• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you're a mod one day...

Crux

Evermore
Years
Guys, Windy did say "Some Day" in the OP, clarifying that the title means 'If you were to', and not 'for a singular day.'...

This place would probably have had to have gone to the dogs for me of all people to become a moderator. And to be honest, I'm back and forth on whether I'd even want it.
As for what kind I would be... being a moderator is in a way a form of leadership, and to lead the people, you walk beside them. In other words, I'd try to be a gentle, but firm mod.

Yes, John, now you understand why we've been on opposing sides of the debate so many times. I too have switched for the sake of the discussion. Having to neglect supporting your opinion? I feel you, bro. Kinda opens up your perspective more though, doesn't it?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
All I remember about my modding is that I found myself in a conversation with Ausaudriel, Morkula, maybe Nick was there too or maybe Went was there although he was only a Super Mod at the time... or maybe they wasn't there, I can't remember now. Wow, it was a life time ago.

I do remember just talking to them about something completely inconsequential when suddenly either [supporter]Hybrid Trainer[/supporter] or Razor Leaf (who was then not yet even a mod) said congratulations in a separate conversation and to look at PC. I refreshed the page and looked in the Who's Online Cloud at the bottom and I was in bold blue. I started laughing, thinking it was a practical joke and went to the group convo to be like "good one guys" then I realised that I was in a modding conversation and had no freaking idea. It was like twenty minutes before I even though to ask what I was modding lol.

But anyway I'm a pretty lax mod. I'm more about fun than I am about order, and I think that's a good way to be in a place that's meant to be where people go in their downtime. I've been doing this for more than two years now so I well and truly know what I'm doing, but sometimes I think some people might disagree with me on that point :P

The way I see myself is as a big brother... but not the big brother that wears a diamond pattern sweater vest and goes to Harvard, more like the big brother that dropped out of community college and teaches life lessons with a guitar and a stash of marijuana.

---

Sorry if it's annoying too but I really love colouring people's names now that it's so easy haha

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I don't think lenience really has a place in the matter; it is the problem of new members alone if they didn't read the rules before posting. They might forget something, and that's what the 'yellow card' warnings are for. Even if we didn't have those, twenty infraction points is a lot to accumilate so I don't see the need to be hesitant. Anyway, I'd mainly like to help people with their questions and concerns, as the staff to do for me now; and if I can, be engaged in how this place is run. As for image... no-nonsense, I guess? That's the image I've garnered already, though I doubt it's something the higher staff are after as someone's primary trait. I'm no good at the whole 'promotion of discussion' thing either. I'd ideally go straight to S-mod, but they don't do that here.

Last edited:
Years
If I were to be modded I really wouldn't go into it with a set plan of "I'm going to do this". I'd just do what I felt was necessary. That thread needs to be moved or close, sure thing. That person has earned an emblem, okay cool I'll do that. That person needs to be banished to the depths of hell, I can do that too.

I guess if I were to be modded I wouldn't want to be looked like the nasty boss man or anything. I'd want to be just another community member, albeit one with a job to do.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
If I became a moderator…

I think it would be important to cut out all the bull**** that tends to pop up in the forum. Also, just because something doesn't explicitly fit a criteria in the rules doesn't mean that it can't be implemented on the spot if it's a good idea. It's also important to actively and personally involve yourself in discussions while avoiding and quelling conflict; playing devil's advocate doesn't always work out.

It would be vital that I have a solid structure laid out in my forum. Things have to be where they're supposed to be; important threads are stickied, etc etc. I would try to avoid closing threads at all costs; if something can be moved to another forum, do it. Furthermore, I'd prefer to refrain from handing out warnings and infractions unless there is an actual warrant for such action. Why? The staff since I've been here have bestowed that kindness upon me, gifting me with a shiny clean record. With that, why do something you don't have to when a simple verbal warning would usually suffice?

Outlier

I'd be a terrible mod by PC's standards. First off I don't know what "borderline trolling" implies. In my book you're either trolling or you're not. You can troll more than others sure, but I don't believe in "borderline trolling" so I wouldn't infract people for that. I wouldn't be so anal about certain things, especially if they are newer members. It's important to enforce the rules but I find people who take their positions of power on the internet too seriously to be really off-putting. And if I DID infract someone my reasoning wouldn't be "you know what you did.", that's just weak and lazy in my opinion. I'd actually do my job and explain what the problem was instead of being rude and accusing people of things.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
If I were to become a mod one day, I would be posting in my section, making stickies, locking threads and all and I would most probably be more active with staff matters x3

I would also be those laid-back mods who are there but still keep the place in tip-top shape while being relaxed and all.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
If I become a mod someday, I'll focus more on my section meanwhile browsing in the other sections that I'm interested in as well. I'll give emblems, locking and moving threads, helping members, but on top of it, I'd involve as regular members, but with responsibility to hold on, and I'd become one of the laid-backs which are having great time as well.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
If i become a mod i will try to make the Forum a better place. By doing some good work. And by giving a helping hand to The Community. I will warn the members friendly. I will not be strict with them. I will try to help the newbie or any other member if they had a confusion or something. I generally want to become a GEN 3 mod. I will give all the great and all my Knowledge to them. To help them out in any way. A great example of being very friendly mod is Sheep. I will try to be like her. She post great and be friendly with everyone. I hope someday i show up as a mod and a great mod. But I don't even can think to be a admin. Cause i can't handle the work of Admin i prefer to be a GEN 3 forum mod. But i am not a mod yet ! I am very excited ti give a helping hand to community. I would also like to Post new rules if i become a mod for a day. Also i will try to make the forum a little better. I will lock threads. And do the other stuff with kind. And i will still too active as i am now. (I mean i will try to be active, I prefer gen 3 though to be a mod) I will not be strict. As i am a friendly person :P Hope i can give this community a very very good helping hand either i become a Mod or not.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
what I did -> I wanted to talk about PokéAni but PokéAni was a bit dead so I was diligent about making episode discussion and review threads and encouraging threads to be more conversational and analytical and less post-and-go. And I made Watch-Along Club a weekly discussion thing and did livestreams and made a new shipping thread and blogged about it all so people would go participate. If you make the threads, people will post. So I did that. Also I rewrote the entire episode index from scratch which means most of Unova. All indexed. UGH don't ever let updating things get away from you.

mod story -> I was voicing a concern to Leafy and he told me I should tell Went and I was like "um really? it's not that big a deal" but then he dragged me into a convo with Went anyway and then I was a mod and very confused and speechless.

what I did next -> I rewrote the rules to be more clear and helpful. Stickied some things, condensed some things, put indexes in a few places, linked all relevant threads together. And continued what I had been doing.

what I do now -> Read every single thing that is posted in my section (no, not exaggerating). Reroute conversations when they're getting off-topic. Close/merge/move threads. Keep things organized. Post at least twice a week (usually more but I have two things a week I have to post in). Make at least one topic per week.

I don't like closing threads and curbing potential discussion but some threads just don't need to be threads or are too out of hand to salvage (happens when people argue while I'm asleep). I don't like infracting people- I tend to verbally warn a few times before issuing anything official. I prefer people to see me as someone who's just around to chat about Pokémon, but I wish more people would respect what I tell them. I don't give out emblems much because I forget they're a thing but I really like them. I like organizing things most though. Everything in PokéAni is neat and tidy and all the topics stay on-track and everything has a place. ♥

Years
I think our rules and general practices on locking threads should be much, much more liberal, but being a mod wouldn't give me much ability to do that, only to enforce existing consensus. So I don't really care. I'm also not interested in having power over others.

TY

I would be active though, but i would be very relaxed in terms of giving infractions for stuff they do. Spam threads will be locked though, but i wouldnt mind someone making a mistake with a thread if they are new to PC.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I would act the same, but would also look out to make sure all members were abiding by the rules in my part of the forum. Since I post in other parts of the forum, I would report inappropriate posts that I saw, but I would strictly stick to my part. I think the funnest part for me would be planning events because I have a fun time doing that. Also, I think giving out emblems would be fun too. Of course I would be a bit more lenient on new members, because they are new and will more than likely not know all of the PC rules.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
Years
Well, I have been a Moderator,Administrator & Game Master for a couple forums and games before. So this isn't a what if question for me really...

I always treat everyone with fairness no matter what. I will not say that I have not been easier on some people than others but it wasn't due to them being friends or family it depending on the severeness of the situation. How did I get my positions? Well for the game "World of Warcraft"(Private Server) I played the game every day about 10-15 hours a day, I constantly posted on forums and helped others out in-game and on forums. I not only was active and helpful but one of the best players on the server. With all of this I got noticed within a couple weeks of being on the server and got promoted to a forums moderator, within a week I was a Game Master and withing another month I was Head Game Master & finally after another 2 months became a Administrator, I retired a week after receiving my final promotions due to a better job opportunity on another server that was better worth my time and service.

As far as Pokemon Forums I have been apart of another Pokemon forums for a while as well in which I was a administrator. I at one time had my own Vbulletin Pokemon Forums I created and set up. I was good with Vbulletin but wasn't so good with advertisements and gathering members. So someone offered who had also just started a pokemon forums but wasn't so good with what I was to combine our forums into one. After a lot of thought I took the offer. I am still currently a Administrator there but I am a lot less active there compared to here.

It would be my dream to one day be apart of the PokeCommunity Staff but at the same time I believe you must earn everything. You shouldn't ask! One day I may be recruited but until that day I will be here as a Supporter xD

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
If I were a mod...
Banned_%20permabanned.gif

Back