• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ray's mapping tutorial-method

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Hm, well Neti, along with a handful of other people, has already written a tutorial on AdvanceMap's features so nothing new there (plus, his was explained very clearly for someone for whom English is their second language). Anyways, if we take out your AdvanceMap "explanation", then the tutorial itself is fairly empty and devoid of anything really helpful. Let's analyze your mapping method:

Step 1: I agree with this. It is always best to plan out your map before you actually begin the process of mapping. So far so good...
Step 2: Add finishing touches!? What about the actual mapping? You go straight from the pre-mapping stages to the post-mapping stage. I think that the main reason why the maps in the Map Rating Thread haven't been as good lately is most likely due to the fact that people don't have proper instuction for the step you missed: the actual mapping. I think a mapping tutorial is pretty useless without telling people how to go through the long, tedious process of making the actual map.
Step 3: Okay, checking your maps also makes sense. Nothing to complain about here.

As others have said, I respectfully disagree on your point about square maps. Square maps can look good too; the trouble is not making things too square. There is a certain, almost nostalgic element in square/Nintendo-styled maps that gives them an appeal which can't be matched by "natural" maps. And when it comes time for playing through a map in an actual hack, square maps are that much more enjoyable to walk through and experience.

So I'd recommend that you revise your tutorial on pretty much every front. You need to go into more detail on the actual process of mapping, which is what this tutorial is focused on at its most basic level, and perhaps even rethink your idea of a good map.
Toodles ~

Thanks for the constructive critizm,the tutorial is under contstruction,thats why i missed the step you're talking about.I'l remake this totally,with better words,but i need help.

And when i was talking about square maps,i meant the too square maps.I'll point that better,you're right.I cant post images,so the tutorial is useless now.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
Years
Thats better...Now people will Understand this alot better...And hopefully Stop complaining...

Oh...Theres a second step 3...But it Doesn't matter...

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
This is rather obsolete, really. As there are much more descriptive and content-rich mapping tutorials out there. So...can you show me how to map a route?

Using this "method", I could create any map, but, I wouldn't know what to do if I wanted/needed a map without a certain element of what this tutorial covers.

Also, where is the part of your explaining Advance Map's functions?

Suggestions:
Make it more descriptive. Let it tell viewers how to map certain things, such as lakes, rivers, mountainous areas, etc. Add the Adv. Map functions thing, or delete it, whichever.

Overall Review:
It's all right, but extremely basic. You need descriptiveness.

Score: 3-4 out of 10.

I'm just giving constructive criticism, which is a bad rating designed to help you out.

Taz Maverick

Inactive
Years
Bah,i find it useful either ways.He told me that he is going to add "how to map a river,a lake etc." just what you told.But i believe this tutorial teaches you a mapping a convinient way of mapping,and its not for total noobs.

The basic functions of a map are in a spoiler,it is a very big section,and the tutorial would be very big(fo mapping tut) and unfriendly,so he hide the section with a spoiler.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I guess people dont need tutorials in mapping.......
actually,they need them,but they are not looking.

Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2013
Another great tutorial from ray :D

Im loving the detail in this guide. And the map warping part really helped me :)

Now, i shall add some custom maps.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Well first of all i don't think you are skilled enough in mapping to create a tutorial on it... Seeing as the map you posted is sort of a jumbled up fury.

People who have earned the respect as excellent mappers such as Disturbed, Styles, Master_Of_Puppets (he is new yet very very good), Haefele, and Neti. Some of whom have already released a tut.

I have to agree with RaiRai.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Despite that i have not skills to make a tutorial,i made it so it will grow with me.Skilled enough?You mean i'm not in PC like 1 year,that what you mean?

Last edited:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Could you ever say something good for me?Nah,lets keep the good words for the best-est hackers.

Despite that i have not skills to make a tutorial,i made it so it will grow with me.

xD sorry, I was in a bit of a rush too post :P, just giving you a little push to maybe get yourself a little better and then spread yourself around. I remember seeing some great hackers blooming yet they did not even post for ages. Which a lot of the forums are just talk. *points up to scrapbox*

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
No,i'm sorry,the post was a hasty post.I deleted the rude part.You should know that i made this tutorial to grow with my skils as mapper,i'll update it every time i discover something new to mapping.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
No,i'm sorry,the post was a hasty post.I deleted the rude part.You should know that i made this tutorial to grow with my skils as mapper,i'll update it every time i discover something new to mapping.

Sounds great ;), I cannot wait to see how you progress :D

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Thats nice to hear from you.I'll do my best in mapping,cause i like it.

The problem is,i stick with the tiles of trebuh,
and now i can only map with his tiles. X.X

I cant map with other tiles now,i'm cursed to work for trebuh forever. O.O XD

CollinP

My Avi Evolved
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 19, 2009
Thank you for this tutorial- i agree that it is very basic, but for noobs (like me) it's perfect

Back