• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

How did you make the jump from in-game to competitive?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Refer to the title! What made you want to switch from just playing in-game to the competitive side of battling? How did you do this, did you study the movesets and such that Smogon had beforehand, or just tried out whatever came to mind through a series of trial and error, or maybe something else, like used full teams from Smogon and went from there? Share your thoughts and so on.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
That's kinda hard question :D
I guess it was because I was bored of the difficulty of the games and I wanted to try something new.
So I started with Shoddy Battle and then Pokémon Online :D

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
I wanted to switch when i kept losing to my friends all the time, so i looked up if there was any way to make pokemon stronger, and then i learned about IV's and EV's, i'd already known about natures. So i got my first flawless pokemon, yet i still found myself losing. So i came to PC to learn more, i got tutored by PlatinumDude and i learned how to make solid teams with good EV Spreads and Items, i haven't lost since. The change wasn't THAT hard but i gotta admit, it was VERY confusing at first -.- These days, even though i know a lot of good movesets off by heart, i still go to Smogon just to see if they're any new ones or if i forgot something.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
In D/P, after glimpsing at my tag partner's Pokemon's stats in the Battle Tower's Multi Battle, I noticed that their stats were a bit higher than mine, so after a few more rounds there, I realized that they had been EV'ed. So I studied how to EV train and read Smogon's articles for the best sets for each Pokemon. I also discovered Shoddy Battle and Pokemon Online and eventually learned about team synergy and I've been competitive battling since.

Years
I started a week ago actually :laugh: I was on youtube and saw the Flaming Spade doing a video on Pokemon Showdown and i started there ^_^

Years
after i finally found out what ivs and evs were. I decided to educate myself more. checked out smogon. and then i started competitive battling. starting making teams and stuff.

Years
I started competing because of my dad. Oddly enough, one day he came up to me and asked if I would like to play pokemon with him. I thought this was odd because he would normally tease me for liking it. We had a battle and i one. He explained to me how so much strategy is involved in the game, and i like strategy. After that i decided to start competing.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I started competing because of my dad. Oddly enough, one day he came up to me and asked if I would like to play pokemon with him. I thought this was odd because he would normally tease me for liking it. We had a battle and i one. He explained to me how so much strategy is involved in the game, and i like strategy. After that i decided to start competing.

Hey that's kinda awesome! My Dad was better at battling than me but only because he raised Pokemon to higher levels, I didn't even consider the idea of competitive back then. XD;

Alsoooooo time for me to answer the question! For me it was because of my boyfriend p much, I kinda did it because I wanted more in common with him and uh... I just continued battling after he left for the two years (um, we're still together BUT I DON'T FEEL THIS REALLY IS RELEVANT lmao) and yeah :3 I found that I enjoyed it for myself too, rather than just for him. And also uhhh I remember at first I was that bad that I EV trained Litwick in Attack because I thought sPA = Super Effective, and Attack = ...everything else. ;x I even EV trained in the first place because I wanted to prove "omg I'M SO SMART" when rly I wasn't. :(

Years
I stumbled across PO while looking for ways to play roms in browser online (for some reason), I guess I must have typed in Pokemon Online, and taught myself.

Back