• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokecheck.org and its Effect on Trading

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
But Pokecheck let people with no experience get their hacks to their game with ease. That's all I'm saying. Not that there wasn't hacking, but that it made it easier for people to do it, especially with how prominent the whole site has become in the Pokemon Community in general.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
It used to be that people who had no experience in hacking just used an AR (bad hacks). The "better" hacks were made by people who already had the resources to distribute pkm files. Pokécheck does give hackers without resources the means to distribute, but Pokécheck's role isn't as damaging as pokegts is.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
Also, your arguments, Necrum, miss the most important things:

1. Pokecheck was made as a site for checking legality and sharing legit Pokemon. Hacks are minority. Pokecheck adds the ribbon to protect Pokemon from being redistributed on GTS, so it allows you to use it on your own, except official tourneys where judges know that ribbon indicates hacking. So basically, for your collection/dex filler/breeding parent or utility Pokemon (specific nature Synchronizer or specific gender and gender ratio Cute Charmer for RNG) those Pokemon are viable. Also, you can use them in WiFi battles, whether Random or via FC system because battle videos of those Pokemon aren't blocked when you're trying to upload them. It's just useless when you want to trade it and/or want to use it at official events.

2. The biggest thing that you're trying to skip is that Pokecheck does not provide any hacking tools on the site or for download.

3. I don't know the policy on not removing hacks from Pokecheck, but the user is fully acknowledged, because legality analysis of any public Pokemon is showed within its details. Also, before Genesect, Meloetta and Keldeo were released when you were trying to get a clone of obviously hacked copies of them, the site warned you that you'll get temporarily banned from Dream World for having those Pokemon's Dex entries.

Everything has its flaws and dark sides, but that's when your brain comes in to use given tools wisely.

I re-read my post (#11) I made more than one year ago about Pokecheck and I must say nothing changed, really, lol.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
In my opinion, I think Pokecheck does take away a lot of trading, especially for us breeders. Instead of trading with others to get the parents we need we go to Pokecheck and download the parents we need. Although I generally try to avoid Pokecheck and find the parents I need from traders here on PC, it's still too easy to just go to Pokecheck and download the Pokemon instantly. But Pokecheck is also a very good resource for those of us who have no other way of checking a Pokemon's legitimacy and can be used for cloning Pokemon with the OT you have registered for those who don't have any other means of doing so. So I guess Pokecheck is both bad and good for trading, it just depends on how you look at it.

Reactions: EB

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Gonzo, I don't know why you're fighting me, I'm not trying to make any sort of case against Pokecheck, just commenting on the effects it has on people's ability to hack. I'm not arguing or trying to make some point. Sure, yes it adds a ribbon, but if someone sends a hack to their game with Pokecheck, and then trades it, the other person won't see that til they receive it, so really that only helps on GTS. What I specifically meant, was that if a PKM file is hacked using your OT info, you can use Pokecheck to send that hack without a Ribbon even, as long as the OT is registered. I love Pokecheck, but there is still people who exploit it for their own gain. It has both positive, and negative effects as I said in my first post here.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
I'm not fighting you, whatsoever. I just found your post being pretty false and misleading so I wanted to clear things up.

and then trades it, the other person won't see that til they receive it
During the final selection of Pokemon, you can view its summary and its Ribbons.

What I specifically meant, was that if a PKM file is hacked using your OT info, you can use Pokecheck to send that hack without a Ribbon even, as long as the OT is registered.
You can protect your Pokemon (so in this case, a hack with your OT, ID and SID) from being uploaded as public if you've registered your file, so I don't think it's even a tiny problem. The only person who'd be able to use the hack would be hacker himself.

Pretty much everyone said it has good and bad sides, but -- no offense -- you're exaggerating the cons of it.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I didn't mean a hacker hacking your OT, I meant if you were a hacker, and you hacked a mon to have your OT, you can use Pokecheck to import that hack without a ribbon. This is all I've been trying to get at really.

Maybe I did exaggerate a bit on some of the other points, but I think there are still some real problems with Pokecheck. Either way, I do believe the Pros outweigh the Cons.

Last edited:

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 3, 2017
I think Pokecheck, like any other outside influence on the game, will always represent a struggle for power between hackers and those trying to make sure they weren't victims of those hackers. Ultimately, it's a resource that allows people to create fakes and make them look legal. Working hard to breed perfect pokemon also flies out the window when you can just create the parents you need.

I guess I'm just a purist when it comes to all of this. The game was never meant to be played with the use of pokecheck, AR, or RNG. I think anything outside of the game cart itself is a detriment to the way the game is meant to be played. I've been playing pokemon for almost 15 years and will always prefer trading for the pokemon I need. Pokecheck takes the first pokemon movie and makes it a horrifying reality.

In closing, I wish Nintendo was more adamant about preventing these outside influences. Of course with 6th Gen on the horizon we may see a round turn on that.

~cleaskulty~

It's contagious
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2015
The legality checks as well as the ability to check EVs, IVs, and your SID without the use of Action Replay is great.

I don't agree with the constant download of .pkm files, however. Using Pokemon that have already been trained with perfect movesets, IV's, EV's, and natures really takes the fun and challenge out of Pokemon. But then again, people who do that aren't really affecting me personally, so it's none of my business. :P

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Nintendo can't prevent stuff like ARs from editing and messing around with their games. There was this article I read on Wikipedia (don't use Wiki as a source for your papers, kids) about how Nintendo sued the makers of hacking devices in order to prevent those makers from making profit off Nintendo games. Nintendo lost and had to pay this massive fee to the hacking device makers and since then, stuff like this has been running around rampant. Mind, this is only stuff like GameSharks and Action Replays. I don't think Nintendo has a case at all when it comes to something like Pokecheck unless Pokecheck makes profit off it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I think Pokecheck, like any other outside influence on the game, will always represent a struggle for power between hackers and those trying to make sure they weren't victims of those hackers. Ultimately, it's a resource that allows people to create fakes and make them look legal. Working hard to breed perfect pokemon also flies out the window when you can just create the parents you need.

I guess I'm just a purist when it comes to all of this. The game was never meant to be played with the use of pokecheck, AR, or RNG. I think anything outside of the game cart itself is a detriment to the way the game is meant to be played.
Just wanted to point out something here. RNG = Random Number Generator and this is what generates the nature, IVs, ability, etc. of every Pokemon you'll ever encounter. RNG Abuse is manipulating the RNG to receive the exact Pokemon you want. RNG occurs within the game itself without any use of external devices.
The legality checks as well as the ability to check EVs, IVs, and your SID without the use of Action Replay is great.

I don't agree with the constant download of .pkm files, however. Using Pokemon that have already been trained with perfect movesets, IV's, EV's, and natures really takes the fun and challenge out of Pokemon. But then again, people who do that aren't really affecting me personally, so it's none of my business. :P
Yes, being able to check for all that is very handy especially when you're into competitive battling. I also don't agree with the download of .pkm files because then you can download it and use another fake GTS server to get the Pokemon without the ribbon. Although, this is also handy when it's your own Pokemon and you have no other way of getting the Pokemon onto your game cause something happened to your save file :(

Reactions: EB

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 3, 2017
Just wanted to point out something here. RNG = Random Number Generator and this is what generates the nature, IVs, ability, etc. of every Pokemon you'll ever encounter. RNG Abuse is manipulating the RNG to receive the exact Pokemon you want. RNG occurs within the game itself without any use of external devices.

Technically there are no external "devices", but there is software used to tell you what frame to look for and such. Without that external assistance, you would have no way of knowing what frame would produce the desired effect. Yes, the algorithm is found in the game, but RNG is essentially backdooring that algorithm and thus playing the game in a way not intended by Nintendo. This cheapens the experience and reward of collecting shiny pokemon for example by making the act of collecting them far easier than intended.

EDIT: @Mac: My apologies. I was simply defending my honor

Last edited by a moderator:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Guys, let's not argue the legality of RNG in this topic. This topic is about Pokecheck.org and how it's affected trading -- not is RNG cheating or not. If you want to start that topic, go ahead.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 30, 2019
Hello I got a pokemon with a small pink head close to his name, and I'm seeing it from the back when I do "resume". What does it mean ?

King Zelos

Blame Your Fate
Years
What is Pokecheck? Some of you said it lets you download Pokemon...? How does that even work?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
What is Pokecheck? Some of you said it lets you download Pokemon...? How does that even work?

Pokecheck.org allows you to download/upload Pokemon from the website when you change the DNS settings in your console's wifi settings to Pokecheck.org's DNS settings. Once you connect to the GTS in-game, you're actually connecting to the website.

It's caused me to hold off on some trades because Pokecheck.org is easily accessible. In the grand scheme of things, I would rather trade with my friends and collect their Pokemon rather than download freebies and breed them; I didn't buy the Pokemon games to go play single-player.

King Zelos

Blame Your Fate
Years
Pokecheck.org allows you to download/upload Pokemon from the website when you change the DNS settings in your console's wifi settings to Pokecheck.org's DNS settings. Once you connect to the GTS in-game, you're actually connecting to the website.

It's caused me to hold off on some trades because Pokecheck.org is easily accessible. In the grand scheme of things, I would rather trade with my friends and collect their Pokemon rather than download freebies and breed them; I didn't buy the Pokemon games to go play single-player.

Hmmmm. Sounds rather dangerous, no? I'd imagine you could easily catch some type of bug/virus that can corrupt your save data or crash your game. You're right, it kinda does defeat the purpose of the game. Which was mainly built around trading with friends or meeting new people to trade with. Has this site been approved by Nintendo? Or does it not matter since it's not breaking any license agreements?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Pokecheck.org is safe to use and there is no viruses associated with it. While it does affect trade negatively there is some good to it. One being you only need one DS to transfer from Gen 4 to Gen 5. Not everyone can afford two DSes so this helps them be able to offer more to trade to others. Also, being able to hack check Pokemon with it is nice and is easily accessible by anyone. Yes there is negative things about Pokecheck but there is good too about it.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Hmmmm. Sounds rather dangerous, no? I'd imagine you could easily catch some type of bug/virus that can corrupt your save data or crash your game. You're right, it kinda does defeat the purpose of the game. Which was mainly built around trading with friends or meeting new people to trade with. Has this site been approved by Nintendo? Or does it not matter since it's not breaking any license agreements?

tl;dr but I hope this makes sense.

Not really, DS games aren't able to experience that kind of problem. I can't exactly explain why as I'm not a tech whiz, but DS games can't receive viruses like computers and phones can. While you can download glitchy looking Pokemon, they can't necessarily corrupt your save file. In addition, you download glitchy Pokemon by your own choice as the site has something called a Legality Analysis which outlines things like the trash bytes contained in the name of the Pokemon and the OT and also other hidden variables that can be used to identify its legality.

But in short, no, you cannot get a virus of any sort, but yes, you can download glitch Pokemon which I assume can turn into Bad Eggs in your save.

Also while it does defeat the whole original purpose Satoshi Tajiri intended Pokemon for, there are positive uses. As EV has mentioned, you can use it to transfer Pokemon from Gen IV to Gen V with only one DS which is a good thing for people who do not own a second one. Another benefit being hack checking, as I've mentioned, Pokecheck can identify hidden variables that point out its legality.

Other benefits being able to check your Pokemon's exact IVs, a way to catalog your Pokemon, keep back ups in case you misplace your game. Dunno if I can name anymore than that at the moment.

And it hasn't been approved by Nintendo for various reasons. One probably being that there are some people who do indeed use it for cheating and thus spoiling the point of the game. But I'd imagine it does follow fair use in some way as it doesn't affect sales of the game from what I know and it the owners and creators don't use it for making money either.

Back