• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Beta Place

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Ehh... well, I suppose multiple stories are fine - but don't expect all of them by any means to be taken up then - others put up before you should probably end up getting priority before you get a second story taken up at the same time. That's up to the Beta Readers though.

Be sure your 2nd and 3rd stories aren't too extreme for this board as well, btw - might want to check the rules if fics around the R-rating are allowed. =/

Pikalover10

I'M BACK!
Years
CLIENTS:

Title of Story: PokeSpecial: Johto Journeys
Fandom: Original Trainer Fanfic.
Plot summary: A story about a young boy named Gold with the ambition to be just like his father. He goes on a journey with a Cyndaquil, just like his father and soon begins to realize something is happening in Johto and it is up to him, Crystal, and Silver. These three go on different journeys, but often run in to eachother.
Genre: Journey, with a hint of Romance and Mystery.
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG: 13
Type of mentor needed: Grammatical most likely...
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Other: I've been writing outside of PC for about 2 to 2 in ahalf years...while writing in PC I have grown in writing quit alot and I am now thinking aout becoming a professional writer when I grow up:D I think my strengths in writing is description, and I am pretty sure my weakness is grammatical errors...

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Title of Story: Metal Coat

Fandom: Pokemon, not really falling into any particular category.

Plot summary (I fail at these):
When a Meowth and Raichu find a rather odd Magnemite washed up on a beach, they take him in; and he stays with them for quite a while. Around six months later, the evolved Persian drags along the other two (Raichu and Magneton now) to find Jirachi's Key, a wish-granting item. They (well, the Raichu and Persian)thought they saw it and found something much different - the Galaxy Key, which transports them all to a different dimension. This was a rather unfortunate turn of events for our Magneton pal, who suddenly looks much more familiar...

Genre: Adventure, I suppose. xD

Rating (PG, R, etc): Pretty much everyone.

Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive, or beta-reader if there's nobody open in that position.

Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Other: Metal Coat was my first story. My strong point is probably plots and characters - my weakness is making plot points string together in an orderly fashion.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Unfortunately, Astinus and I will have to decline, Tigrerra, although as I mentioned in the PM you asked for, not by much - take your time and try again keeping in mind the stuff raised there.

Mira

restless spirit
Years
BETA READERS:

Category: grammar, proof-reading

Genre Specialty: I specialize in fantasy, though I will pretty much work on anything.

Preferred Method of Contact: PM

Examples of writing:
A prologue. Could potentially have screwed up spacing, so I apologize.
Spoiler:

This is an excerpt from the first chapter of one of my stories. This is slightly older, however, so there may be a few typos.
Spoiler:

Examples of reviews/beta-reports:
Are these allowed to be from other websites?

Third review down by LydiaB:
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic43545.html

Seventh review down by LydiaB
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic42028.html

Strengths/weaknesses: I sometimes have trouble drilling into the core of the story to critique (especially when it's the first part), though that typically gets better as I am more exposed to the story line. I also tend to be random, which can be either good or bad ;)

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Mira, you're approved, and added to the first post. You can start taking on people. =)

Also decided to add links to everyone's profiles in the first post as well. And just under the character limit too, apparently.

Years
Title of Story: Pokemon Amber: The Untold Memoir
Fandom: Pokemon
Plot summary: A prequel fic centering around the never seen, never named, only mentioned once in the anime father of Ash Ketchum set about 10 - 12 years before the anime starts. Anthony "Tony" Ketchum, an 18 year old trainer gets disowned after an argument and heads towards the Kanto region to take the journey that he had only planned on doing before. Along the way he gains a traveling companion as well as two other pokemon other than his his first one that he had aquired eight years prior.
Genre: OT, Romance (due to the technicalities that the OT and companion falling in love/getting married by the end of the story).
Rating (PG, R, etc): On the general whole I attempt to do PG or milder.
Type of mentor needed: Plot, Comprehensive
Writing sample of story: The chapters I have posted up are located at http://pkmn.sailorchristmas.com/stories.php
Other: I've been writing/working on this particular fanfic for a few years, though I have had off and on fanfic writing for a number of years prior in the Sailor Moon fanfic department (though that's a whole different can of worms that I've yet to finish writing on). My greatest weaknesses writing wise would be plotlines (individually per chapter) and general overall follow through... More often than not I find myself not being able to follow through with a story idea once I find that I don't have someone to bounce ideas arround and/or get opinions or thoughts from.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added you, Abenti. Also a reminder to people who have found beta Readers to tell me if that's the case, please...

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Are the beta readers here only for pokemon fanfics?
No - they can beta read stories from fandoms other than Pokemon, or also original writings (not based on any fandoms). Note of course that you'd be saying if your story if your story is a Pokemon one or not anyway in the form for clients (in the 1st post), and if it based on another fandom chances are not every beta reader here would be experianced with it.

So just mention it in the form, so that one can tell, and it'd be fine. =)

Last edited:

dream's-epilogue

Worthless
Years
I've rewritten the first chapter in standard format in the fiction section! Rewrite of 2 coming soon!
Title of Story: Dark Reflections: Kain's Saga
Plot summary: New Silver Isle is the intellectual's Eden; it is on this obscure isle that the greatest technology that shapes the world is born. The most brilliant minds in existence work here in secrecy, molding the world for the betterment of humanity. Yet this center of enlightenment has its darker side, as well; a young and hardworking scientist by the name of Dr. Kain R. Moriko falls asleep at work one stormy night, and awakens to a peculiar sight: he has somehow been transformed into a pokemon! Kain rushes to discover how and why he was transformed while trying to adjust to his new form. In the end, he and his new friends end up at odds with his former employer, but when a bloody incident from the company's past resurfaces, Kain is forced to question his own existence. Just who is he, and what exactly happened all those years ago...?
Genre: Adventure, mystery, sci-fi
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG13
Type of mentor needed: Concept & Flow
Writing sample of story: (See attachment)
Other: Well, this is my first time actually sharing my stories, so I need some help, just to make sure it's up to snuff. I don't want to post a story that no one'll like, so I just want someone to give my an idea of how it looks, and if there's anything I need to fix.
My Strengths: I'm pretty good at compromise and "what if"'s; I can take a particular situation and write it out pretty decently. I'm also decent at characterization. I can do comedy pretty well, particularly sarcasm.
My Weaknesses: Dialogue, hands down. That's why I'm using the script format; I have a very tough time writing out conventional dialogues, esp. if they are long or dry. When I do, they end up boring.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added you, dream's-epilogue - only a link to your post though (character limits suck!).
I dont get it? :( Confusing!
Well, as said by .Swift, it's a place where you can get help from people with your fic in proof-reading and all so it's of a higher quality when you post it. Also one can apply to be a Beta Reader.

If you do have questions, then like others have done, just PM or VM me. =)

bobandbill

one more time
Years
By the way, is this thread very active because it doesn't seem like a lot of beta readers are out there and active, since I say that 9 people need beta readers. oh and Do I contact one of the beta readers there or do I wait for someoen to contact me? or is it both?
Well, it seems to be a problem with any beta reader thing on major boards in that there are many more clients than beta readers. (Looking at the one on serebii... O_o). Then beta readers have to juggle stuff with real life and all, and their own fics... Note though that quite possibly some people would have simply forgotten to have told me that they have a mentor now, and are hence still on the list.

And basically - you can either just wait for someone to contact you, or simply contact the Beta Readers and ask them if they could beta you and all (hence their profiles in the first post - allows you to see their style and all, so you can choose who you want/who you think will be of help to your story and all). =)

At any rate, I added you to the first post (once again - stupid apparent character limits....)

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Title of Story: The Eternal Warrior Saga!
Plot summary:
Neo, the warrior of darkness, has returned to Ectureak City as it's part of his way to Mt. Silver. He wants to train more before meeting some of his fellow members, but meets a childhood friend in his abandoned house. He decided to go with her to train, and after that, the adventure of Neo begins as he learns and trains to see Astinus, Exis, and the rest.
Genre: OT, with Darkfic in the second one
Rating (PG, R, etc): 7+
Type of mentor needed: Plot and Grammar
Writing sample of story: This is from Chapter 11, not released as I post this.
Spoiler:

Other: I worked over a month on my book, and I am new to writing. This is my first fanfiction and it's also the best one I wrote. Part of it takes several years in the past.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added.

(And hey - I put that quote in my sig first! =P) (Best way to extend the character limit ever!)

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Really? I just read through the Fanfiction Lounge and I just thought it was hilarious. Now if Xanthine did that, PC would have to give up Fan-fiction, right?

Back