• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive battling on Wi-Fi or Pokemon Online?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
There are two sides of competitive battling in this generation: wifi battling, and then there's Pokemon Online (there's also the other battle simulators but they don't apply right now, but I guess you can answer if you used them or not?)

Which do you use? Why do you use the one you use?

For those who prefer wifi: Why do you spend the time/hours EV training to play wifi when you could do it all on PO?

For those who prefer PO: Do you play competitive only on PO? If so, do you plan to go back to wifi battling?

If you do both, why do you still battle competitively both ways?

Discuss! Please don't answer this like it's a list, just questions to form your answer on! :(

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I generally use Pokémon Online because I can use new Pokémon quickly and if it doesn't work, I can change it quickly without the long process I would need to go through if I was playing on Wifi of EV Training and whatnot. I can EV train and breed but I generally don't have the time to. I battle both ways because variety is the spice of life and the each of them has their own unique feel.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
I used to use Pokelab, but I recently changed to PO when I found it... somewhere or another. I tried battling on wifi a LOOOOOONG time ago and I lost XD I would like to battle on wifi too, but I have no access... But even though I can't use wifi, I still try to create teams on my DS. I'll also make them on PO to test them. Which always fails XD I never knew anybody on Pokelab, so I never really tested my teams on there. I saw PO... man, I don't even remember where, but I saw that it had BW Pokemon so I switched to it. I like stuff like PO because you can make Pokemon immediately and not waste time on EVs and breeding and stuff.

infersaime

Come and get me
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I use PO mainly because I'm impatient with Wi-Fi to train my pokemon to level 100.
And it is easier to find a match.
I tried do do Wi-fi but I'm just too impatient to train but when I actually find some time. I will battle online on wi-fi. And I play competivly but sometimes just not.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I use PO simply because my WiFi absolutely refuses to work with my DS. That and the fact that with replay viewers now, I can't make the argument of preferring to watch the moves happen :P

and Like all those before me have said, PO is instantaneous. No training, no breeding required. MUCH easier to build teams that way than to breed a Mon, train it, then find out to don't like it or that you need/want a different nature.

Oh yeah, and the fact that PO battles have a faster pace anyways. DS battles take too long for me. When I battle I like to finish it as quick as possible.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
Years
I use to shoddy back in the day, but then that took a PO in the knee. [/shot]

no but seriously i'm on PO because atm i can't afford to buy B/W. If i had the cash i would so be on wifi.

I like how PO is more instantaneous with everything, but it serves as a good test to train and breed actual pokeymanz, im definitely catching a drought ninetales and making a sun team for wifi. PO also serves as experience, I've faced a lot of different teams on PO which makes it easier to predict when i will...(presumably) see it on wifi.

Years
Wifi is too much hassle and training and work for me these days. Plus, you can't really be successful on Wifi unless you cheat or RNG to get the right hidden powers, IV spreads, etc. PO is just easier.

Years
Does anyone use Pokemon Online?

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you use Pokemon Online for WiFi battling? I have used it before, and it is rather good. I know that WiFi battling can be a pain on the DS, because you can't hack in stuff and it takes forever to train, breed, set up, catch, etc.Opinions?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Pokemon Online is very good for battles if you don't like training, breeding and all that. It's also very good if you're going to try a team. You can find out whether it works or not before making it in your game. It saves a lot of time.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Basically the whole of CBC uses Pokemon Online, lmao. PokeCommunity even has it's own server on there. Playing on Wifi is fools play. :>

Years
I see that my thread was moved to here, so ignore the question that was asked earlier by me. And I use Pokemon Online, because I, like lots, am to impatient to train breed etc.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
I mainly use PO for battling needs because my DS most of the time is locked away and in the few moments it is out, i don't have Wi-fi Connection. :\

Years
Only ever use PO, much quicker and requires less effort, and it's easier to get a battle against people who know their stuff, unlike random wifi noobs that you might find.

$lowking

King of the Hill
Years
Hi. I generally play WiFi. The main reason I like to EV train is because it is an aspect to the games I think one should take advantage of. Although, after your 6th or 7th Pokemon that you EV train, it gets annoying, but I still like it. I started to mess around with Shoddy Battle recently, but I don't enjoy it too much because it does'nt take skill to create a decent team in there. I am not trying to brag, for I couldn't win for my life in there, and I think part of the reason is you just enter some Pokemon. You don't actually train them, which was originally the sole purpose of Pokemon. Another thing I must admit though, is that it is a fantastic program, just like Pokemon Online, for testing teams, but when I find a team I like, I will actually try to recreate it in my game. I don't know. That's just my opinion, but I thought this was an interesting thread nonetheless. :)

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
I use PO. I used to use Wifi but the day RNG abuse was discovered it ruined wifi anyway so lol. If i ever did get back into Wifi id use Pokesav/Pokegen anyway lol.

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 19, 2013
[SIZE="a"]I spend sometimes 8-12 hours at a time EV training my pokes xD it's pretty fun[/SIZE]

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I use PO just because WiFi means I would have to be dedicated and actually plan out teams that work and stuff. :(

Raichupacabra

Villain
Years
PO because it saves a lot of time. It takes a long time to get the Power Items, EV Train the Pokemon, level them up to L100 and get their corresponding items in the Battle Subway. I might plan on going to VGC2012 so I still have a VGC competitive team. But I don't think I'll go back to the tedious process of Wi-Fi Battling unless I ever feel the need to use PokeGen.

I also don't have Wi-Fi on my DS due to a WPA lock so the only way I could battle on Wi-Fi is if I use my Gen IV games on PBR.

Back