• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The (Un)official Pokemon GB/C Hacking Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabutcha

Creator of the Alphanigma Saga
Years
If anyone hacks/supports Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal, put your name here. I'm one of the hopefully many people who would rather hack Gameboy/Color than GBA. Unfortunately, there are few good tools, now we've moved past Pokemon 1st & 2nd generation with way more knowledge on hacking roms. My goal is to get a group together to create tools, hack together, and hopefully create hacks as good as Pokemon Brown. However, without hex editing, this may seem hard, right? Thats the point! To bring back the old days where Pokemon GB hacking was popular and tools were still being made. If we can bring our knowledge together, we can revive the glorious 1st & 2nd generations! And if you have ANY ideas for a tool, let us know. I'm always ready to hear good ideas.

Supporters:
Dabutcha
Coolboyman
Darkerm
Chibi Robo
Team Rockets Raichu
Miksy
Bela
SSJ4
ggctuk
ojdon
cooley
Masterge
hohoo
Zeffy
Mr. Magius
Blazichu
Zeffy
Master Terrador
Masterz
Chaos Rush

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I do it ocasianally

But not very greatly or supremely
but i have my moments ;)

Dabutcha

Years
I've heard of someone capable of making a town map editor for R/B/Y. I think it was thethethethe. That tool would be useful. What GB hackers really need is a good map editor like RedMap. Too bad Coolboyman hasnt released it. If I can find out how, I'll try working on one.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
I don't hack these because there aren't very many tools, and I'm too lazy to learn how to hex edit crap. I once wanted to remake Red on Gold!

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
I support this thread!

I've heard of someone capable of making a town map editor for R/B/Y. I think it was thethethethe. That tool would be useful. What GB hackers really need is a good map editor like RedMap. Too bad Coolboyman hasnt released it. If I can find out how, I'll try working on one.

It's not that good really. It just made it easier for me to edit the maps, although you can edit them without an editor. http://www.datacrystal.org/wiki/Pokemon_Red/Blue:ROM_map This is my ROM Map of Pokemon Red.

I don't hack these because there aren't very many tools, and I'm too lazy to learn how to hex edit crap. I once wanted to remake Red on Gold!

Everything wrong with ROM Hacking and more. Change your name to "UsesprogramsChu"

Last edited:

Destiny.

The Absol Master
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
I'm trying to hack Pokemon Gold. Too bad I'm really bad at it >.<
I have almost every tool ever used for the GBC games xD

Years
I realy Like Pokemon Crystal. I wanted to make a Hack of it. But the graphic are not good. And there are few tools for it and hard to do things with those. But I Always love Gbc.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
But the graphic are not good.
I wonder if you tried spriting in a 8 bit color limit using only 4 colors.
The graphics were fairly well made considering the standards that the gbc used. So Please don't whine about gbc graphics <:

And for the lack of tools, Im not sure if you read cbm thread about "Rom Hacking"
If you want to hack gbc so bad why don't you figure out how to use asm or hex. You can not just rely on tools.
Supports GSC hacks

Dabutcha

Years
I realy Like Pokemon Crystal. I wanted to make a Hack of it. But the graphic are not good. And there are few tools for it and hard to do things with those. But I Always love Gbc.

Thats why I'm making this thread. I'm trying to get some people who can make tools to make this easier. I don't know hex, but I am trying to learn it, but its easier to use tools on many things (like map editing). I wish I had Redmap...

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011

Coolboyman hasn't released that tool, because he doesn't want people to get lazy. He made ROM hacking popular with tools he made and hex editors. Every ROM hacker should learn hex editing before you start using tools. I am trying to learn how to hex edit.

You are NOT a HACKER. You are an EDITOR. Deal with it. Learn hex. It's not hard.

I support this thread!

Me, too.
Everything wrong with ROM Hacking and more. Change your name to "UsesprogramsChu"

You win a lot with your posts CBM.

I'm trying to hack Pokemon Gold. Too bad I'm really bad at it >.<
I have almost every tool ever used for the GBC games xD

Learn hex editing then.

So you only hack games with "good" graphics, and games with a lot of tools. Games are not about graphics or tools. It is about storyline and graphics.

And for the lack of tools, Im not sure if you read cbm thread about "Rom Hacking"

Which can be found in the following locations.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=211307
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125815

And he made this to make fun of all the "hackers".
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132094

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
err you know, i don't particularly like the GB/GBC games, because their out dated, the NDS games are still being figured out by people way beyond my "level" so the GBA games are a nice happy medium. I don't really think i'm a tool dependant person, with hex editing all you really need to know is how to search for pointers IMO and know what data means what
[rant]
Spoiler:
[/rant]
To sum it all up: Using tools doesn't mean your a hacker, it just makes you smart, but (big but there) if you aren't able to do it manually and you get cocky that just makes you look like a not-hacker and a big donkey but in my opinion. this was written in less than 3 minutes, don't flame me for saying somethin stupid like "omg u nub you can't even spiel right" or "wtf ppl aren't hackers if they use a-map" k? and that's what i have to say 'bout that. Really, i'm all ears, and i'd like to "hear" what you have to say to that.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
More people should begin hacking GB/GBC games and to do so, read tutorials for doing different things.
Simple things like mapping, editing wild pokemon, trainers, text etc. can be edited very easily if you know what you're doing.

And after you know how hexadecimal system works, read scripting tutorials and I don't think scripting is that hard either (although I can't do it yet)...

Bela

Banned
Years
Not that I'd want to belabor the point, but it's not accurate to say it's about the usage of programs, since you also use them. It's more accurate to say "LazyChu" ;D

But seriously, I am considering creating a Crystal hack some time in the future as a prequel to my current game. I totally support this thread!

From an objective standpoint though, isn't it strange that there seems to be so little in terms of hacked Gameboy games and yet an overwhelming amount of hacks for Gameboy Advance? lol

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years

To sum it all up: Using tools doesn't mean your a hacker, it just makes you smart, but (big but there) if you aren't able to do it manually and you get cocky that just makes you look like a not-hacker and a big donkey but in my opinion. this was written in less than 3 minutes, don't flame me for saying somethin stupid like "omg u nub you can't even spiel right" or "wtf ppl aren't hackers if they use a-map" k? and that's what i have to say 'bout that. Really, i'm all ears, and i'd like to "hear" what you have to say to that.

Exactly the point I was trying to get across, but most people who didn't even bother looking at hex bytes went "OMG ITS A FACT YOU ARE SAYING WE HAVE TO USE A HEX EDITOR FOR EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING AND DO EVERYTHING ALONE FROM STEP ONE. YOU CANT LEARN HEX AND HAVE ROM HACKING AS A HOBBY BECAUSE ITS SO HARD!!! ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE L ON ADVANCED MATH OR STUDIED IT CAN CHANGE A BYTE!"

But seriously, if any of you need help after you put in a sincere effort of trying, I'll be happy to guide you. I never give out flat answers, I always make people think so they can actually learn instead of just flat out following step-by-step instructions while having no idea what they did. So if you're gonna ask me for help, be prepared to LEARN.

THIS. Any of you can start playing around with these and see what you can come up with! Just find any script to replace and you're good to go.

Last edited:

ZodiacDaGreat

Working on a Mobile System
Years
Full Metal said:
What about ASM hacking? usually most people will assemble their code, paste into the ROM and write a XSE/PKSV script (sorry, but Pokescript is a tid bit outdated...), most of the asm hackers are able to script in hex if i was guessing, but why do it if XSE and PKSV are available.
Lol, a bit wrong there my friend :P Not all ASM code needs to be called by a script hehe Anyway, I'd say you to need to know HEX to work well with ASM, HEX and Bitwise logic.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Lol, a bit wrong there my friend :P Not all ASM code needs to be called by a script hehe Anyway, I'd say you to need to know HEX to work well with ASM, HEX and Bitwise logic.

Well, that was from my knowledge, because i have absolutely no clue as to how to hackz the game engine (i'm struggling to get simple asm working...^_^;) but yea, i guess you make a point with the "asm hex and bitwise".
umm...by any chance would you be willing to teach me? ^-^ I've looked at the "Thumb document" in the docs/tuts (forgot who posted it there, but i think it was JPAN) and i tried atleast. WLM: [email protected] if ur interested/willing.
*edit* what exactly do you guys consider "Knowing hex" as? simply converting between hex and dec? bitwise logic (or arithmetic, either way) or pointer adjustment, or perhaps scripting? (i really hope you don't mean decompiling asm...*shudder*)

Last edited:

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
Because everything is so (graphically) limited.
And Coolboyman, no offensive replies please.

No stupid replies like "omg hex is so hard because I only opened a rom for three seconds and saw numbers with LETTERS in them so I had no idea what to do so I gave up and i need programs to do everything" and you got yourself a deal.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
No stupid replies like "omg hex is so hard because I only opened a rom for three seconds and saw numbers with LETTERS in them so I had no idea what to do so I gave up and i need programs to do everything" and you got yourself a deal.
O.o?? where did that quote come from?
But i have to agree...to an extent. You are being just a little harsh, don't get me wrong; I agree with you completely, but there are nicer ways to say it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back