• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Asphar Version

Of which feature would you like to see a short video?

• A Storyline Event

Votes: 44 40.0%
  • The Revamped Intro

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • The Battle System

Votes: 38 34.5%
  • Training

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • The Laptop

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • The Menu

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Pokemon World

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Move Selection

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • Something Else (please state)

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 9, 2010
I like your ideas, especially the fatigue system. Good luck on your game!

Years
I've been using RPG Maker for years, and I know RPG Maker 2003 quite well...
I know this isn't an easy project to realise. You're really good! Keep up the good work.

Years
The battle background is great. Don't change it- change the platform the enemy is standing on (why did you go with only black anyways).
Been havin a bit of trouble here. Tried drawin my own and it looked crap, so i tried using the ones from FR/LG but it didn't look very good against the background. I'll probably end up changing the background too, or just getting rid of the platform :\

Attach the enemy name part back into the window in the top right. The few pixels in between aren't doing the overall look any favours.
Will do.

I like (borderline love) your idea on how attacks are dealt with. Nice choice allowing the players to have all of the attacks- it's something pure pokemon game fans will hate, but I like due to the fact your trying something different.
Thanks.

The icons for the battle commands are way to small. Like way to small. I can't even tell that they are. I play my Rm2k3 games in the default 320 by 240 window size (the size of the screenshots) and not the double size (which is the default testing size). Design you buttons and menus with that small size in mind and not the doubled up test window. If I had a guess, those icons for the commands wouldn't even be 20 by 20 pixels.
I play them in that size too, and test them in all the sizes. I also thought they were a bit small, which is why I made it tell you what button your highlighting at the bottom (Attack, Pokemon, Bag, Run). I liked the little icons too much to get rid of them. :P

I'm instantly impressed by this game, especially the way almost everything is original and so different. I think the battle system is really interesting and the way you're going against the tide is brilliant.
Thanks. :)

Can I just suggest something (i know this isn't important now, as you're at the coding stage) but when you come to mapping and stuff, you should look into alternative tilesets- to complete the new feel of the game- rather than sticking to R/S/E ones.
Will definately do. The maps I'm using at the moment are from an old game, and I'm just using them for testing.

As a fellow Rm2k3 developer, I feel I must add.....

You trying to get me worked up or what? lol.
It's still programming, it just aint scripting. How do you think the bloody game runs? It's a programming language that Rm2k3 understands under the hood.
You still have to understand basic programming such as variables and branches if you wish to code anything good with Rm2k3.
Couldn't agree more. There's something exciting about pushing the boundaries of a program until you get something truly incredible. One of the reasons why I'd never use a starter kit either (if there was one for rm2k3).

Replies in bold ^

And thanks a lot to everyone else for their comments too.

Years
Update

It's been a few days, and to be honest, I haven't really done much work on the game. Been busy making another game for my mum for her birthday.

But I have progressed more in the battle system, and I'm getting closer to finishing it now. I haven't done the battle animations, and I'm not going to for now as finishing the coding is a higher priority.

I've made a couple changes to the graphics as suggested - changed the battle platform (and the background with it), and got rid of the gap where the name was.

Custom sprites and animations also now included. Thought I'd include a screenshot of this...

Battle-Gif.gif

More updates soon...

Mclenz

Master Mclenz
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2015
Dude your battle system looks amazing, i wish you good luck!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 9, 2010
Is the pidgey going to be moving all the time during the battle? I just ask because then maybe you should let the kakuna move too (just a bit up and down or something like that...

I like the pidgey, it's cute ^^

(off topic: A game for your mother's birthday! That's so nice! What kind of game is it?)

Again: Good luck with the game!:)

Darkraza

The shadow of the Skies
Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2010
this looks great, and your ideas are great as well.
One of the main things of this game that is great is the fact of all the gameplay changes, many fan games here have a diferent storiline but same gameplay, they have nice graphics but same gameplay. In both these cases i look at images of the game, but im never really interested in playing it. ( i would say this and protectors are the most "revolutionary" here )
BTW, are you doing this with FR/LG graphics? i yes i have some ramdom recolors and edits you could use...

Franlandia

I use the translator of google
Years
I am going to give you my opinion of your RPG, the graphics of fr/lg do not shine well in a Rpg If you change the graphics your game I liked it enough more.
bye

Years
Very, very nice 00Vampire!
I hope this agme gets completed :D
I'll try my best :)

Dude your battle system looks amazing, i wish you good luck!

Is the pidgey going to be moving all the time during the battle? I just ask because then maybe you should let the kakuna move too (just a bit up and down or something like that...
I'm trying that out now :)

I like the pidgey, it's cute ^^
I think so too

(off topic: A game for your mother's birthday! That's so nice! What kind of game is it?)
It was a Deal or No Deal game that involved me voiceover-ing lots of wacky characters and doing different accents, really fun to do. :P

Again: Good luck with the game!:)
Cheers :)

this looks great, and your ideas are great as well.
One of the main things of this game that is great is the fact of all the gameplay changes, many fan games here have a diferent storiline but same gameplay, they have nice graphics but same gameplay. In both these cases i look at images of the game, but im never really interested in playing it. ( i would say this and protectors are the most "revolutionary" here )
I take that as a massive complement, thank you. :classic:

BTW, are you doing this with FR/LG graphics? i yes i have some ramdom recolors and edits you could use...
I am going to give you my opinion of your RPG, the graphics of fr/lg do not shine well in a Rpg If you change the graphics your game I liked it enough more.
bye

Chances are I probably won't be using FR/LG graphics, the map I've used in the screenshots is just a test map from an old game. Don't know what sort of tiles I'll be using at the moment, as I haven't got around to mapping anything just yet. Thanks for the offer though Darkraza :)

Thought I'd include two more bits of eye-candy:

Battle-Gif-2.gif

Battle-Gif-3.gif

As you can see from the second shot, some battle animations will be a bit more literal.

More soon...

Years
Thanks for the comments. :)

Within the battle system, the coding for the menus, moves learned, and pokemon switching are all done.

The only parts left to do are the Items, and the actual damage algorithms. Not yet sure whether I'll be keeping the original games' formulae, or making my own.

Will post some more screenshots later today, as I'm going on holiday tomorrow for a week and won't have a chance to do so til I come back, (though I am taking my laptop so I'll still work on the game a bit).

Update

Screenshots I promised earlier....

PokeSwitch1.png

PokeSwitch2.png

PokeSwitch3.png

PokeSwitch4.png

May even post some more a bit later if I have time.

[I thought thread creators were allowed to double-post if it related to updates on the game?]

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I would of posted but I was on holidays when you posted that update and I only saw it now because the thread was bumped to be honest.
I really like the look of it. Very like my own Pokémon menu.
Again, because your a fellow Rm2k3 developer, if you ever want some tips, PM me.

mitchell114

Owner of Pokemon Yango version
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 12, 2016
This looks really awesome keep on the good work.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
That Squirtle animation looks pretty cool, and I like that you're making some of them more literal. It's also interesting that you're using face shots for the party instead of those little party sprites, and the menu looks great. Keep at it, dude.

Years
First, to respond to some comments... :D

I really like the look of it. Very like my own Pokémon menu.

Well Pokemon Protectors has always been my most favourite game on here, and it did really inspire me to create my own Pokemon game. It's not surprising to me that some things in my game are similar to yours because of that, but I do try my best not to copy anything from any of the games here (whenever possible).

Again, because your a fellow Rm2k3 developer, if you ever want some tips, PM me.

Thanks. Will keep that in mind. :)

This looks really awesome keep on the good work.

Thanks. :)

That Squirtle animation looks pretty cool, and I like that you're making some of them more literal. It's also interesting that you're using face shots for the party instead of those little party sprites, and the menu looks great. Keep at it, dude.

Thank you. :)

Moving on, I have a question to ask. Now, as you can already tell, I'm trying to make this game a bit more anime-ish, especially in the removal of Levels. But what about the stats?

Originally I was just going to use numbers, as per the usual Pokemon game. But I'm not sure anymore. In the anime, you wouldn't be able to put a number on how good your Charizard is at defending, would you? So maybe I should not include numbers?

But then, would it be too difficult to compare your pokemon to each other? Would it be too much hassle to make them have a training battle against each other? Me thinks so.
When I removed Levels, I added a Danger Bar in battle, so that even though you can't put a label on how strong your opponent is, you could still roughly tell how strong it is compared to your active Pokemon.

So going back to Stats, maybe I should take away numbers, but add something else. A graph? Diagram? Comparison Thingys? A colour-coded bar per stat that get's fuller and stronger in colour the stronger you get in that stat?

Any Ideas?

Back