• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to insert cries with Pokecry

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
HOW TO INSERT CRIES INTO A POKEMON ROM

People on Youtube have been bugging the crap out of me over this, so I finally made a tutorial.

DISCLAIMER: Do NOT do anything else besides what is stated in this video with Pokecry. Pokecry is a primative program and it has bugs - these bugs are avoidable if you use this process, however if you mess with the program, you may accidentally ERASE YOUR ENTIRE ROM. IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME AND IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU IF YOU MESS AROUND WITH THE PROGRAM. ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR HACK, ESPECIALLY WHEN USING A PROGRAM OR METHOD YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED BEFORE OR AREN'T FAMILIAR WITH. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY DESTROY YOUR ROM.

HOW TO MAKE THIS PROGRAM WORK IN FIRE RED VERSION (USA version only!)
When you open Pokecry, type "48C914" in the text box titled "TableOffset". It only works while the program is open, when you close the program you must type it back in again.

HOW TO MAKE THIS PROGRAM WORK IN EMERALD VERSION (USA version only!)
When you open Pokecry, type "69DCF4" in the text box titled "TableOffset". It only works while the program is open, when you close the program you must type it back in again.

Anyhow, here are written instructions to help you out:

YOU WILL NEED:
-Pokecry (available through the Elitemap37 package)
-A GBA Pokemon Rom (Pokecry does not support Emerald in its base form, but the table is easy for me to locate, but I don't think it lines up %100 properly, so do not ask me right away how to get it to work.) It is preferable you make a copy to use so that you can test a cry's size before importing it.
-A sound editor (Audacity is prefered, but I use Wavosaur because it doesn't require installation)
-A sound you would like to insert (optional)

1. First, pick a sound you would like to insert into the game. You can also record your own voice or sounds, but you'll have a much wider repotoire if you seach online.

2. You will then want to edit this sound in a sound editor. Four things are very important to keep in mind when editing your sound:
- The sound's frequency must be 11050 Hz.
- The sound's bitrate must be 8Bit.
- The sound must only have one channel (mono)
- The sound must be short enough to be inserted into the allocated spot. (you could possibly use another, longer cry, then repoint, but it's a tedious process)

It is difficult to judge whether a song will fit, and the only way to get a definitive answer is to insert it into a "dummy copy rom". Save the file as a PCM Wav Audio file.

3. Open Pokecry. Select Click the first file selection box, and select the dummy rom. Then, select the second file selection box, and select your wav. In the Poke ID box, select the game's ID for the Pokemon's cry you want to replace. For the sake of this tutorial, I did Treecko, who is 277. Click "Encode".

4. An important to thing to keep in mind is to check the file size - it must be smaller than the space allocated for the original cry, unless you know how to repoint. When you click "Sample", it refreshes the size of the WAV sample and the game's sample size. However, these do not match unless you have actually extracted the sound from the game, so you must click "Dump" to extract the sound (rename the sound on the filename of the second file - your wav file, because the program does not overwrite the file). If it's too big, trim the length of the sound and try again. This can get a bit trial and error based.

5. Once your sound is small enough and is just the way you want it, select your hack for the first file selection (the .gba one) and click "encode".

6. Test it in the game to see if its how you want it. Normal cries are played at .9 the pitch of the original sample.

Questions? Comments? Feel free to respond, just read and watch the tutorial before saying anything ;_;

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Once thing I noticed about cries when inserted is the maximum length hovers around ~1.36 seconds. Is there any way to bypass the limit? I remember in your hack there was pokemon cries about 2-3 seconds long, but those were mixed and matched cries.

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
No, because of the length of the sample :/

It needs to be shorter than the original cry, or else it'll screw up the next one. You could repoint it if you wanted to, but it's a lot more work, so unless you need to bypass it, I wouldn't.

By the way, the repoint button repoints the table, NOT the cry. DON'T MESS AROUND WITH IT. REPOINT MANUALLY IN A HEX EDITOR.

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
If your new cries are longer than the existing one, then you need to repoint it.
You can view my tutorial for reference, though.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Once thing I noticed about cries when inserted is the maximum length hovers around ~1.36 seconds. Is there any way to bypass the limit? I remember in your hack there was pokemon cries about 2-3 seconds long, but those were mixed and matched cries.
What Shiny Quagsire meant was, that even if you repoint the cry, it will not work unless it's shorter than app. 1.36 seconds. At least for Fire Red.

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
Years
Perfect. I changed Geodude's cry to Roggenrola's cry (I added Roggenrola into the game) and it worked perfectly. This IS on a test rom, mind, but still perfect nontheless.
Thanks a lot mate.

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
What Shiny Quagsire meant was, that even if you repoint the cry, it will not work unless it's shorter than app. 1.36 seconds. At least for Fire Red.
Might be the fact that it can't handle sounds longer than that. I've never tried it simply because I was a lazy bum and just made the sounds a bit shorter so I wouldn't need to repoint them :D

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
Years
Corvidae said:
DISCLAIMER: Do NOT do anything else besides what is stated in this video with Pokecry. Pokecry is a primative program and it has bugs - these bugs are avoidable if you use this process, however if you mess with the program, you may accidentally ERASE YOUR ENTIRE ROM. IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME AND IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU IF YOU MESS AROUND WITH THE PROGRAM. ALWAYS BACKUPhttp://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=241140# YOUR HACK, ESPECIALLY WHEN USING A PROGRAM OR METHOD YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED BEFORE OR AREN'T FAMILIAR WITH. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY DESTROY YOUR ROM.
HxD creates .bak files automatically. ;)

Also, this can happen with Advance Trainer too. :(

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 4, 2011
HOW TO MAKE THIS PROGRAM WORK IN FIRE RED VERSION (USA version only!)
When you open Pokecry, type "48C914" in the text box titled "TableOffset". It only works while the program is open, when you close the program you must type it back in again.

I have Fire Red USA version and this doesn't work on mine. It still doesn't recognise the game. I tried it with the ROM I'm working on and on the fresh one that hasn't had anything done to it. Nothing seems to happen.

Can anybody take a stab as to why this might be happening?

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2012
uh, i can only add 1 more cry to the game. Like, I added Darkrai's cry to a new Pokemon slot i made (replaced one of the ???????? using another tutorial) but when i try to add Shaymin's (another pokemon that replaced another ???????) it overwrites Darkrai's cry :/

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
uh, i can only add 1 more cry to the game. Like, I added Darkrai's cry to a new Pokemon slot i made (replaced one of the ???????? using another tutorial) but when i try to add Shaymin's (another pokemon that replaced another ???????) it overwrites Darkrai's cry :/

It's because those ?????? are Unowns and that makes all ??????? have the Unkown cry therefore overwriting them all...

Back