• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What makes music music?

Gabri

m8
Years
A well-written, creative, flowing instrumental showcasing the whole band's skills - not just the same repetitive beat+synthetizer even I could play for 5 songs straight. Good lyrics about stuff that does matter, not the same rice about partying and relationship ****.

And that's about it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2013
I like inspirational and sad music like some of Pokemon's music. The one's that are extremely inspirationally sad are we will meet again from lucario and the mystery of mew, You and me and Pokemon from the Pokemon Heroes Soundtrack, and I'll always remember you from Pokemon the rise of Darkrai. You should look them up on YouTube, but some have other versions or different songs with the same name so don't get confused.

Darkhaven3

Jackass
Years

Music is a form of art that I love because it has a tendency to surprise me. It's like, "holy god, how the hell are you doing that? That polyrhythm is incredible," or "Now that's a sick rhythm section made entirely out of quintuplets in 4/4".

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Lyrical and rhythmic, often syncopated rhythms of music is what truly embodies it. There's not much more to it, because all music is different and it's unfair to attempt to single out one or two things as what fully composes music as a whole, and I'm not too sure there is a composite answer.

Silversnk

Valar Dohaeris
Years
I enjoy a lot of genres of music, but most of the time I'm changing my tastes. I could spend a week listening Reggae, the next one dubstep, the next one heavy metal, the next one classical music, and so on.
I'm not really sure what's the part of the music I like the most, but it has to be the feeling of the song, and by that I mean, if it's a sad song it's supposed to have sad lyrics and slow high notes (not a rule, just stereotyping). The notes used on a song it's as important as the frecuency. I don't know why, but old songs have that strange cautivating sound, and I'm aware that those songs aren't in 440Hz, so that could be one of the reasons why.

I think that the things I focus the most on when listening to music are sincopated rythms and unexpected notes, like the E major in Behind Blue Eyes, it's unusual but feels right with the song. Even the backing vocals of a song could be the niche of it.
There's every song for every moment, you just have to look for it and develop some kind of relationship with that music at that moment, so whenever you're having the same feelings again, you reach a state of pleasure just by listening to that music.

When you know the musical modes, you can improvise on almost everything, making odd notes sound coherent with the backing. Take a look at my current favorite guitarist:

Years
I like music that changes. I don't have the music background to describe what I mean very well, but when you've got a song and you can pretty much guess when the chorus part comes in and everything else you have a typical, unchanging song. They aren't bad, but I like music that doesn't do that so much. Like it will be going along, and then in the middle of the song it gets all high and dramatic rather than at the end of the song like you'd expect. Same with the instruments changing up in the middle of the song. It's just nice to hear music that surprises you and still sounds good.

Years
Good acoustic solos through parts of the songs, Green Day's "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" being an epic example

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'm a sucker for songs that heavily feature pianos, as well as songs that build as they go on. Pianos because I spent a large portion of my childhood learning and playing one, so I've become accustomed to their sound, which I love. Whether it's Chopin or Billy Joel or Elton John, I'm more inclined to forgive songs with pianos in them, whatever their other shortcomings. Songs that build is just an intensely personal one that I can't really describe. All of my favourite songs have this element to them, whether it be 'When the Levee Breaks' by Led Zeppelin or 'Think' by Aretha Franklin. If it has a piano AND it builds? Well, that's just a one-way ticket to my musical love, right there!

Years
I'm really starting to like electronic music lately. Trance, EDM, dubstep and house. I feel they can convey movement a lot more tangibly than traditional forms of music and I appreciate that.

Back