• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What inspired you to make a Pokémon ROM Hack?

Years
For me personally, I would have to say ever since I was a kid I enjoyed seeing the Pokemon anime and the fact of feeling as if I was on an adventure. Seeing different things, experiencing a life of untold stories and becoming a master. I would also say playing hacks that people have made. The one that really inspired me was Pokemon Identity. It was something fresh and new, not to mention the story revolving more on the character. Made me want to create a story more exciting and interesting.

So, what inspired YOU to the dedication of a Pokemon ROM hack creation?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I think it was just that when I discovered hacks, some of them were just amazing, and of course I really wanted to make my own world full of my ideas too. It really interested me because you have full control over everything. You can do whatever you want.

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
The way to add more beauty to the game.
I saw many hacks, and one of DestinedJagold's hack were the best.
It makes me want to add more life to the game and explore further.
Because of Jagold and his hack, I made a decision to make my own.
And I've seen how can the hack successfully made when it's finished
It's so beautiful and exciting to play. Depends on the story and graphics.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Ever since I started Rom Hacking, Pokemon has been one of those games that I have wanted to make a romhack on. In mid-July, what has inspired me to make a Pokemon hack is Pokemon Snakewood itself, as well as a certain creepypasta and hearing some music from different games (which I hope to insert into the game using Sappy).

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
Well, I actually had made the idea when I was much younger, but thought there was no way to do it. And now there is!

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
I don't know I found bootleg pokemon games online, like Chaos Black, I search it up and it was fan make, it was terriable but. Making a pokemon game seemed pretty cool and I wanted to look into it. :3 Now I just have to make one..

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
I was playing LeafGreen for the billionth time, when it occurred to me that I wanted a whole new story, one that I could create. When I tried to make the hack, since I was extremely inexperienced, I didn't get very far and gave up. One year later, I had a dream that I was playing my own FireRed hack. That's when I started it up again.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
I would have to say Shiny Gold. After seeing how awesome a romhack could be I decided to give it a try myself. I didn't go out and start making my own on the get go, I paired up with another couple of n00bs at the time, Druyii, Vrai, FrosslassManiac, and 1 or 2 other people, and we tried our best to make a ROMhack. Obviously, as most ROMhacks go, we never even got the hack into alpha. We had so many cool ideas too. I eventually came up with idea after idea and eventually got one or 2 that I stuck with and still to this day I want to finish. I've come back to give DS hacking a try so I can eventually get my very own hack out there and eventually completed.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
Well I wanted to make my own Pokémon game so I ended up browsing the internet and found Mewthree9000's Chaos Black. I later found Serg!o's Naranja and that's what made me eventually find PC, PHO, and Linkandzelda, been working behind-the-scenes for years now.

Years
Well I played Ruby alot like more than 60 times then it came to me You know the feeling where you get bored and want another game play so I started researching on how to edit the game but just found on how to hack then Eventually I found Pokemon Ruby Destiny:Reign of Legends by DestinedJagold then found this site then I started ROM hacking. :D

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
Well I played Ruby alot like more than 60 times then it came to me You know the feeling where you get bored and want another game play so I started researching on how to edit the game but just found on how to hack then Eventually I found Pokemon Ruby Destiny:Reign of Legends by DestinedJagold then found this site then I started ROM hacking. :D

I used to be the same. Incidentally, I found shiny gold by searching pokémon gold shiny gameshark code, and found a video of a youtube using the walk-through-walls code trying to find what zel didn't release. I thought, "Gee Whiz, this looks way better than gold!", and I dropped my search for the elusive shiny pokémon code and played it until I beat it. Then the rest is history. (See above)

Espeonage

Ninja Espeon
Years
I've just started for the sole reason that I am getting sick of both the repetitive nature of it all and the aiming it at children. I want nitty gritty stuff. So I'm aiming to bring a bit of that in. Still early days but I've got plans and it's going well so far.

Casha674

opZEtiROma
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 19, 2016
could someone make a POkemon BW hack ? i mean convert the Pokemon BW into gba :( the scripts, the rivals, the characters, and buildings.. i mean everything -,-

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
I just want better Pokemon, but I might expand... thinking on it... I have other projects, so I don't know if I'll be 100% invested in hacking Pokemon, but I took this on as an enlightenment journey from my previous N64 hacking experiences.

I figure I could improve if I learn some basic concepts from Pokemon games, and have fun with it too.

Documentation helps, but I have noticed a lot of missing documentation, which is not what I expected... but, I am not surprised (from previous experiences).

Years
I always wanted to make games but never really tried to search how to until I discovered Pokémon Rom hacking, Pokémon Roms have a lot of limitations tough... But still, I can make my own game the way I like it and feel it, so yeah! :3
But, damn it, it is too much time consuming.... -.-' I guess, that's what wise people call patience... >.>

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 15, 2013
U dont Have limits i think,its u can make "pokémon" how u Want it ,
and can show everyone ur Creativity

raltvus

PoCker
Years
i was in the internet, then i see something that make me fall in love: Skeetendo.
1st i give a look for some days, then i decided to create an account, after one month, lookin' in the pokemon Sterling Silver Cry of Celebi, i decided to create my own hack.

Back