• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Farewell, Team Rocket.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Okay, so, seeing as Team Rocket's role has diminished almost completely in B/W (until the Plasma arc or whatever), do you think it's possible they won't be appearing in the X/Y anime? I mean, they don't really have much to them anymore. That being said--if they do leave the show do you think it will be the same without them? Or do you think it would be better without them?

Let's discuss.

In my opinion, I can't see them leaving the show because they're considered main characters or main antagonists what have you. Also, if Team Rocket leaves... who's going to fill the big void of the stealing Pikachu gag? Not the new evil team--that won't be the same. If Team Rocket leaves...yeah, I'll just put it this way: it won't be the same. Although it wouldn't be worse (face it), I can't see them going... they'll continue to keep coming back to steal Ash's Pikachu. Unless that "farewell" thing at the end of Best Wishes is true... then I don't know.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Naah, I don't think they'd go. The writers have been getting better about using them, making them a threat but also interesting. Perhaps they'll be used sparingly in Kalos, but I don't think they'll go. My wish for them is to become proper operatives, doing assigned missions and things for Team Rocket where they happen to be near or run into Satoshi-tachi occasionally. I'd like them to almost be secondary protagonists, like they were in a recent episode. I'd like them to have their own story. And also I want them to lay off trying to capture Pikachu- I mean seriously just why at this point. They should be assigned to keep tabs on Satoshi-tachi just because they run into a ridiculous amount of legendaries. I'm sure Sakaki would be happy about that haha.

But yeah I don't think they'll leave. I just want them to gain more personality again and the writers to realize they have three characters and a whole evil team that still have a lot of potential.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
as of late, in the most recent 10 episodes or so they have tried to get pikachu like normal so i dont see where your coming from here, they only werent in a few episodes in BW.

Guest123_x1

Considering that Team Rocket appearances have been a part of the show from close to the very beginning, I can still see them continuing their schemes in the upcoming X/Y run.

Years
  • Age 35
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 20, 2015
I got kind of scared reading the title of this thread. I was gonna cry "NO NOT 3 OF MY FAV CHARACTERS IN THE SERIES!!!". But in all seriousness, I really don't see them ever getting rid of the Team Rocket trio, because like stated before, they have been a part of the series since the very beginning and getting rid of them now would be silly. I do hope the writers continue to bring their old personalities back though they just seem so bland at the moment, though I do see some of their old traits slowly reappearing.

Years
It is just that the franchise wanted to show them from a different approach when they first entered Unova but after some time they started being reverting towards their old selves.. Nah I don't agree with the thought that they might not be inside X & Y. Well the Gap would be too great and the anime will loose it's spark...

Years
They should not be replaced. I liked that they made them seem so badass when they first entered in Unova. Now they want to steal Pikachu again. They need to get over it lol :) I love them tho haha

Years
I had always thought that Team Rocket was going downhill since the Sinnoh anime (I forget the season numbers), but they were really funny in the first through third seasons, IMO.

When it came to the B/W anime, I was kinda surprised to see that Team Rocket had no longer blasted off, but I literally stopped watching the anime halfway through Season 15, and that was when TR's appearances were becoming very limited.

A3R0D4C7YL

Dark Type Master
Years
  • WA
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
They have been there since the start so they probably wouldn't get rid of them. They just haven't appeared AS much because there are other villains and TR needS planning time, too. How they will carry out their mission to utterly fail or help Ash accidentally. Seeing them in every single episode would get quite boring wouldn't it? So, they've dialed down their appearances. They, for sure, aren't leaving. For. Sure.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I really, really want Team Rocket to show up in the anime. They're pretty much main characters by this point. Anyway, we still don't know anything about the evil team in Kalos, so maybe they'll have a different role. Well, besides stealing Pikachu, I think that will never change.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I think they should and will stay. Perhaps they can feud with Team Plasma for a change. Giovanni needs to be in the anime again, seeing him take control of Meloetta and the Kami trio had me at the edge of my seat. I hope to see more of the old characters in the coming weeks to months too, like Brock, Butch and Cassidy or even Misty.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I don't see them leaving. Before Giovanni left, he said something in the lines of "having a bigger plan." I think, been a few months since I last saw that episode.

I do hope Giovanni tells Jessie and James to give up on Pikachu. There really is no reason for it anymore. Really it lost its meaning during Kanto/Johto. I think Giovanni will start making a bigger appearance now. In something called Pokemon Live! it stated that he dated Ash's Mom. I don't know what episode of it is was though. (However, this may not be related to the anime.)

I find it odd that he finally battled Ash in Unova, only for them to make him not appear anymore or how he use to appear. I see him playing a major part in Kalos.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I kinda liked what they did with Team Rocket in Best Wishes. I've always heard people in forums complain about Team Rocket in the anime not being as serious as their in-game counterparts, or that the running gags involving Team Rocket becoming stale. I feel as though this was there way of acknowledging the (former) fans' opinions, and we got to see how the series would be like if they were series.

And I did not like it. I liked them back when they were goofy, and later in the series, they were restored to their former goofiness. But I liked that they showed us what-it-could-be-like.

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
Personally, I enjoyed the more serious team rocket, if only because the scene-chewing cancerous abominations of the "comedic" team rocket were gone. Their jokes were rarely good, and I thought their shtick was repetitive and predictable even as a kid. But I'm willing to forgive all of that if they just didn't eat up so much screen time! Every time Team Rocket makes an appearance the plot comes to a grinding halt for 10-15 minutes to deal with them.

</rant> I apologize to all the old-school team rocket fans I might have offended. They just never appealed to me that much. I know since Pokemon is a kids show they have to put the lame comedy somewhere, but combining the villains and comic relief just seems like a bad idea.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
I love the comedic team rocket, they never fail to make me laugh. The serious incarnation was OK, but got kind of flat after awhile(would've been interesting to see what they were like in that unaired two part episode though)

Without TR I don't know how else they're going to fill the void in X/Y

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
Team Rocket was annoying in the earlier seasons, but I would still miss them if they were left out entirely. They repeated the same dialogue over and over again, tried the same schemes multiple times, and interrupted the main story with their shenanigans, but they will still be missed.

Infinite Latios

Champion
Years
If Team Rocket isn't in the X and Y saga of the anime, I will quit watching. They've been a staple of the series from the very beginning. They've gotten more character development than any of the main characters. To be honest, the anime's been going downhill ever since Dawn and Brock left. If TR leaves too, just like Misty, May, Dawn, and Brock... It just won't be the same.

ErikaInRainbowCity

Everyday I'm Tumblin'
Years
Ok, I'm not one of those people who looks through a Nostalgia Filter and is all, "OMG [insert previous characters here] were they best how could they go???" Because I understand the importance of bringing in new characters and companions with Ash, and even if I do miss some of them dearly from time to time.. I enjoy the other companions as well :) But I swear to god they cannot get rid of Team Rocket (or Rocket-dan, whichever you prefer.. i prefer the latter myself). If they do.. just no, I'm out. They have and will continue to be the best part of the show for me and I'm sure for many others as well. They have so much potential. However I don't think the anime will get rid of them either. I mean they have already lost SOOO much of the fanbase by now that getting rid of the Rocket-dan would just send them in the gutter xD

I think the Rocket-dan should be focusing on other things aside from capturing Pikachu as well.. I wonder if there is a good way to make them competent and serious like in BW but not losing their comedic charm :3 That would be perfect! <3 I hope the writers do that for them, as much as I want them to succeed they wouldn't be the same if they weren't their lovable, goofy selves <3

Go Rocket-dan!! Hwaiting~!

....Yeeah, this is the wrong forum for that, sorry everyone D: *cough* Hopefully everyone will ignore me and not know what I'm talking about lol xD

Back