in Lavender Town was causing insomnia, headache, and nosebleeds. The reason being was 3 high notes that were consecutively played in the original's chorus. There were only 2 reported cases of suicide, but these were thought NOT to be caused by the games, but by other sources in the children's lifes. I am sad to say that most of this information is heard by a third party, so I am not sure if any of this is true, but several people heard of the case.

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I've done a bit more research and their is a bit more truth to the story. After the original release of Red/Green (This is mildy proven mind you, but I believe it is true) about 200 games were returned because the Music in Lavender Town was causing insomnia, headache, and nosebleeds. The reason being was 3 high notes that were consecutively played in the original's chorus. There were only 2 reported cases of suicide, but these were thought NOT to be caused by the games, but by other sources in the children's lifes. I am said to say that most of this information is heard by a third party, so I am not sure if any of this is true, but several people heard of the case.

Do yout hink there would be a MIDI of this
just to say how bad it is
cause i can sit and listen to anything really

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
a MIDI is a in game song music
wot the M.I.D.I stands for i dont know but its the music you hear in game

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2010
Even as the music stands right now, hearing that downs-syndrome music composition that is played in Lavender town makes me tend towards suicide. They somehow made the harmony dissonant and it sounds awful.

Second, there is a more strict definition of MIDI than you think. What you hear coming out of the GB when you play that is not truly MIDI. It doesn't have such features as panning, a whole set of 128 instruments, or even polyphony (playing multiple notes from a single channel) from what I can tell. It has the same concept (it makes music from note data rather than from raw sound waves), but it is not the same as MIDI.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
Years
LOVED this story. <3

This is truly brillant, and a good read.
Made you keep guessing, really.

But thank goodness this is exactly what it is, A STORY.

I so totally feel like writing this story in the form of a novel.

However, I don't see how Pokemon wasn't banned after these happenings everywhere and all things pokemon were recalled.

I actually like the Lavender Town music, really.
It's spooky :3

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
If there is anyway to re-consruct MIDI
someone should re insert those "3-high-pitched notes" then we could all see the truth for ourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back