• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Valarauca

I > U for all real values of U
Years
  • Age 32
  • MTU
  • Seen Feb 13, 2012
Help

After spraining my ankle I haven't been able to move around my dorms that much, so I decided to start applying my skill Computer Science to Pokemon. With the lack of anything better to do with my spare time I decided to start making a piece of software to make Pokemon Move/EV sets. Anyways I need help on two fronts, neither requires knowledge about computers.

I haven't played a Pokemon since about November. And I haven't been Shoddybattle for a while longer. So my knowledge of the current Meta-game is well... umm non-existent. So what I am asking for is this.

-A basic list of the most common OU sweepers and walls/bulky, no more then 30(?).
-A basic list of common moves that will be used competitively, by either the Pokemon in question and the test Pokemon.

Thank you to the moderator that approves this, and Thank your to who ever actually helps me. In the mean time, I'll start making a AI that can battle worth crap...

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
After spraining my ankle I haven't been able to move around my dorms that much, so I decided to start applying my skill Computer Science to Pokemon. With the lack of anything better to do with my spare time I decided to start making a piece of software to make Pokemon Move/EV sets. Anyways I need help on two fronts, neither requires knowledge about computers.

I haven't played a Pokemon since about November. And I haven't been Shoddybattle for a while longer. So my knowledge of the current Meta-game is well... umm non-existent. So what I am asking for is this.

-A basic list of the most common OU sweepers and walls/bulky, no more then 30(?).
-A basic list of common moves that will be used competitively, by either the Pokemon in question and the test Pokemon.

Thank you to the moderator that approves this, and Thank your to who ever actually helps me. In the mean time, I'll start making a AI that can battle worth crap...

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=168147

Threats in the OU Metagame, this thread will show you what you're most likely to see in competitive battles in terms of both common pokemon and movesets :D

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
Years
Here's a question. For my OU Baton Pass team, which would you recommend: Togekiss with BP and the normal Serene Grace stuff, or Drifblim with Unburden and a Leichi berry with Sub, Calm Mind/Stockpile, BP and Shadow Ball/TB? My idea for this is to provide a late game boost to my sweeper, most likely Electivire or Porygon-Z.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Hi, I'm doing a Psyhic mono team (If you know me then you would know I've being working on perfecting this team for awhile but that's besides the point)
Right now I'm going over team synergy mostlty how each Pokemon's movesets cover Ghost, Dark, and Bug types, which are Psychic's there weaknesses.

Here are my two options and what I've figured are the pros and cons of each, involving the movesets between Cresselia and Gallade:

1) Run Signal Beam on Cresselia and Night Slash on Gallade
Option 1 gives Gallade coverage against Ghost-types. However I really don't see how this will save him since his Speed is horribly slow. Shadow Sneak I've found
the damage output to be too disappointing on my Jolly Gallade to use, and he needs to be Jolly to outspeed Adamant Luke. Most Ghost-types I've assumed will GG Gallade before he even gets the chance to Slash them due to his above mentioned disappointing speed.

2) Run T-Wave on Cresselia and X-Scissor on Gallade.
The reason why I want X-Scissor is to have a way to get rid of Celebi. Other than X-Scissor on Gallade or Signal Beam on Cresselia, the only other Bug move I have is U-Turn on Jirachi. This gives my team T-Wave support to help Gallade manage with his bad Speed stat, but at the cost of the move Night Slash.

So in order to make my decision I need to know:
1) Is Jolly Gallade (252 Speed EVs for reference) too slow to carry Night Slash because faster Darks will dispove of him first?
2) How much damage will Jolly Gallade (252 Attack EVs, Life Orb) do to Celebi using Night Slash if I use that over X-Scissor.
3) Signal Beam allows Cress to put a dent in enemy Darks, but if Night Slash will do respectable damage to Celebi even if X-Scissor is axed, I probably will use T-Wave.

Movesets for reference:

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Modest nature
EVs: 252 HP/152 Defense/32 Sp Attack/72 Sp Defense
Moves:
-Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Lunar Dance
-Signal Beam / Thunder Wave

Gallade @ Life Orb
Jolly nature
EVs: 6 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
Moves:
-Psycho Cut
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Night Slash / X-Scissor

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
@ ChronicEdge: I'm not experienced with Baton Pass teams so I can't suggest anything.

1) Is Jolly Gallade (252 Speed EVs for reference) too slow to carry Night Slash because faster Darks will dispove of him first?
There is still Rotom-A (who is really common right now), Dusknoir, Spiritomb, Cresselia, Starmie, etc. CC + Night Slash hits everything for at least neutral except Heracross and Gallade, so it's really useful.

2) How much damage will Jolly Gallade (252 Attack EVs, Life Orb) do to Celebi using Night Slash if I use that over X-Scissor.
Night Slash
349 Atk vs 319 Def & 404 HP (70 Base Power): 144 - 170 (35.64% - 42.08%)

X-Scissor
349 Atk vs 319 Def & 404 HP (80 Base Power): 328 - 388 (81.19% - 96.04%)

3) Signal Beam allows Cress to put a dent in enemy Darks, but if Night Slash will do respectable damage to Celebi even if X-Scissor is axed, I probably will use T-Wave.

Movesets for reference:

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Modest nature
EVs: 252 HP/152 Defense/32 Sp Attack/72 Sp Defense
Moves:
-Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Lunar Dance
-Signal Beam / Thunder Wave

Gallade @ Life Orb
Jolly nature
EVs: 6 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
Moves:
-Psycho Cut
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Night Slash / X-Scissor
Thunder Wave would be nice on Cresselia mainly because it would be set-up fodder without it for stuff like Gyarados. :[ And, even if you can hit Dark-types with Signal Beam, you wouldn't want to stay in on them regardless because you will be at risk of being OHKOed. So, Thunder Wave is a lot more useful in my opinion, and Gallade makes good use of it.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
@ ChronicEdge: I'm not experienced with Baton Pass teams so I can't suggest anything.

There is still Rotom-A (who is really common right now), Dusknoir, Spiritomb, Cresselia, Starmie, etc. CC + Night Slash hits everything for at least neutral except Heracross and Gallade, so it's really useful.

Night Slash
349 Atk vs 319 Def & 404 HP (70 Base Power): 144 - 170 (35.64% - 42.08%)

X-Scissor
349 Atk vs 319 Def & 404 HP (80 Base Power): 328 - 388 (81.19% - 96.04%)

Thunder Wave would be nice on Cresselia mainly because it would be set-up fodder without it for stuff like Gyarados. :[ And, even if you can hit Dark-types with Signal Beam, you wouldn't want to stay in on them regardless because you will be at risk of being OHKOed. So, Thunder Wave is a lot more useful in my opinion, and Gallade makes good use of it.

So I guess Option 1 is the verdict here. I'm only afraid that Celebi remains a threat. Without any bug moves besides U-Turn on my Jirachi. ]

Night Slash does hit Gallade neutral and Hera is killed by Psycho Cut. Can someone also run how much Timid Alakazam does to Celebi using Shadow Ball.

I know X-Scissor can OHKO Celebi after SR damage and Night Slash can probably 2KO.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Here's a question. For my OU Baton Pass team, which would you recommend: Togekiss with BP and the normal Serene Grace stuff, or Drifblim with Unburden and a Leichi berry with Sub, Calm Mind/Stockpile, BP and Shadow Ball/TB? My idea for this is to provide a late game boost to my sweeper, most likely Electivire or Porygon-Z.

The idea is to use GOOD sweepers who arent walled by everything, on baton pass teams.

Metagross and Lucario are MUCH better recipitants.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
Night Slash does hit Gallade neutral and Hera is killed by Psycho Cut.
Oh wait, I meant Toxicroak and Heracross lol. :x

Can someone also run how much Timid Alakazam does to Celebi using Shadow Ball.
With LO: 369 Atk vs 236 Def & 404 HP (80 Base Power): 236 - 278 (58.42% - 68.81%)

I know X-Scissor can OHKO Celebi after SR damage and Night Slash can probably 2KO.
Yeah, two switches into SR and it probably 2HKOs (not including Leftovers though).

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Oh wait, I meant Toxicroak and Heracross lol. :x

With LO: 369 Atk vs 236 Def & 404 HP (80 Base Power): 236 - 278 (58.42% - 68.81%)

Yeah, two switches into SR and it probably 2HKOs (not including Leftovers though).

Based on those calculations I should be using Zam to off Celebi not Gallade. Though Gallade may be able to manage after Celebi has been paralyzed by T-Wave so he can outspeed it but I'll be using Zam Shadow Ball against it since its a for sure 2KO, probably even after Leftovers.

Thanks.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Celebi has Natural Cure so it can switch out and get rid of its paralysis.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Based on those calculations I should be using Zam to off Celebi not Gallade. Though Gallade may be able to manage after Celebi has been paralyzed by T-Wave so he can outspeed it but I'll be using Zam Shadow Ball against it since its a for sure 2KO, probably even after Leftovers.

Thanks.

Celebi commonly carries T-Wave + Reflect these days so it basically can cripple you worse than you can cripple it.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
Is Magnezone + Magneton considered breaking the Species Clause?

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Is Magnezone + Magneton considered breaking the Species Clause?
Smogon Definition - Two or more of the same Pokémon may not be used on the same team.
I'm pretty sure that doesn't break it, the clause only states the same Pokemon.

EDIT : Beaten ;-;

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
The official rule on that is if the pokemon don't have the same pokedex number, then they are different species.

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
How many Sp.Atk EVs does a Sceptile need to guarantee an OHKO on the standard Mixpert?

With which attack?

Leaf Storm is a clean OHKO without any Special Attack EVs, and I doubt you need any significant EV investment for Energy Ball to OHKO. Calc said it did like 99% minimum to Max HP Swampert.

Back