• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Has the Fourth Generation had its time? Have you moved on?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
With ourselves now in the Fifth Generation, have you moved on from the Fourth? Have you passed Sinnoh, Johto and Kanto? Are they just too old to be interesting anymore? Will you still continue to play the games? In the near furutre do you think you'll ever pick up a Fourth Generation game again? Or would you more likely to pick up a 1st or 2nd Generation?

Discuss! \o/

Years
I have totally moved on now, ever since discovering my favoritism towards 5th Generation.

Although I am doing a new run on Platinum, I spend most of my time playing Black version. I guess I've found D/P/Pt and HG/SS too old to enjoy anymore cos I go through that transition when a new generation gets released.

So yeah, I come to the conclusion that I have completely moved on and I am not going back to an older game anytime soon.

TY

I moved partially over, cause my badass team from HG/SS is not completely on my Black and White games... but when that has been done... i moved over, i love the Unova region on all parts.

I might get back to my FireRed game, because i love playing old GBA games and that is the only one i have left xD

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Sinnoh will never become boring for me. Certainly my favourite main-game region so far.

Although, saying that, GenV has much more interesting gameplay and a far better story, so I'd say that Black and White are ultimately superior games to those in GenIV. It's fairly balanced though, as it is with most of the other Pokemon Generations. While I'll be focusing more on the recent Pokemon games, I am chipping away at a Steel-type monorun on Platinum.

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
Am I the only who find the 5th generation the borest? The only thing I'd miss from BW when I play 4th generation games would be the battles, and probably the new Pokémon and graphics. Black and White have a very short story. I think they're by far the fastest games I've ever completed. Some examples: gym leaders are way too easy, HMs are not required to go through the game (excluding Cut which is required in Dreamyard) or Pokémon are no longer affected by poison when they're not in battle. It looks like they've made the game easier (and even more casual) plus the story is the same as usual.

I think 4th generation will never bore me because, on the one hand, I have a new whole story (DPPt), which is not boring to me, and on the other hand, I have some super remakes to play (yeah, HGSS).

And this doesn't mean I don't like BW at all. I just find them boring because you can beat the game within a few hours. So if I had to replay a game from the 4th or BW, (I haven't tried B2W2 yet) it would be a 4th generation game (and it is actually what I am doing XD).

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Why are the top three threads in this section, as of posting, so negative? =p
Am I the only who find the 5th generation the borest?
Nope, but that's because which games are the 'best' is a subjective thing. Some like other gens more, etc. (That said it is arguably easier given objective changes such as the removal of poison effects outside battle, higher frequency of people healing your Pokemon mid-route, a gift Lucky Egg and changed exp system favouring those who don't grind that much, etc).

I will say BW adds more things in some aspects, but in the end 4th gen offered more to do post game, and it's the staying factor that makes those more enjoyable to me. BW may have more effort put in the story, but it's also not without flaws. It has better graphics and all, but that's hardly surprising (and frankly Game Freak were obviously proud of it, coughbridgesofcameraanglescough) and I like Pokemon for its gameplay more than the graphics. BW felt too linear for my liking, and I prefer the openend-ness of say Kanto in HGSS and even part of Johto. Others prefer the other way around, and that's cool.

Certainly am considering playing HGSS again in the near future (and previously have been doing monotype challenges), as well as B2W2 when it comes out. Sometime I'd do more chaining in Platinum as well. I like both gens, so in the end I'll keep on playing both.

FlutterRaeg

The Cult of Personality
Years
I got Black from eBay a week ago and I still haven't played it other than choosing a starter. I'm currently working on beating HG alongside my friend. He's had better luck with the NPC battles, and me in the battles against each other. That is, until Kanto where I am utterly destroying anything that moves.

Polizard'12

Pokemon Trader
Years
I've made it my goal to own all of the 4th Gen games, which I have achieved, I do plan on playing them, but at the moment I'm busy with studies, the only ones I have played is SoulSilver and Pearl, Its going to take a while to finish the others!
I also have White (Finished Black) so I'll go through the Unova region once more. I just need a second DS so I may trade Pokemon easily...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I've moved on from Gen IV, but I can't help but go back and replay Platinum and HG when I stop being lazy to do that.

Years
For me anyways, I want to try to get that Shining Charm in BW2, so I'll be revisiting not just the 4th Gen, but even the third to try to complete the Pokedex. But I do love Sinnoh and Johto, the DS games were by far my favorite. They'll never get old<3

rayan.b

i like cinnamon :)
Years
I've made it my goal to own all of the 4th Gen games, which I have achieved, I do plan on playing them, but at the moment I'm busy with studies, the only ones I have played is SoulSilver and Pearl, Its going to take a while to finish the others!
I also have White (Finished Black) so I'll go through the Unova region once more. I just need a second DS so I may trade Pokemon easily...

start platinum as soon as possible it was the best for me :)

i like cinnamon :)

Sinnoh will never become boring for me. Certainly my favourite main-game region so far.

Although, saying that, GenV has much more interesting gameplay and a far better story, so I'd say that Black and White are ultimately superior games to those in GenIV. It's fairly balanced though, as it is with most of the other Pokemon Generations. While I'll be focusing more on the recent Pokemon games, I am chipping away at a Steel-type monorun on Platinum.

grate minds think alike ;P

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
I moved partially. Gen V wasn't much of a favourite for me, so here I am, feasting on the older generation's scraps. I've had a lot more memories with this Generation than the others anyway.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
Soulsilver is still my best game, lots of events, some shinies... I think it has something to do with walking with Pokemon that makes it my favorite. I like Black and White, but not as much as HG/SS.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
i just got pokemon black but its just not the same there was no excitement getting the starters. i'm going to play black more often now since trading is easier but i'll keep the fourth gens around for experiments (tweaking and pokesav at the beginning of the game)

Years
Gen IV was by farm my favourite generation. It has the best region and pokemon. I'm not going to be done with the fourth generation for a long time.

Years
  • Age 31
  • IL
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
I'm not going to lie, without HGSS, Gen IV would have been lackluster for me. Don't get me wrong, DPPt where great games and I've owned all three copies and have played them throughly, but it never really appealed to me as much as Gen 1 - 3 & 5.

Apricots

Cream Puff
Years
I haven't really been that big on the new generations in general; the games didn't catch and hold my interest as strongly as the ones before it. I still enjoyed them a lot, though, so I don't think I really "moved on". I definitely like Generation IV a lot more than V.

Heck, I clocked 400 hours in Diamond...

Years
I have found myself trying to move on from Gen IV, and while I don't have any plans of picking up my Platinum for a while, it's my HeartGold that I play more often than White. I'm not sure if it was just some of the little things like having your Pokemon follow you around, the Battle Frontier or even the Pokeathlon that make me go back to it, but unless B2/W2 absolutely blow me away next month, I don't think I'll have moved on from the 4th gen.

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
Years
I play my HG/SS a lot more than I play my White, so I'm still in 4th Gen. I can only EV train on my HG, that's one of the reasons why I don't play White that much. I plan on EVing a team and trading it all to White so I can have a competitive team on there. Plus, I seem to like HG/SS over B/W any day...it just seems more laid back and quiet, plus the lead Pokemon gets to follow you, I really like that as well.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I'm in limbo, I still play some games in Gen IV but I'm still playing Gen V a little bit, too.

Honestly I won't fully transition to Gen V until they finally come out with a main 3DS game. I'm getting tired of playing my DS games on my 3DS with either crappy resolution full screen or adjusted resolution on like 1/3 the screen. It's bull.-

Back