• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen I don't live here, I just work here

What are you in Unova?

• I'm just a tourist.

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Resident - native and loving it!

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • I'm not so sure...

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Zerrah.

Mauling with Ursaring
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 15, 2018
I don't think I could ever call Unova "home". And it's sad really...it's not like I don't want to enjoy the region as much as the others, it's just that there's something about it that keeps you from remembering too much about it. I agree with the movie analogy because at the times when I've seen things happen they seemed nice. However, once the moment ended there was nothing for me to remember. However, there are a few aspects of the game that were incredible. Like the fact that the gym leaders were more involved in the plot of the game. Now, I know that Pokemon hasn't been known for its story, but when I saw all the gym leaders lining up to defend me against the evil forces, I thought to myself, "Wow, the most skilled trainers in all the land actually do come out of their holes and actually help their region in its time of need" Huh.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So this week I chose this lovely thread to be revived! From now until forever you can reply to it but beware people might not reply to earlier posts and so on, enjoy etc :)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Well, SOMEone has to kick this off again...;)

I am currently on a mission to complete the Unova Pokédex. The problem: other than a few select Pokémon I've overlooked (Relic Castle being a prime example, and some fishing in the P2 Lab area west of Nuvema Town; I already went back to the Dreamyard when I found a missing Kanto entry there), everything that remains to be found is not in Unova, or in rare cases (see Growlithe) is found in the second version of Unova. Thus, I recently took on SoulSilver and finished Johto, but have to also eventually handle Kanto and get the three legendaries there (not to mention decide if I want to cheat in the Enigma Stone to make Latias catchable "legitimately"; I caught Latios today for import soon into Unova).

My main reason for going to Unova ATM is for any trading (sometimes me looking for something, others me giving someone something) and for hunting Audinos on Route 11 (a great place to ride back and forth looking for shaking grass exists in the middle of the path). Coincidentally, while leveling and evolving the imported entries, I also slowly give experience to my Unova catches.

Sooner or later, I'll pick my final E4 team from the entire PokéUniverse and train them all to the needed level together with Lucky Eggs to boost, then I'll be all set to properly complete the game! One thing is for sure; provided I succeed, I can literally later import anything I want into a future Gen. VI game (or even now into B2/W2) and maintain a completed Dex for anyone who needs help finding something or for anything to be bred in the future games.

I guess once I meet mission success, I will just want to be that one stop shop for whatever anyone needs. :)

Cyclone

bobandbill

one more time
Years
There's some interesting points raised, and a different way to view it.

I think in some aspects I am a tourist; unlike other places I have found remembering the names of places less...natural? than before (Driftveil for instance, one I have learnt to remember quickly, is mostly just because I love its music so much), and I did find some places less endearing than others as before, such as the post-game areas which were less fun to explore than others given the lack of point beyond 'watch Looker talk at a Sage'.
I think a lot of people disagree that the rest of the map is easy, considering the level jump and such. I would argue that there's a lot to explore still in Unova after you've finished it, but that doesn't necessarily imply a post-game. It really doesn't take that much time to explore something, especially in Pokemon. And once it's explored, there's really no need to explore it again; post-game usually implies more of a longevity than that. But as far as Unova, it has a Battle Subway which is comparable to Sinnoh's arenas, and it has Black City/White Forest, Abyssal Ruins (a game in itself), Dream World, etc.
Old post so I'm no so much replying to but using as a platform to rant a bit. =p The level jump post game for extra areas was certainly difficult, I agree... but it felt off to me as such. It just did not seem right that suddenly everyone has pokes...what, 10-15 levels stronger than the E4s/yours? Including preschooler trainers? @_@ It didn't really seem thought out well and probably contributed to the feeling I had with the other routes post-E4.

And it also felt a bit off in the lack of things to do, which I'd argue don't compare favourable to other games. Abyssal ruins seemed to be more a guide-dang-it thing (unless someone wants to confess to solving it all by themself?) that did not offer much beyond sellable objects or items not typically used if you don't use Arceus. Black city/White forest was hurt by a lack of local wifi access if you didn't have it. Battle subway is great and all, but beyond that... musicals pale in comparision on contests/pokeathlon imo, and dream world is annoying in being 6 days a week, one hour maximum and not even on the DS, so no wonder one may get a natural disconnect to it with the Unova region itself (it's not really part of Unova I suppose either, come to think of it...)

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I move to the newest region every time a new game is made.

(not to mention decide if I want to cheat in the Enigma Stone to make Latias catchable "legitimately"; I caught Latios today for import soon into Unova).

Going to assume you don't have B2/W2 yet, but you might want to get White 2, assuming you are going to buy either of them.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I really did feel like a tourist in Unova.Its exiting the first time you see it but the glamour wears of.Unlike the previous games after you beat N and Ghetsis I really didn't know what to do, although there are places to be explored it didn't feel exiting to me.Whereas in Ruby and Platinum i played more than 200 hours after beating E4 and it didn't feel boring at all.I think B/W is just missing that post-game spark that the other games have.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I really did feel like a tourist in Unova.Its exiting the first time you see it but the glamour wears of.Unlike the previous games after you beat N and Ghetsis I really didn't know what to do, although there are places to be explored it didn't feel exiting to me.Whereas in Ruby and Platinum i played more than 200 hours after beating E4 and it didn't feel boring at all.I think B/W is just missing that post-game spark that the other games have.

When you think about it, it's kinda odd that most of us kept playing R/S/E post-E4, due to there being so very little to do then.
You'd catch Latias/Latios, then you'd catch Rayquaza or Kyogre/Groudon depending on if you had R/S or Emerald, and then you'd probably go and catch the Regi trio if you hadn't done it already.

But then you only had Battle Tower in R/S (Battle Frontier was much better.)
And there weren't that many areas you could use to train your Pokémon.
It's a good thing you could get exp from trainers in the Secret Bases, though. :)

I guess it was still better than in Gen I, where all you could do once you caught Mewtwo was rebattle the E4 over and over.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I don't judge games based on feeling. I judge them by what I can do, the game mechanics. (and the Overall Design.)

Each new Pokemon games adds new features that make me think. "This is it, I can't return to the old games." Diamond had the Psychical/Special Split. Platinum had the battle facilities. Heart Gold had the Walking Pokemon. Black battles moved faster had moving Pokemon sprites (and was better designed). Black 2 has breeding mechanics that make it easier to get strong Pokemon.

Black 2 Post-Games is good. PWT was at times challenging, even with my rooster of over 30 EV/IV bred Pokemon. But the best part of PWT is having a place for challenging ROTATION BATTLES when ever I want! Rotation battles are the best new battle style.

I am Native Unova. Each region I go to, I draw an avatar to represent ME. In Unova, I am a Pokemon ranger that lives in the wilderness helping youg trainers start their journey. Scolipede is my Partner, Zebustrika is my occasional steed.

Ven Bloodia

Unmenschsoldat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 1, 2015
I'm a tourist at best, Unova simply feels too shallow as far as in-game experiences go especially when comparing it to Johto/Kanto in HG/SS if you ask me so I find myself returning to my nest in Johto where I can conduct my experiments in peace without worrying about the metagame in the slightest.

Area wise though Unova's not the worst I've seen but apart from Undella Town and the bay nearby not much really grabs my attention for very long tbh.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
I love Unova. But I'm a tourist, love seeing all the cities their. But I'd say Johto is where it's at.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I feel like a native citizen of Unova. At first I felt like a tourist had to explore the main routes, find out where everything was. After a week and half, I know feel like a proud Unova citizen. I know my way around the routes, just exploring the hidden areas. If I need to raise a Pokemon level, I know where the breeders that can be battled more than once are.

Now I can compare them with my travels in Kanto, & Hoenn. Those two regions seem like travel destinations.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
This is a difficult question...because it's about Unova, and Unova is different in BW than in B2W2!

I'll admit, in BW I felt...well, the region awed me. It was amazing, but I do agree that there was something about how it felt that made it seem like I was maybe not so much a tourist, but rather a serious newcomer who couldn't really move in. Unova was just another lengthy stop in my trip around the world. Don't get me wrong--I loved it! But it didn't feel as homely to me.

But then B2W2 happened, and I don't know why, but in the sequels I definitely felt right at home. Perhaps I was used to Unova at this point, or perhaps it was the new areas or the changes, but B2W2 Unova really felt like "home" to me.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I feel like a resident of Unova but I also feel like a resident of the other regions. All depending on what game I'm playing. If I'm Sapphire, I feel like a resident of Hoenn or if I'm playing HeartGold I feel like a resident of Johto, etc.

weasel king

Cubone Lord and Dragon Master
Years
More and more recently I've been finding myself going back to SoulSilver and the GameBoy Advance games rather than playing Black. And for a while I couldn't really explain it. I just assumed it was for nostalgia value, but I've recently realised that it's actually something else:

I am just a tourist in Unova.

I don't feel like I live there. I'm just here to see the sights. I can hardly remember or know how to pronounce most of the city names ('cept Black City, ha ha ha.). I have to constantly look at the map to see where I'm going and remember where I am. I find myself taking cruises and flying to places just to walk over the bridges rather than battling or exploring. I queue up to get an ice creme and go and ride elevators. I sit there fiddling with my C-Gear and scrolling through my PokéDex, and not actually doing anything.

This isn't because I don't like the game or I've gotten bored of it - far from it: I have a team of 6, all of whom have reached Level 80, still in training and whom I think are fantastic. I've been to every bit of the region, have a Battle Subway record and I've caught a lot of Pokémon. I love the music, adore the scenery, the story, the much improved battle system (still not as good as the GBA's imo but that's a different kettle of fish).

And still - it doesn't feel like I live there. With other games it does. Feels like I've been a resident of those parts and I don't have to look at a map to know where I'm going. And I know that because each time I switch from Black to one of the other games I feel like I'm coming home after an increasingly mediocre holiday. It's like Unova's charm was fantastic in the beginning but after a while it's simply worn off. I can play post-game in Kanto, Johto and Hoenn for years (even Sinnoh at a stretch but not so much), and I have done since I never usually start new games.

Is it possibly a lack of expansion after the game has ended? Kanto had the Sevii Islands, the legendary birds, the caves and the league to play with afterwards. Hoenn had it's massive maps to explore, the Gold/Silver games had more expansions than all of them put together - heck even Sinnoh had the underground and that battle island... place... thing. But Unova... you've explored half of it already when the story ends, and everything else after that just seems... well, easy. And now there's just nothing to do anymore. :(

Or is it because Unova is cold and soulless... in the sense that it was created for the sole purpose to be different from the other games. It's charms are there but that X factor that you can't quite define isn't, and after a while the whole region just feels dead. It looks appealing, but feels impersonal. Kanto, Johto and Hoenn felt, and still feels, like an adventure. Unova just feels like a story that's been told already, like I've been watching a film and it's finished.

Basically every time I go to Unova in Black I feel that I'm just visiting, and when I go to the other games, I'm back at home. It's curious, isn't it?
I feel like I am just trying to get lvl 100s and move them to Black on other games. :)

Years
I'm definitely a resident of Unova, but to be honest I feel like I'm a resident of EVERY region. Although, there are some things about Unova that made me vote yes for being a resident over all the other regions.

1) All the new pokemon. I love using different pokemon each time I play a game, and Unova really gives me this option as there are no annoying fillers. (sorry zubat/geodude) I also love the pokemon spread, it feels like you can start getting good quality pokemon (and more important different species of pokemon) by the 3rd gym. In pinwheel forest there are 7 different families (in the inner part) ready to catch on your first visit, with 5 being new, while viridian forest had 3.

2) The story is stronger. Every other story has just been about you trying to win 8 badges and trying to stop an evil team from taking over the world. Sure this one was about that too, but the tea's motives seemed good at first, and with the complex character of N added in, it made it much more interesting. Along with that, the gym leaders weren't just game bosses. They were actually people, and because of that the games were a lot stronger. Also, your rivals being more than "Let's battle! WHAT?! YOU WON AND I LOST?!?!??!" and having there own struggles, was awesome.

3) The games. They just brought an whole "new adventure" that the franchise maybe didn't feel with Diamond And Pearl. (although I felt it since Diamond was my first game) They reintroduced a vigor into the franchise that was needed. And the graphics were amazing! I loved all the little features added into the game, like the X-transceiver. (okay this last one is a little rushed since I have to go XD)

And those are just the main reasons.

Back