• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gfx

╰☆╮You're Perfect ❤
Years
Alright, so I use Desmume 0.99 for an emulator. I can not access my Start menu or anything in Volt White. Do I need a different emulator? Or is there a different way to access it then start?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Will a Ditto from my Japanese copy of Soul Silver work for the Masuda Method if I trade it over to my copy of Black or Black 2? The game itself is from Japan but it's played on my US DS/3DS. I've heard that it can be any foreign pokémon but I haven't had much luck in finding out if different generations count or not since the odds have changes with gen 5.

So far I've figured out that I can't actually transfer pokémon from my Japanese game to my US Black 1 or 2 so I trade them to any of my US gen 4 games and then it works fine. The whole process gets tedious so I want to make sure it works before I go Ditto hunting to have a Japanese Ditto army.

Yes, as long as the Ditto is Japanese in an English game, it's still considered foreign. You could perhaps try having someone in Trade Corner help you get that transferred over, since you can't transfer from a Japanese game to an English one. Check out the Quick Trade Thread, and I'm certain someone would be willing to help you out.

Alright, so I use Desmume 0.99 for an emulator. I can not access my Start menu or anything in Volt White. Do I need a different emulator? Or is there a different way to access it then start?

Check out Emulation's Q&A thread.

Years
Urgent: Ditto glitch-Mew-help.

I need help guys.
You know the Ditto glitch, right? You enter the battle with someone then press enter etc. Basically, glitch to get any Pokemon you want.

I got stuck however.
First I went to battle the trainer that's a bit north from the island.
I have an Abra with stats 21. So I go into Mansion and find the ditto, he transforms into Abra, I beat him, and get out. Now I go north, and the color changes from gray to green right before I touch the water, so I assume I entered the area where that trainer is (?), but nothing happens! And since I can't enter water, I am just stuck there. I cant talk to anyone, I cant fight anyone. What do I do?
Is there something I can do?
Where can I find Pokemon that has bigger chance of having special stats 21?

MOD, please don't put this into quick questions. Let it be a topic, and when someone helps me, you can delete the topic....after I see the answer, ofc xD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
MOD, please don't put this into quick questions. Let it be a topic, and when someone helps me, you can delete the topic....after I see the answer, ofc xD

Afraid that's not how it works. :/ Off to Q&A thread it goes. Sorry. Although, it would be beneficial if you asked this in the Q&A thread it goes in. Right now, I don't know what game you're referring to. My only guess is RBY since you said special stat. So...you might be better off asking in the glitch discussion thread and/or the Metal/Color Q&A thread.

toxictwinkie

Mini moose will rule you all
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2014
quick question:

Why didn't the 150 Pokemon trend continue to Gen 2 3 and 4? it just settled to a bit over 100. I wish was they added an exta new 50 to each gen.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
quick question:

Why didn't the 150 Pokemon trend continue to Gen 2 3 and 4? it just settled to a bit over 100. I wish was they added an exta new 50 to each gen.

While there is no official answer for your question, the following answers might be able help you:
  • Memory capacity, adding a Pokemon means adding pile of data, moveset, stats and more;
  • Out of ideas, maybe their limit reached there and couldn't create anymore, so they have to stop there;
  • Unreleased and/or Out of place, there's a rumor that Shellos was going to be in RS, but couldn't make it there. Maybe the GF crew thought that Shellos does not fit in the Hoenn region.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

Years
Getting the Girlfriend to play Pokémon

So I'm getting the girlfriend to play Pokémon for the first time, hoping to make her a fan of the games :P

when I was a child I moved to a small country town where nobody I was friends with played Pokémon and I got all my close friends to play the games, but I decided to get them into the games they had to play a game from each generation so first I made them borrow, Pokémon Blue, then Pokémon silver and then Pokémon emerald, that's when they decided to buy emerald themselves and have bought at least one of the games every generation since, this is how I got 5 of my friends to become Pokémon fans who all still are to day.

Do you think it would be better to make her play the older generations first or just make her borrow a current game? like black or white?

Opinions would be great n.n

Years
I'd say a current game would be fine. The PokeDex is longer and overall just has more features than older games (which tend to have glitches). What I liked about the newer games is how they continue to explain the basics and game mechanics of Pokemon for anyone that is getting into it. Playing Soul Silver and Black 2 made me realize this.

Name

Moémon Master
Years
Playing the same generation as you is really the way to go.
Trading, battling, extranet, join avenue, etc - ways you can interact in the game with her will really go a long way.
Also, help her catch some cute pokemon - my wife tends to play more when she's got a team of cuties.
Show her dream world, while we still have it, that's a really really adorable way to interact as well.

Basically ways in which you two can interact with one another will definitely help to get her hooked into playing pokemon with you.

Good luck!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I'd say let her play HG/SS or Black/White first. HG/SS has many pokémon that she might recognize already, while B/W seem to be generally smoother and arguably better games overall, while still saying true to what makes Pokémon feel like Pokémon.

mucus' advice above here was great too though, at least if she's the person to rather enjoy doing fun things together with you than chillaxing with a game alone.

In any case, as you mostly seem to want her to get into the games, I'll move this over to Pokémon Gaming Central.

... BUT I would also liked to point out that if she's into manga or comics the least bit, you could try to find some volumes of Pokémon Adventures and gift to her together with the games! Or find scanlations online, it's really easy tbh. If she's not into pokémon at all yet, and if she's the same age as you, she might not appreciate the anime as much as you do if you find it when you're a kid. This is a guess, of course. But that manga has much more of a plot and pokémon die and stuff, so maybe she'll think pokémon is cool if she reads that ;)

Anyways,
-moved

Years
Dude, my girlfriend practically hates everything I do.
So, if you get something to work, i would love to know.

CronicHigh

All hail lord Goomy
Years
Haven't played since Gen 3...

Something about Gen 6 when I first seen it really caught my eye and gained my full attention.
I started reading up on it, and determined that I definitely want to get back into the game.
I never thought I'd say that a Pokemon game was my can't miss game of the year, that I'm for sure getting on day 1.
However, I know nothing of Gen 4 and 5, besides what I've seen on YouTube.

As the topic says, I haven't played since Gen 3, and haven't touched the card game in even longer.
I want to get back into the mix, but where do I even begin at?

I've heard alot has changed since the R/S/E days, and the new game looks beautiful.
I'm so excited for it, but also scared that I'll be lost when building a decent team, training my pokemon, or know what I'm doing in general.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
The wonderful thing about Pokemon is that it's stayed primarily the same since the very beginning, so getting back into it wouldn't be difficult at all. The main concept of catching and training whatever you want in order to collect gym badges and battle an evil team is still there. Once you pick it up you'll be surprised to find that it instantly seems very familiar and that playing it feels natural since you've played at least one past game.

If you're worried about training and team building then the only thing that's changed a lot over the years is the experience system. In fact, does anybody know if X/Y will have the same scaled experience system as gen 5?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Third generation games were released nearly a decade ago, so I would recommend you to start again from gen. three and lead yourself up to generation six. You may simply just skip to any generation you like, though, because the storylines make it very easy for you to be pulled into the games. Plus, the mechanics are pretty much the same, so once you get used to them, you will never feel like a stranger to these Pokémon games. (: I won't be able to help you get back into the card game though, because unfortunately, I'm not a big follower of the TCG.

Last edited:

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
The basic concept of catching, battling, training and such are still the same so that part is easy. Obviously each game has its own storyline that has to do with the evil teams and the rare Pokemon so if you're curious, you could read up on those, though it's not too important.

But what's changed is the new Pokemon added, new regions to explore, new type advantages/disadvantages/etc. Those you might want to read up on to make sure you're up to date. As well, there also have been new moves, evolutions, items and more.

I'd recommend playing gen 4 and 5 games but that takes time so reading up on it can be effective as well. But it's really up to you. Though I heard that in gen 6 they're making it easier to EV train your Pokemon so everyone will have to learn that new method too ^^

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Something about Gen 6 when I first seen it really caught my eye and gained my full attention.
I started reading up on it, and determined that I definitely want to get back into the game.
I never thought I'd say that a Pokemon game was my can't miss game of the year, that I'm for sure getting on day 1.
However, I know nothing of Gen 4 and 5, besides what I've seen on YouTube.

As the topic says, I haven't played since Gen 3, and haven't touched the card game in even longer.
I want to get back into the mix, but where do I even begin at?

I've heard alot has changed since the R/S/E days, and the new game looks beautiful.
I'm so excited for it, but also scared that I'll be lost when building a decent team, training my pokemon, or know what I'm doing in general.
The biggest single change since Gen 3 is the physical/special split, which was instituted in Gen 4.

Refresher - attacking moves either run off of the Attack stat and are countered by the Defense stat, or run off of the Special Attack stat and are countered by the Special Defense stat. Up through the third gen, the distinction was by type - Grass, Water, Fire, etc. were special and Fighting, Flying, Rock, etc. were physical. From Gen 4 on, each individual move is either physical or special, regardless of type. So there are special Fighting moves and physical Water moves and so on, so you can better match STAB moves to a particular pokemon's stats. So now you can teach your Gyarados a physical Water move, or teach your Breloom a physical Grass move, or teach your Claydol a special Ground move, or whatever.

Beyond that, most of the mechanics have remained the same. The only other really big change I can think of is in Gen 5 - TMs are now infinitely reusable instead of single-use, so you can teach any TM move to anything that can learn it instead of having to struggle to choose the one that's going to get to learn it (or as I tended to do, saving the TM "just in case" and ending up never using it).

I'd suggest playing at least a selection of the intervening games before Gen 6 comes along, just to get the hang of the changes. Maybe start with Platinum, which is to Gen 4 as Emerald is to Gen 3 (or Crystal is to Gen 2). It combines all the best features of Diamond and Pearl and adds a bunch of additional stuff. The only really notable change at that point was the physical/special split, so everything else should be familiar.

If you enjoyed Gold and Silver, you might try Heart Gold or Soul Silver for the nostalgia. That has the advantage of including the physical/special split (and a few other, less significant but amusing features) in a familiar setting.

Then play either Black or White, and if you only play one of the later games before you play Gen 6, make it one of those two. They were designed specifically to "reboot" the series - they contain all the new features and an all-new pokedex, with no pokemon from previous gens (until the post-game). Playing one of those two is going to throw you head-first into all the changes, but that's exactly what they were designed for anyway, so you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Years
call me a noob, but what's a "Nuzlocke challenge"?? I hear it EVERYWHERE that's Pokémon related!

The Nuzlocke challenge was apparently based on a comic, and the name comes from Nuzleaf and John Locke. It's a type of challenge where players try and add more harder difficulty element into the game.

The main rules of a Nuzlocke, according to players are:
Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released.

The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances. If the first encounter in the area is a Double Battle in dark grass, the player may choose which of the two Pokémon they would like to catch.

While not exactly a definite rule, the general consensus is that players must also nickname all of their Pokémon, for the sake of forming stronger emotional bonds.

Also not a definite rule, but the general consensus is that a black out/white out is considered to be "game over", even if there are Pokémon left in the PC.

Strongly implied, though not explicitly mentioned in the comic, is the stipulation that the player can use only Pokémon they have captured themself, meaning traded Pokémon, mystery gifts, etc., are prohibited. Trading and retrading the same Pokémon (for the purpose of evolving a Golem, for example) is something of a gray area, and may fall under optional rules. As of White: Hard-Mode

Episode 3, it is implied that the player can accept Pokémon that are received freely from NPCs.
Also strongly implied is a prohibition against voluntarily resetting and reloading the game when things go wrong. Being able to do so would render all of the other rules pointless.

There's also a bunch of optional rules also imposed by the players:
Starter Pokémon is based off the player's Trainer ID number. If the last number is 1-3 the player starts with a Grass type, 4-6 is Fire type, 7-9 is Water type, 0 is the player's choice.

Species/Dupes Clause: Adjusting the first encounter rule to ban duplicate captures.

Not officially enforcing the rules until the player has Poké Balls and can catch Pokémon. For example, the Poochyena/Zigzagoon that the player has to save Professor Birch from in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald is not counted as the first encounter on the route, and not counting any other encounters as such until they can catch.

Likewise, in the games where the rival battle is immediately after getting the starter Pokémon, the "any that faint must be released" rule is not enforced at that time.

Use the same amount of Pokémon as the opponent during a Gym battle or rival battle.

Going to options and making the battle style "set", leaving the player unable to switch out.

After the first wild Pokémon was caught, the starter Pokémon must be released.

Banning the use of Potions and healing items, relying only on Pokémon Centers for healing.

Banning the use of Pokémon Centers, relying only on Potions and healing items for healing.

Limiting Pokémon Center visits to a certain number per town.

Banning the use of held items.

Limiting the number of Poké Balls to purchase per Poké Mart.

Banning the use of Master Balls.

Rather than releasing the Pokémon, it can be permanently boxed, migrated, or transferred with Poké Transfer should it happen to faint.

The player may not evolve captured Pokémon, but evolved Pokémon may be caught.

Turning the difficulty on to Challenge Mode if playing Black 2 or White 2, which increases the levels of opposing Trainers.

No catching/using legendary Pokémon.

As a mercy rule, allowing 1-3 "second chances" or revives of fallen team members.

As another mercy rule, if the player runs into a Shiny Pokémon on the incredibly rare chance, the player may still catch it, regardless of whether or not it is the first encounter in the area. It also does not need to be released if it faints.

As another mercy rule, each gym badge acts as a checkpoint. If the player gets a game over, they can start from when they got their previous gym badge.

If the player has no Pokémon that can use a certain field move that is required to continue through any given point of the game, they may catch another Pokémon that can learn said field move.

However, it cannot be used in battle for any reason, and must be released, permanently boxed, or migrated as soon as the player gets another Pokémon that can use said field move.

Modifying the "first encounter only" rule for the Safari Zone, sometimes allowing one encounter for each area, or until they catch one Pokémon in the entire area, and vice versa.

Banning the use of Poké Marts.

Disallow fleeing.

Setting a level limit based on the next Gym Leader's/Champion's highest leveled Pokémon. Any team members that surpass that limit before taking on the Gym Leader or Elite Four must be released.

Also has its own Bulbapedia page.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 15, 2016
Question about Pokemon explorers of Sky

Hi, first I want to say that I am dutch, so my english could be a little bit bad.

I love Pokemon mystery dungeon and I've played Red/Blue rescue team, but I have a question:
Which Pokémon mystery dungeon game is better?
- Sky
- Time

And not darkness, because I don't like the pokémon.

Is in Sky the same storyline as in Time or is it a completely difficult game?
Please answer!

- Jiftyj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back