• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon trading card game

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 6, 2013
Does anyone remember this for the GBC? I have always loved this game and even now find myself picking it back up and trying to collect them all. :)

Years
I did quite enjoy the game. It was one of my first Pokemon games, actually. It's a shame the sequel was only released in Japan...
I'm hoping the game will be released on the 3DS Virtual Console eventually.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
It's a good game, but super duper difficult imo.

I really like the concept behind it though, and it's a good way to learn how to play the game if you're a newbie :) Plus, the coin flip sweet spot thing, where if you flip just as Pikachu's face is about to show it lands on heads about 80% of the time :)

I'll never touch the actual trading cards though, cause I didn't keep up with ANY of the new mechanics after the first decks.... :/

Years
I did quite enjoy the game. It was one of my first Pokemon games, actually. It's a shame the sequel was only released in Japan...
I'm hoping the game will be released on the 3DS Virtual Console eventually.

As much as I enjoy the game, the biggest issue to come out of that is the Card Pop! mechanic that was used the Infrared sensor to get a random card, and some cards were only obtainable via Card Pop in the original game (4 insanely rare ones, at that). They'd have to rework the game to work with the 3DS's built-in infrared sensor to make those obtainable, or just make them obtainable via regular gameplay. And then rework the multiplayer versus function.

It's a good game, but super duper difficult imo.

I really like the concept behind it though, and it's a good way to learn how to play the game if you're a newbie :) Plus, the coin flip sweet spot thing, where if you flip just as Pikachu's face is about to show it lands on heads about 80% of the time :)

I'll never touch the actual trading cards though, cause I didn't keep up with ANY of the new mechanics after the first decks.... :/

The coin flips are actually predetermined by the game for each match. I think each coinflip result in a match is regenerated immediately after the last one has been determined. This is based on information I've read from multiple sources, including this one: http://www.pojo.com/videogames/TCGGameboy/tips.html

As for the physical TCG, it's not as though you have to use the new mechanics. The older mechanics are largely still intact. Some rules have changed because they were game-breaking, but not many.

Game Boy TCG is fun enough to play that I own 3 cartridges for it, though (mostly so I can CardPop! with myself to get the few cards that cannot be obtained via regular game play).

Years
I was too young to play it on its original release, but it always intrigued me. I played it on an emulator a few months ago and defeated the Grass leader and the Fire one, but it soon got a bit boring.

I'd love a modern version of the game with DLC to include newer sets as their released, but I guess they'd prefer to promote their online version of the TCG.

Years
I was too young to play it on its original release, but it always intrigued me. I played it on an emulator a few months ago and defeated the Grass leader and the Fire one, but it soon got a bit boring.

I'd love a modern version of the game with DLC to include newer sets as their released, but I guess they'd prefer to promote their online version of the TCG.

The likelihood of an actual console version of the game being released is quite low, unless they decide it's worth the money to port the online game to the 3DS as an app, however the system requirements of the online PC version are too high to be ported straight to a 3DS, and would require a lot of changes to both the UI and the backend stuff. They're afraid a console version would cut too deeply into the sales of the physical TCG without some tie-in to the physical packs like they have with the current TCGO. Personally, I'd be fine with them making a more streamlined UI for a 3DS version of the current TCGO.

This GameBoy game is probably the biggest reason I actually stayed invested in the card game past the initial craze.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
The coin flips are actually predetermined by the game for each match. I think each coinflip result in a match is regenerated immediately after the last one has been determined. This is based on information I've read from multiple sources, including this one: http://www.pojo.com/videogames/TCGGameboy/tips.html
I know you posted a link, but I'm sorry. I really refuse to believe that. The amount of times I can get a heads in coin flips just by timing it for Pikachu's face to show is kinda ridiculous...

As for the physical TCG, it's not as though you have to use the new mechanics. The older mechanics are largely still intact. Some rules have changed because they were game-breaking, but not many.
I know that overall it's the same game, but I suppose I really don't want to go through the stress of playing the TCG. I seriously can't afford it :P Aren't the types and matchups a bit different though? When I picked up the GBC game again recently I was blown away by the fact that Geodude was closer to fighting than rock type IIRC?

Years
I know you posted a link, but I'm sorry. I really refuse to believe that. The amount of times I can get a heads in coin flips just by timing it for Pikachu's face to show is kinda ridiculous...

I know that overall it's the same game, but I suppose I really don't want to go through the stress of playing the TCG. I seriously can't afford it :P Aren't the types and matchups a bit different though? When I picked up the GBC game again recently I was blown away by the fact that Geodude was closer to fighting than rock type IIRC?

I'll admit I was a bit surprised when I first saw it, but it makes sense given the fact that it's a GameBoy game. It has to determine the next coin flip during the previous coin flip. I've tried that method in the past and it appeared to work but halfway through the game it appeared to stop working. That's not to say that it's not random, it's just already been determined when you actually press the button for the animation to initiate.

For simplicity's sake the TCG lumped a bunch of the game types together at the beginning since they were similar enough to be grouped together. Grass, Poison, and Bug were all initially grouped together under Grass (Poison has since been moved to Psychic because the Grass type was deemed to have far too many Pokemon falling under it compared to all the other types while Psychic had so comparatively few). Ice and Water were/are grouped together under Water. Ground, Rock, and Fighting were/are grouped under Fighting. Dragon, Normal, and Flying were bundled together under Colorless (Dragon got its own type recently). And then Psychic and Ghost were/are bundled together under Psychic. There's only so many colors that can be easily distinguishable when printed, and having all 15 types have their own color would have been too complex for many people just getting into tabletop collectible card games for the first time. It would have been complete chaos and utterly flopped.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
I liked the game! I LOVE TCG, but I have no one who will play with me. When I say that game, I thought, "I can play be myself!" The guy who uses nothing but slowpoke is weird, though. It is so easy to beat him because his trainer card hurts HIM!

Thief

The Dark One
Years
I remember having this game. Loved it so much. Was distraught when I lost my GBC with that game inside it.
Luckily my Dad for it a couple of weeks later down the side of the sofa cushion.

Still remember battling that weird hex guy, who stood facing the back of the wall in one room and was a complete weirdo. Amazing game though, I still have it, just haven't played it in a long long time.

Flakey Bear

Just watch it.
Years
This was a very fun version of the game, and with it i completely learned how to play the TCG without having to see through Youtube videos and related stuff. The only thing i want of it right now is a DS/3DS sequel, with newer cards and wi-fi battling. That would be even more awesome.

Years
I remember this! Pokemon TCG for GBC was my absolute favorite Pokemon game, even including the main series games. I spent hundreds of hours playing and collecting cards.. though I never did fill my collection. Eventually my dad restarted my game and I lost my amazing file. :( I'm still sad over that.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
I so remember this from my childhood.

I think it's a testament to Pokemon that a market existed for a video game based on a card game based on a video game.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
I kinda like this game a whole bunch :) I remember wanting to try it out and I even got a Holographic Meowth (wizards promo) along with it! :3

But yeah, as far as the game goes, it's really nice to follow the TCG gameplay :) I actually played this game a while back when I was 12 years old, after I defeated this game multiple times I started playing the TCG with my own collected cards throughout the years :)
Since this Gameboy game is quite easy to follow imo, it's a great way to prepare you for the real TCG tournaments! :)

Only thing is, it's a real shame the sequel to this game (with Johto cards etc.) was only released in Japan...

Edit: another fun fact, I own a Pidgeot Jungle series card, and one of the attacks are: Hurricane :) Pidgeot was never able to learn Hurricane before until Gen.5 and Gen.6 :) It's actually pretty neat, since the move Hurricane already appeared back in 1998 in the very first TCG series, but was first introduced as an actual move until the Gen.5 and Gen.6 games :3

Last edited:
Back