• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon game Habits

Cronozona

Pokemon Expert
Years
I save my game before important events. I almost always nickname my Pokemon. I pick starters based on a specific game. Example: Squirtle for Fire red/Red, Blue, Leaf green. Gold/Silver/Crystal, would be Cyndaquil or Totodile. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald would be Mudkip...etc. I usually have a wreck less battle style without many supporting moves. Evolve every Pokemon I can. Always play as a male. Also, finally effectively using type advantages when available.

Turboblaze

Blazing Aura
Years
I tend to turn away when I throw a Pokeball ( even the master ball sometimes) at a legendary Pokemon that has a low capture rate. Also, when I have two or more games from the same generation, I have a female and a male character whose names both start with the same letter. It's just something I've been doing since R/S/E.

Last edited:

Madic0

Years
Used to have a terrible habit of saving before every trainer. Since then, it's waned into saving whenever there's a chance one of my Pokémon might faint outside of my consent.

That's another one: keeping my 'mons alive as often as I can. But that seems pretty universal.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Nothing really interesting to share, my main habit would be: Having the cat-Pokemon of the game's region (such as Purrloin in Unova). I also only nickname my favorite Pokemon, the others I'll just keep them the way they are.

DelightedTurk

Hipsterest Hypno in the land
Years
I always repeatedly mash the A button when trying to catch a Pokémon.

And when I first got Diamond, I would always use my stylus to trace the outline of the Pokéball on the bottom screen while my move was being performed.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
In my theory, its holding the A button for catching, avoid pressing the B button as it gives bad luck. For the new DS games, I use my stylus and touch the Pokemball thats on the 2nd screen.

This image will tell you what I meant.
fV4h1.jpg

And a weird one, everytime I save in my HG, I always put my Pokemon on the right of me in the game before saving xD

I also do this too, and in my Yellow game.

Years
-I generally try to save in cities or towns that I like and usually with a lot to do, at least after I've finished the game (Celadon City or Four Island in Kanto, Goldenrod City in Johto, Lilycove or Slateport City in Hoenn, The Under in Colosseum, Realgam Tower or Gateon Port in XD, Veilstone or Hearthome City in Sinnoh, and Castelia City in Unova).
-I never press any buttons when capturing Pokemon.
-I try to keep the Pokemon in my Boxes in a non-regimented order (i.e. I leave open spaces and deliberately diversify them by type and level).
-I usually nickname about a quarter to a third of my Pokemon. However, in Black I've made a point to name every single one (after the first hundred or so, the names get really contrived), and I've nicknamed about half in White 2.
-Within each game, I either choose all-caps or "regular" capitalization and use that kind of capitalization for all of the nicknames I give (so if I named my Zubat "Batty" and my Rattata "Ratty", I would either have it be "Batty" and "Ratty" or "BATTY" and "RATTY").
-I try to always keep a Pokemon in the Day Care so I don't feel like my steps are wasted.
-I never give Pokemon Berries as held items (or anything else that's single-use).
-I never use my real name for my trainer, my rival, or any of my Pokemon.
-I heal overzealously, generally whenever even one of my Pokemon has taken more than a third of its HP in damage, has any status condition, or has used more than 5 PP of at least one move (unless I'm navigating a route for the first time, fighting a Gym, or doing anything else such that healing would be inconvenient).

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2013
I always stock Pokeballs and buy them in 10s
I buy items in 10s xD
I button mash when I catch Pokemons. That's just some of my habits xD

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Repeatedly mashing A and/or B during speech then once of the conversation ends, wondering what I'm meant to do next.

Rissa_Napier23

The Lass Class Trainer
Years
~I always save inside of buildings. I'd hate for my character to be left outside in the cold!

~I always hold my breath when I catch Pokemon. And I swear when they don't stay caught.

~When I lose to an NPC trainer, I have a bad habit of ragequitting.

~I always alphabetize everything that I can in my bag. (The TM and Berry pockets drive me insane. ;~;)

~I also seperate my pokemon by type, and organize them in the type boxes by level.

~I always nickname my permanent teams, and the names are always something /really/ predictable, say Blaze for Arcanine or something. (I recall naming a Groudon fireman one time. I don't even know why. o_o)

~before I reach the first gym, no matter what game, all of my pokemon have to be at least level 15 or higher.

~Also, when I was much younger I'd feel terrible about catching legendaries. As soon as I caught them for Pokedex info, I'd release them right away. (Especially considering I also felt like I lost battles a lot more when I had them in my PC. superstitious, much?)

~Oh, and I always have to have a Persian on my team. They give me Giovanni feels. ;~;

Years
I always press left and B when catching a pokemon, or the same when I don't want its health to fully deplete so I can catch him.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
on DS when battling I tend to touch the screen when the attack comes, makes me feel like I had an effect xD

I tend to repeatedly tap the screen when catching a pokemon and nearly breaking it when it fails xD

I nickname all my Pokemon, if I accidently don't it's straight to the Name Rater xD

and like a million other weird habits xD

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
I usually almost always have to say the game after I heal up pokemon and I am waiting out in front of the Pokemon Center, I always rapidly press the A button when catching a pokemon and when reading through dialouge, I also can not buy like 13 or 16 etc items it has to be 5, 10, 15, 20 etc.

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
For some reason I hold B when the Pokeball opens until it closes, and press B every time the ball shakes. Ahahaha. Within the game I try my best for Crobat asap, although Espeon and Umbreon are my favourites, I adore Crobat.

Rewy

untitled follower
Years
Habits eh?
  • Tapping A repeatedly (and unconsciously almost) while the pokeball shakes.
  • Naming my pokemon after Gundams.... (I don't even know why!)
  • On my main games, which I hoard the National dex completions, the pokemon need to be in numerical order in the boxes and the boxes named with the last pokedex number of the pokemon that's in there.
  • Catch all formes and they too have their own box. (Oh god all of the Unown..., but I did it...)
  • Unowns have their own box.
  • Event pokemon have their own box - They are excluded with empty spaces in the normal pokemon boxes.
  • Buy antidotes and such always in stack of 5.
  • I rarely buy pokeballs themselves, but Dusk and Quick Balls, always must buy 20 and 10 at a time.
  • Save always before gym leader / E4 / stationary legendary...

These apply only when playing first time...
  • Read up on what pokemon are on the next routes. And Memorize them.
  • Read all of the dialogue.
  • Plan entire team and movesets.
  • Hoard items and use all the vitamin like things just before E4, including rare candies to get everyone to an even level.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I randomy mash down the B button during a Pokeball throw if the first one didn't capture.

I always choose the female playable trainer and she is either named "Lisa" or "Ashley."

I always train one cat Pokemon as part of my in-game team. Said cat Pokemon is always female.

I nickname my main party Pokemon. And to tie my last two points together my cat Pokemon usually gets whatever name of "Ashley" or "Lisa" I didn't choose for my trainer.

I like to battle major bosses being at least 5 levels ahead of them.

I tend to empty my cash reserves before facing certain trainers and then don't spend anything at all for long stretches at a time. When I shop I like to have the total quantity of items I have to be a multiple of 5.

Remmeber my mandatory cat Pokemon? Once I get the Amulet Coin my cat Pokemon is the one who holds it (probably a holdover from Meowth/Persian learning Pay Day).

I save certain trainers in a given route until last and go after certain others first.

Unless I'm really tired I like to make it into a town and its Pokemon Center before saving and stopping the game especially if I'm retiring for the night.

I save constantly.

Back