• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

MikeMatt15's Ultimate World Map Hacking guide

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
Hello all! You may have read my previous tutorials about world map hacking. Well, I learned a few more things, and I do believe that this is the most reliable way of making world maps and injecting them into your game.

Please note, this is for FireRed and LeafGreen. I do not supply information on Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald.

The guide download is attached below.

Here are some notes!

Depending on what ROM version you have, you might not be able to find the World Map pointers to re-point, If this is the case, you need to use a different set of pointers. I went through the trouble of finding them out myself.

Click the spoiler for the pointers/offsets. Note before trying to use those pointers, try to use the ones listed in the tutorial for POKEMON FIRE BPRE v1.
Spoiler:

Oh, and if you want to, I would love to see the maps you are making with this tutorial, so if you want, post it in a comment or attachment. Be sure to warn people of stealing...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
Thanks for the template, and the instrucitons are mostly okay, but I followed your video exactly (with my own map of course). Even double checking the sizes as I went. Everything worked fine until NTME, I keep getting:

INFO:

the Tile Map is referring to a Tile No. > amount of tiles in tile set. Do you want to replace this with first tile? (If not then loading will be canceled).

And if I select yes, my map comes out looking like the palette instead of the map itself.

Any ideas as to why this is happening, or a simple fix so I don't ave to redo everything?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
Thanks for the template, and the instrucitons are mostly okay, but I followed your video exactly (with my own map of course). Even double checking the sizes as I went. Everything worked fine until NTME, I keep getting:

INFO:

the Tile Map is referring to a Tile No. > amount of tiles in tile set. Do you want to replace this with first tile? (If not then loading will be canceled).

And if I select yes, my map comes out looking like the palette instead of the map itself.

Any ideas as to why this is happening, or a simple fix so I don't ave to redo everything?

Could you PM me a DL link for the tile set? you're using? Also, if you could explain exactly what you are doing. I will be happy to help.

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
It's okay. I just put it together like a puzzle... it took a good 4 hours, but i got it working. I think was just that my file size in photoshop was off in one of the steps. Your tutorial wasn't to blame. I screwed up. Thanks again for sharing it.

Edit: Actually, for some reason my hex editor can't find any of the pointers. i have o idea why. I double checkd to make sure I had the right rom too. I don't really know why, they just don't come up.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
Edit: Actually, for some reason my hex editor can't find any of the pointers. i have o idea why. I double checkd to make sure I had the right rom too. I don't really know why, they just don't come up.

Well that's quite odd. What (ROM) version are you using?

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
fire red BPRE. I don't think it was already altered in some way before hand, but I don't know. That's the only thing I could think of, but I'm not willing to try a clean ROM at this point, i've already done a lot of stuff in advance editor and yape that I don't want to lose. Oh well, I know it's not your guide though, as I tried another one before and had the same problem.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
fire red BPRE. I don't think it was already altered in some way before hand, but I don't know. That's the only thing I could think of, but I'm not willing to try a clean ROM at this point, i've already done a lot of stuff in advance editor and yape that I don't want to lose. Oh well, I know it's not your guide though, as I tried another one before and had the same problem.

I found the problem. There are two POKEMON FIRE BPRE rom versions. I only listed one of the version pointers, but I took about an hour to find the new pointers for the other version that you apparently have.

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
oh, I replied to your pm before reading this. if you'd be willing to send me them than that'd be a great help. Thanks again.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
oh, I replied to your pm before reading this. if you'd be willing to send me them than that'd be a great help. Thanks again.

I updated the tutorial with the pointers, and it is also at the top. Tell me if it works! I would love to see a picture of your result!

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
This was really a great tutorial. Everything worked to perfection except:

In the bottom right hand corner of my map (in game) there are five blue tiles that aren't supposed to be there. I noticed in your tut that they were on your final product too. Any idea how to fix that? I thought I read something somewhere on the forums about it, but I can't find it...

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
This was really a great tutorial. Everything worked to perfection except:

In the bottom right hand corner of my map (in game) there are five blue tiles that aren't supposed to be there. I noticed in your tut that they were on your final product too. Any idea how to fix that? I thought I read something somewhere on the forums about it, but I can't find it...

From Tutorial said:
[FONT=&quot]Now did you notice that blue bar in the corner of the map? Yeah I have yet to come up with a solution to this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Yeah, I mentioned that in the tutorial too, but I have no idea how to fix this. Also, this happens on hacked title screens...
[/FONT]

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Now did you notice that blue bar in the corner of the map? Yeah I have yet to come up with a solution to this.

Sorry, I didn't notice that. Anyways:

X-Buster said:
open your .raw file in hex editor then add 16 bytes in the end.
the total bytes should be 1216 not 1200.

I found this a little while ago in another world map thread. Apparently, this should fix the problem. I haven't tried it yet because I can't figure out how to insert bytes with my hex editor...

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
Okay, well I updated the tutorial a little bit, and well included more stuff in the files I believe, so hopefully this will be the last update for a while...

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2011
I cant open the .PAL files... Well actually any of the files in the "Including Palettes" Folder

uber_pineapple

Just Smile.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2011
A very nice guide, easy to follow and understand. I do have one question though, where can I get the sphere editor?

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
Years
I followed this to the letter, but everytime I do I end up with this.

Spoiler:

What am I doing wrong? It is shockingly distressing.

-Simmy

Back