• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Sorry if this has been asked somewhere back on page 367 of 924, but I didn't feel like searching back that far. ;)

In the Block Editor in AdvanceMap, which I'm toying with for the first time trying to fix some tile issues in a hack, I'm trying to figure out which flag makes a character (or Hero) hide behind the tile when standing in the spot that tile is on. I already know "??? [00]" hides the player behind a tile. However, there are tiles that use transparency to reveal a tile underneath.

In my example, the area behind the Gym is accessible, but it also has snow on it. The way this tile has been set up by the designer is that the building tile is the base tile and the snow is the second tile. You can walk onto the Gym tiles (as in walking behind the Gym) to hide behind them and they work for hiding behind the snow. However, now I need to hide behind the building tile itself. Can I do this?

Assuming I can, that will take care of one tile. I then have one more complication as pictured below:

pokmonlightplatinum4646.png

In this case, the Hero should be seen behind the upper-left segment, but not the rest. Because of the extreme corner being in the right segment (the part hidden behind), it causes him to hide behind the extreme corner, but the transparency in the snow tiles causes him to appear in the pink areas:

pokmonlightplatinum4742.png

I'm thinking I might have to remove the snow from these tiles. Thought I'd ask for help first. :)

Cyclone

Yeah, the only way you could be be underneath both the roof and patch of snow would be for both of them to share the same palette - That way you could combine the two into a tile through paint. Unless you can do that it would be best to remove the patch of snow entirely.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Yeah, the only way you could be be underneath both the roof and patch of snow would be for both of them to share the same palette - That way you could combine the two into a tile through paint. Unless you can do that it would be best to remove the patch of snow entirely.
Good enough, I'll make that modification to those two tiles then. You can't walk behind the trees to reach the other spots, so ample snow can still be used. I thought about using rocks on the top half of the base tile, but decided it's not worth blocking the space (and would still look wrong).

Thanks. :)

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2016
By using Advanced Trainer to create your own trainers, is there a way to change to BGM during the battle (e.g make the battle use the gym leader theme)? Also, is there a way to enable infinite rematches with the trainers you create? Thirdly, on Advanced Trainer can you choose the Pokemon's Ability or is it random(In vids there seems to be no way to choose ability)
Oh, and do ROMs download to all user accounts on the PC, because I use a shared PC so I was hoping that it only downloads to my user account.
Finally, can flashcart GBA games link via cable in the normal method with genuine GBA carts?
Again, thanks :)
Soz 4 all the questions but i've never hacked in my life.

Last edited:

Herpahermaderp

I liek Mudkipz
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 3, 2017
By using Advanced Trainer to create your own trainers, is there a way to change to BGM during the battle (e.g make the battle use the gym leader theme)? Also, is there a way to enable infinite rematches with the trainers you create? Thirdly, on Advanced Trainer can you choose the Pokemon's Ability or is it random(In vids there seems to be no way to choose ability)
Oh, and do ROMs download to all user accounts on the PC, because I use a shared PC so I was hoping that it only downloads to my user account.
Finally, can flashcart GBA games link via cable in the normal method with genuine GBA carts?
Again, thanks :)
Soz 4 all the questions but i've never hacked in my life.

Yes, but you don't use A-Trainer, you have to use a script to make it gym leader themed. There is a way to make infinite battles, but I can't share them here, no, you can't choose a trainer's Pokemon's ability, no, ROMs you download are on your user account only, and it depends on the flash cart your using, most of them do work with link cables linked to genuine GBA games.

wwmb

Watcher
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2016
Hello! So.... I don't know if it is just that I haven't looked enough or what, but I can't find enough info to get this done: I'm trying to edit the world map in Pokemon Emerald (Later I'll be working on RS too... but that's beside the point.) I've found the three tilsets (245, 328, 330) and tilemaps (246, 390, 331) in unLZ. I've decompressed them all to .raw and .png files (256 for tilesets and 16 for maps.) (for backups, comparison, experimentation etc.)

I also made my own map in GIMP, using the exact same colors as the tileset in the game (taken with VBA); then I used Sphere to remove duplicate tiles in the tileset. I PrtScreen-nd that back into gimp indexing it with the same colors too (.png, both a 0compression and a 9-or-something/max compression version.) Made the .raw tilemap in NTME (8bpp). I noticed in VBA that the world map is square (512x512) and that NTME's Emerald World Map setting isn't, so I made three different sizes (in tiles): a 32x32, a 64x32, and a 64x64 sized map.

Going back to the tileset, I opened up TileMolester-Alt 8bpp linear, imported the bg.pal I got from VBA when looking at the world map, Pasted in my tiles (same dimensions as the tileset I got from #328) and saved it as .raw.

unLZ doesn't want to overwrite the tileset even though the .raw is using the same colors (if I open it back up in TileMoleset-alt it goes to 2bpp planar, and after turning it back its colors are different until I reload the pallet) it's the same size (I even opened it up with a hexeditor and deleted all of the unused tiles at the end... so now my tileset .raw is 2to3 8x8 tiles smaller in filesize).
unLZ won't even compress and put the original tilesets back into the rom, claiming they are too big when compressed too.

So any help would be awesome in finding a way to replace the files. (I don't want to use any free space when I'm not using ANY more data than the game is, AFAIK.)

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2016
@ Yogi1881-Maybe. The reason eggs use only one sprite is because of all the pointless memory it would take programming individual frames for hatching each one.

@ HerpaHermaDerp-Thanks. What script would I need to change music? Ppl on youtube say the default BGM is determined on trainer class- Say if I put a trainer with the trainer class Magma Leader, that badass theme from R/S would be default because its coded? Not to be a douche but why can't you share the infinite battles method? Is it like valuable advanced knowledge? Or.....Maybe say the e4 have idk a script or something that allows infinite battles with them? Finally, u have any vague ideas about the flashcarts that CAN link with genuine carts? Again, cheers; sorry for all the questions...

Herpahermaderp

I liek Mudkipz
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 3, 2017
Is it possible to use multiple different egg sprites.
Like customizing pokemon eggs?

Yes, this would be possible, but you would have to learn ASM and create a routine for it.

@ Yogi1881-Maybe. The reason eggs use only one sprite is because of all the pointless memory it would take programming individual frames for hatching each one.

@ HerpaHermaDerp-Thanks. What script would I need to change music? Ppl on youtube say the default BGM is determined on trainer class- Say if I put a trainer with the trainer class Magma Leader, that badass theme from R/S would be default because its coded? Not to be a douche but why can't you share the infinite battles method? Is it like valuable advanced knowledge? Or.....Maybe say the e4 have idk a script or something that allows infinite battles with them? Finally, u have any vague ideas about the flashcarts that CAN link with genuine carts? Again, cheers; sorry for all the questions...

No, I chose not to share the infinite loop battle script here because this is the Simple Questions thread, not the Script Help thread :P And so far I've noticed that it would be best if you went with an EZFlash cartridge if you want to connect, seeing as those are by far the most praised and compatible GBA cartridge.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Another Question!
How do i insert Sprites from Black and White found on Bulbapedia into my Fire Red Hack?
It's possible, I've seen, but i can't figure out.
Resize them to 64x64 and then index them. (There are some tutorials for it in the Tutorials section by the way.) And then by using UnlZ GBA, you can insert them.
I believe there are BW sprites already downloadable somewhere, though... so you can use those if you don't feel like indexing.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hi, i was wondering do Fire Red and Ruby share the same tile colour pallets?

Nope, the 0 palette has different colours in Ruby than what it does in FireRed. Even though the tile colours may look similar, it doesn't have the same tile colour palettes. It may have some identical on some palettes like 0 in Ruby shares some from FireRed's 3 (at least I think it is, if I can remember correctly) palette.

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
I'm experiencing a problem with a person script I've created. Instead of being a normal person script where I talk to it and it gives my my message, it acts as if it is a cuttable tree. The settings in Advance Map are below.
hwho5v.jpg

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I'm experiencing a problem with a person script I've created. Instead of being a normal person script where I talk to it and it gives my my message, it acts as if it is a cuttable tree. The settings in Advance Map are below.
hwho5v.jpg

Is it sharing its Person Event Number with an actual cuttable tree on that map? If it is then that would explain why its mimicking the script - All you have to do is change the number.

Pokedorkus

Zen Darumaka
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 31, 2013
hellp me someone i am begining to hack i did around 2% of my hacking (2 hours worth) and when i change the # of trainers like add trainers in A-Trainer(to change trainers pokemon stuff etc) or change their pokemon it completley messes up my game. It leaves the pokemons names as blanks or wierd codes so when i play it say a D/hyP or a appered! WTF is it my rom should, i get a new one? or should i use PET instead of A-Trainer to edite trainers but i need to be abble to add new trainers and create them. this has happened twice with me on pokemon EMERALD and i tryed Saphire and the same thing happens it does not mess it up right away but after i save and comeback and change stuff and reload then it puts up weird codes. any advice would be greatley appreciated..

Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
Are there any rom hacks of GB or GBA games where all the TMs and/or move tutors are buyable/reusable/fully accessible/etc? I tried looking in the Features sections of many rom hack showcase threads, but I can't find anything similar in nature.
I just have a hard trying using items that have a one time use and that aren't obtainable again.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2016
You know that you have to have MIDI files to add your own themes to FireRed? I got some awesome MIDIs off VGMUSIC of stuff like Cipher Admin Colosseum...Would they be easy to put into the game (like not having to edit them or use Sappy or anything. I read some relevant threads but I've never hacked b4 so i didnt get any of it :(
My second question:
Anyone know of Gen III save editors (Pokesave type stuff)? Ive heard of Pokemon Encyclopedia but thats apparently in Spanish...
Finally, how much memory does a ROM and VBA take up?
My family PC has 133 GB left if that helps. Thanks ppl

Circaoffire

Clueless Scripter :/
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2016
I want to make a brand new tileset for my hack. Well, I want to know how I can make it look like it is nighttime for everything. I am using Fire Red (U). If I use the Day/Night hack, can I set it to 100% night? If I did that, would I have to worry about making tiles look like night? Also, do I have to use specific colors for the new tile set? (If there is a tutorial I just haven't found that can answer this, please direct me there.)

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions (which may be confusing, or not)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back