• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How long did it take you to notice?

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
I heard about Sky Pillar from a friend at school in 4th grade. And either the summer before or after 5th grade a different friend told me that he found this place called "Dotted Hole" in Emerald version and I did some research and found on that location and learned that that is the way you unlock the regis. I found shoal cave by myself.
EDIT: And the awesome experience that came with finding dotted hole was that my friend knew some braille so we figured it out together one night when he came for a sleepover. Finding all of those places were each super awesome experiences that I wish I could relive.

Frio Stylez

Hates His Username
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2012
Kinda sad...but it took about a year or two before I knew where Old Mauville was.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
This is for Ruby and Sapphire versions only:

How long did it take you to notice the things not really covered in the story like

Sky Pillar
Shoal Cave
Regi's Hideouts.

And stuff like that?

Took me 2 times playing through to find all 3.
Wasn't really mentioned well in game.

And the braille thing was difficult to figure out without the internet.
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.​

I had a Bradygames guide to read prior to buying Sapphire, so I already knew about Sky Pillar and the Regi Hideouts once I started playing. ^_^

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

bctincher15

blue eye + brown eye =awesome
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
The first times I played them, I was really into exploring in the games, so I noticed them in the first playthrough, the braille thing wasn't too hard because I learned a little braille when I was younger, but I didn't learn a lot of it, so I needed a little help. I was excited when I found Snorunt in the back of Shoal Cave, Snorunt was one of my favorites back then, so I caught one and raised to level 100, that same Snorunt is sitting on my White version right now(of course, now it's a Glalie).

Wateria

The cute team Aqua member
Years
I didn't know about Sky pillar until I got pearl because that's when I got my internet the same with the Regi hideouts. I knew about Shoal cave pretty soon after reaching the twin gym leader island as I surfed off to train my team up.

drpoplove

Super Saiyan and Stuff
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2012
I had no clue about much of those areas until a year or two later when my friend freaked out at how bad I was at Pokemon.

Agastya

Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
I think I found Shoal Cave before Mossdeep.

I tripped over Sky Pillar one day just surfing, I was super giddy when the ball clicked down and I actualy caught Rayquaza (and had nothing to use it on)

The Regi caves were also pretty simple, but I printed out a chart for the braille instead of just looking around and finding the slabs that stood for A-Z. I was kind of disappointed with the actual Regis when I was younger, but their battle theme was rad.

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
Years
I knew about them all only because I bought a strategy guide that covered both Ruby and Sapphire when I bought the games. On my first playthrough I just read the strategy guide for everything, so I knew exactly where they were.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I think I found Shoal Cave before Mossdeep.

I tripped over Sky Pillar one day just surfing, I was super giddy when the ball clicked down and I actualy caught Rayquaza (and had nothing to use it on)

The Regi caves were also pretty simple, but I printed out a chart for the braille instead of just looking around and finding the slabs that stood for A-Z. I was kind of disappointed with the actual Regis when I was younger, but their battle theme was rad.

I was dissappointed with the Regi's too ... I was expecting at least a half decent dungeon to explore.

#isthenumbersign
Years
I spent a lot of my time on my first file of Ruby. So I'm pretty sure I explored like everything. It took me awhile to find that route beneath Mt. Pyre though.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Well, I pretty much played through the games with my friends, so we were more people out looking for things, so pretty much discovered all of them on my first playthrough. Shoal Cave and Sky Pillar weren't really hard to find, as they weren't really hidden as well as the Regi's were, and they were easy to discover when you loved exploring the games. Only the Sky Pillar really got me interested though, especially since there was a legendary located there, and I remember everyone at one point wanted me to help them through the tower, because they couldn't control the bike lol.

But the Regi caves were really well hidden. Not enough with that it was in Braille, which I at first had no clue how to decipher untill I checked through my guide, it was also translated to English through the Braille, which I didn't understand anyways, so without anyone to translate, it took me quite a while before I finally got to open up for the cave where you open up for the Regi's, and then came the whole hunt for the specific Pokemon, before i finally got to open the Regi caves. But in the end it was all worth it, and I agree that this is definitely the way legendaries should be hidden. Maybe not with the constant use of Braille, but just some kind of more subtle clues and such to make the puzzles harder and such.

Years
I had never really noticed at the time I was playing since I had purchased the game guide along with the game. So, everything that was missing from the story was compensated with the help of the game guide. Though Regi's Hideouts proved to be difficult to unlock and the braille difficult to decipher so I ended up not doing the quest.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I noticed Shoal Cave as I was playing through the game. I remember I caugth a shiny Zubat in there. As for Sky Pillar, I remember just one day coming across it randomly and getting quite a surprise. Ah yes, back in the day before I had guide books and internet.

Back