• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 26, 2013
Awesome, Scyther's moveset in gen 1 games is down right dreadful. I decided not to chain him with Lapras btw, no point in trying to chain breed for nothing.

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
Training Help

Hey guys, I'm working on my Pokedex in Red version and I just caught a Rhyhorn. I know I'm gonna have to rough it out and grind to get it up to evolving but I was wondering what you recommend I do to make it more tolerable? As of right now it only knows Horn Attack and that's kind of a pain.

Here's my predicament: I've already used my Dig and Earthquake TM (I figure those would have been good for some powerful 1 hit kills while grinding him but alas what's done is done) and I also want to evolve him before going through Victory Road. (Just a self imposed challenge of sorts) So, any ideas/tips? :D

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Hey guys, I'm working on my Pokedex in Red version and I just caught a Rhyhorn. I know I'm gonna have to rough it out and grind to get it up to evolving but I was wondering what you recommend I do to make it more tolerable? As of right now it only knows Horn Attack and that's kind of a pain.

Here's my predicament: I've already used my Dig and Earthquake TM (I figure those would have been good for some powerful 1 hit kills while grinding him but alas what's done is done) and I also want to evolve him before going through Victory Road. (Just a self imposed challenge of sorts) So, any ideas/tips? :D

Well for starters, you could teach it TM48, Rock Slide if you still have it, which is obtained from the girl on top of the Celadon Dept. Store. I also recommend training it at the Pokémon Mansion on Cinnabar Island. It'll resist a lot of moves there and can fight some decent levelled Pokémon.

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
Well for starters, you could teach it TM48, Rock Slide if you still have it, which is obtained from the girl on top of the Celadon Dept. Store. I also recommend training it at the Pokémon Mansion on Cinnabar Island. It'll resist a lot of moves there and can fight some decent levelled Pokémon.

Oh thank you so so much. I have been training it in Pokemon Mansion, I've gotten up to level 39. I forgot all about my Rock Slide TM though! I was going to teach that to my Aerodactyl but he can't learn it! I'm pretty sure Lance's knows it though so how is that fair! lol But thank you very much Rock Slide is going to make these last few levels all that much easier. :)

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
Beginner Questions about the Games

EDIT: I've changed my mind on what Pokémon to use in R/B/Y, I posted a message in the IG Battle Team thread.
I have some new questions:
How is Arcanine not awesome? I saw it's a lower tier competitive Pokémon, yet its stats are really high. I wanted one. :(
Is Hypno worth it? I can't get Pokémon that have to be traded IG.
Is Starmie a good Pokémon with potential? I'm worried about its low-ish HP.

Is there a way to IV/EV train in R/B/Y?

If I keep Arcanine (assuming it's a good choice) which starter should I choose? I'm really impatient to play!

Thank you for reading. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
EDIT: I've changed my mind on what Pokémon to use in R/B/Y, I posted a message in the IG Battle Team thread.
I have some new questions:
How is Arcanine not awesome? I saw it's a lower tier competitive Pokémon, yet its stats are really high. I wanted one. :(
Is Hypno worth it? I can't get Pokémon that have to be traded IG.
Is Starmie a good Pokémon with potential? I'm worried about its low-ish HP.

Is there a way to IV/EV train in R/B/Y?

If I keep Arcanine (assuming it's a good choice) which starter should I choose? I'm really impatient to play!

Thank you for reading. :)

I'm not to good with IV/EV training. But I can say that you should only get Arcanine if you're willing to have a Growlithe for a while. Unless you're just going to teach it Fire Blast from the TM, it's a long wait until Flamethrower, which only Growlithe can learn, once it's an Arcanine if you don't already have it, kiss it goodbye. I use Arcanine on my team in Red and it does just fine for what I need it for. Although with the game completely beat the only thing I end up needing it for is Jynx and Exeggcutor in the Elite Four's Pokemon.

I'm not sure how well Starmie does in game but one thing to note is that it can learn Recover. So even if it's low HP worries you, it has a decent healing move.

And this is somewhat an opinion with a little bit of fact but I really favor Bulbasaur as a starter. Mainly because there just isn't very many grass Pokemon worth using (to me). Also once you have a Venusaur with Razor Leaf in Red and Blue, it ALWAYS get a critical hit. (It has something technical to do with the calculator that I have trouble understanding but I know that it works.) Leech Seed and Toxic are nice things for it to stall. And it can learn Sleep Powder (Even if it is at level 55). I usually go for Body Slam, Razor Leaf, Toxic, and Leech Seed on my Venusaur in Red.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I was asked to post this here:

Does anyone know how to get Celebi in Pokémon Crystal? Back then before my Crystal version dried up, I always wanted to get one but never knew how. I only knew that it involved the small shrine in Ilex Forest and a GS Ball but I didn't know how to get the GS Ball. Should I get my Crystal version fixed, I want to get Celebi this time around. Any help is appreciated.

Years
Choosing a Team

I've been considering team after team when it came to starting over and over in my Gold version; (I am unsure, though) what specifically would one use in terms of type arrangement?

Does anyone have a simple preclusion to this question of mine?

Thank you!
~vEzekiaLv

Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2016
I know it's like 2 weeks ago that you posted the question about Celebi, but it's better late than never, eh?

You can get Celebi with GS Ball in Japanese Crystal only and even there you get the item via an event. In our verions of Crystal there is no GS Ball. But there is a weird glitch enabling one to get a Celebi. All I know is that you need a Bad Clone and Sneasel at lvl 57 (or even two, I guess, it's because you need a Pokemon with Beat Up). If you want any further info, I suggest you look it up at Bulbapedia (search for GSC Glitches).

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
I've been considering team after team when it came to starting over and over in my Gold version; (I am unsure, though) what specifically would one use in terms of type arrangement?

Does anyone have a simple preclusion to this question of mine?

Thank you!
~vEzekiaLv

I personally use these types almost always on my teams.

Grass
Fire
Water
Electric
Psychic
Dragon

I'm not to sure of what the "best" all around type would be but in theory the more variety on your team the better prepared it is to deal with something. But I'm sure there are cases where this will prove to also not be true. Yay Pokemon!

Bug.Catcher.Nakata

Alert but not Alarmed
Years
I've been playing pokemon Yellow, and my fighting moves have been "not very effective" against pidgey and spearow. Is this an emulator glitch, or a game glitch, or am I just really stupid for some reason?

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
I'm probably wrong but since they're part flying wouldn't that be the reason why it's saying that they aren't very effective?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I've been playing pokemon Yellow, and my fighting moves have been "not very effective" against pidgey and spearow. Is this an emulator glitch, or a game glitch, or am I just really stupid for some reason?

I was gonna write this, but Bulbapedia does it better.
In Generation I, Pokémon with two types that have a weakness and resistance to the same type receive neutral damage from that type, but the incorrect message is displayed.
For example, Grass-type moves do neutral damage to Gyarados, but if Gyarados is hit by a Grass-type move, the game erroneously states that the attack is "not very effective...".
The game prioritizes on which message to display for each 'special' scenario (where normal damage is not dealt) based on each scenario's internal ordering. The higher the ordering determines what message the game will display. Grass against Water as 200% damage for instance is the 4th entry, whilst Grass against Flying as 50% damage is the 27th. Consequently in this example the game chooses the message for scenario #27, returning the wrong message "It's not very effective...".
This glitch does not occur in Pokémon Stadium.
If an attack is super effective or not very effective against one type and does no damage against another type (for example, Dig against Charizard), the game will erroneously state that the attack missed.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2013
Help with team setup in Silver.

Hi,

So I blew some dust of my GameBoy Color, and inserted the Pokemon Silver game, and what a feeling!
I've missed this :D

But I'm trying to put together a very strong team, that i will level up to max.
So far I've decided to use:

Kingdra
Crobat
Tyranitar
Ampharos
Typhlosion
Espeon

Does this look good? Anything you would do different?
(I don't have anyone to trade with, or else I would replace Espeon with Gengar or Alakazam.)

And, i can use 7 Pokemons, right? Any suggestion for a last Pokemon in my team?

Thanks.

theoblivinator

1337 Poisons
Years
  • Age 33
  • Iowa
  • Seen Apr 30, 2022
If you can't trade then you won't be able to use Kingdra since getting it requires trading a Seadra holding a Dragon Scale.

If you still want to use a Dragon type in its place you can receive a Dratini from the Game Coner in Goldenrod City as a prize. While it takes a lot of training and is rather difficult to use in-game through the main story, when reaches it's final evolution it becomes one of the most powerful Pokemon in the game that isn't a legendary.

Remember you can only have six Pokemon on your party at a time. You can use as many as you want through your adventure, just only six at a time.

Other than that your team looks good and will do just fine in-game.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2013
If you can't trade then you won't be able to use Kingdra since getting it requires trading a Seadra holding a Dragon Scale.

If you still want to use a Dragon type in its place you can receive a Dratini from the Game Coner in Goldenrod City as a prize. While it takes a lot of training and is rather difficult to use in-game through the main story, when reaches it's final evolution it becomes one of the most powerful Pokemon in the game that isn't a legendary.

Remember you can only have six Pokemon on your party at a time. You can use as many as you want through your adventure, just only six at a time.

Other than that your team looks good and will do just fine in-game.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
Google'd aroud abit for some good teams, and this is what Im looking at right now:

Typhlosion
Crobat
Ampharos
Lapras
Dragonite
Tyranitar
Espeon

This is 7 Pokemons, so I would need to remove one.
Any suggestion to who I should remove? Or maby replace two pokemons with one that can do abit of both?

Also, witch moveset should the have? ^^

Years
I'd say to remove Crobat... Poison types aren't that useful in Gen II, even with Toxic + Double Team.

There aren't many Eletric types out there, so you can keep your Ampharo, but I don't like using slow Eletrics... just a preference.

Do you already know how to evolve your Eevee into Espeon, right? ^^

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2013
I'd say to remove Crobat... Poison types aren't that useful in Gen II, even with Toxic + Double Team.

There aren't many Eletric types out there, so you can keep your Ampharo, but I don't like using slow Eletrics... just a preference.

Do you already know how to evolve your Eevee into Espeon, right? ^^

Aiit, remove Crobat.. Il just use it until I have the full team to lvl up.
Yes, I need to levet Eevee up with friendship during the morning/day. Don't know the best way for this though.

So , this under here would be a good team throughout the whole game? :)
Typhlosion
Ampharos
Lapras
Dragonite
Tyranitar
Espeon

Do you have a suggestion for moves they should have?

Years
Breed the Eevee you received to get an Eevee from the egg, it will come with 120 of happiness, that is, more than half you need. Use some vitamins (like Carbos and Calcium) and don't forget to cut your Eevee's hair everyday (but Monday, cause the haircut brothers don't appear in Monday).

Besides that, I don't know other suggestions... For moves, if you could do it, and since you're going for a Egg, try to breed an Eevee with Bite! It might be useful for your Espeon.

Both Dragonite and Tyranitar are physical attackers, so try to choose moves like Earthquake and Rock Slide for them. Despite Crunch being special you can't forget to put in your Tyranitar, though.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2013
With theese pokemons listed below, which pokemons should have what HM here? I would like to have the most useful HMs in my standard team. (Fly, Surf, Flash, Strength and Cut. Maby whirlpool and waterfall aswell?)

Typhlosion
Ampharos
Lapras
Dragonite
Tyranitar
Espeon

And also, Tyranitar is a pretty late-game Pokemon, any suggenstion for a Pokemon I can use until I get him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back