• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does your age reflect your battle style

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Not really age. I think its about the knowledge about the Pokemon that affects your strategy. Before I knew about stats, natures and effort values, I used to keep using high base power attacks regardless if they are Physical or Special, Basically just Sheer Power. Also, I used to train pokemon just to level up and learn new moves, but after learning about effort values, I began to be careful of how I train my pokemon with Effort Values.

Anyway, my battle style depends on the stats and movepool of the Pokemon I use, If they have a naturally high Defense, I give it a defensive tactic and add an offensive tactic if they could learn stat increasing moves that increase offense. If they have a high speed stat, a strong attack stat and could learn the Endure-Reversal/Flail combo, I will train it with these factors.

Nineray

Green Okido
Years
I don't think its age(its partly age XD) but rather how long you've been playing. I started when I was about four and up until this year i had no intention of EV training or breeding. If and when i went online i waould get crushed because i didn't think my teams out before hand. Now im going to start EV training, caring about natures and breeding, My sister who just started playing is only worried about using legendary pokemon and moves that do more than 100 damage (Her reaction when i wiped out her team of legendaries with a shuckle blissey and braviary XD). So basically its age and how long you've been training

Years
It's not really age that affects your battling style. I know an eleven year old who strategizes everything he does down to the last Hit Point, and I know another kid that age who's all about heavy hitting. I do fight a little differently because, though I do favor hard-hitting moves, I also use stat changers (e.g. Leer, Swords Dance, Poisoning, etc.). It's a highly offensive strategy. SO I'm a little different.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Not for me, I battled like a brute when I was younger and I battle like a brute now, I like to toy with my opponents sometimes though to make things interesting but sooner or later I just lose patience and go all out offense wise in the blink of an eye lol. Old habits die hard I guess.

Tsukimaru

Double battles veteran
Years
the playstyle is one of a kind in everyone. i mean, everyone has stages like when i taught ice punch to almost every pokemon i had to kill dragon pokemon LOL.

imo, it deppends on how complex the player`s mind is. if you just know the power up or the bulky defense you are certainly going to lose to someone that has a versatile imagination.

i consider myself someone creative :P

Universal

Musician
Years
Back then i used super powerful pokemons, I only cared about doing the most damage and high stats (age 13). Now (age 16) I like to use unique pokemons that people don't normally use, such as Arcanine. I also have different sets of team.One being fire. Now I like to have mixed pokemons in my team, such as walls, offense, stallers.I also never like to use fighting type pokemons.I just don't like them xP Unless they're dual typed.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I'd have to say no, my age / the gen I grew up with, does not reflect my battling style (nor ability). But to say that age dictates your style, you kind of have to assign stereotypes to different ages (13- : clumsy, uneducated / 20+ : wise, collected) which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm 21, I've only been actively battling competitively for the better part of a year, and I've never developed any "maturity" in my battling. Where as some of the best competitors out there are well under my age.

Years
I'm 20 now, and looking back at my battling strategies all the way to the first gen games, it hasn't really changed too much. Sure, I pay attention to type (dis)advantages now rather than just using my favorite Pokemon, and I will use some status-inflicting moves rather than having 4 attacks, but in general, my strategy has always been to do the most amount of damage in the least amount of time. So regarding my age, no, I don't think it really reflects my battling style.

Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2012
More a experience thing then age I think when I was less experienced I used quite offensive teams and baton pass a lot as I became more experienced I focused on balanced to stallish teams that have much higher levels of synergy.

Rain:Pain

humani nil a me alienum puto
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2016
I grew up on 1st generation,
My tactics are essentially the peda.gogy of stalling.

kierany9

Pokemon Master of the world
Years
When I was younger I would just use Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Giratina, Infernape and my Level 100 Blaziken, hoping for a super effective or OHKO hit. Now I'm 13, I use different styles.
My Snorlax in HGSS single handedly took down a Regice, Regirock and Registeel, all at my level by using rest and Giga Impact. I like using raw power, with Pokemon like Blaziken, Aggron and Lucario.
Another thing is being a nuisance(A la Emolga and Raichu). Raichu and Emolga both know Double Team and Thunder Wave, with the latter being taught Swagger as well. When I replayed Emerald, I made sure my Lairon used Iron Defence all the time. It took pathetic damage from even the most super effective moves.
I also make sure my Pokemon have STAB moves and at least some type coverage(My Salamence knows Flamethrower, my Blaziken knows Earthquake, my Lucario knows Crunch...)
In general, I'm an offensive player, with quite a few aces up my sleeve.

Years
age certainly effected my play style. when i was younger at 7ish i used to go for the hardest hitting moves i could find for my pkemon. i would never use support moves or stat reduce and boost moves and i didn't take type advantages into account. now however i usually have 2 decent moves for attacking, 1 stat damage or boost move, and then one move that can counter a weakness.

Years
I'm 19 and I'm a mediocre battler...

Competitive battling makes my head spin. @_@ People come with with intense strategies right down to the EV's/IV's and getting that right Hidden Power move....

Battling isn't really my jam. Hahah!

Shiny_Flareon

The One Whom Smells Like Soap!
Years
Personally I think it is not influenced by age. If you consider it... Every has a battle style based on their personality and attitude. For example, I have a temper, and can be kinda forceful... i am a fairly jolly person... like with a temper like mine... I just think about moves that will hurt the foe. But that is just my opinion.

-Shiny_Flareon

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Well, when I was young during Generation 1 there wasn't really a competitive scene. All of my Pokemon pretty much had 4 attacking moves, sometimes of the same type. The only support move I recall using back then was Recover, and I don't think Hidden Power or anything like that was around then.

It's really hard for me to answer this though, because movepools were really shallow in Gen 1 and Steel/Dark didn't exist (Dragon was almost non-existent too). No abilities, no natures, no items..etc..

But now that I think about it, there are older people who don't really use well-developed strategies in today's metagame as well as young people. I think time devoted to studying the metagame has like, 95%, of the impact on the someones play style and strategy rather than age.

BlaqJester

Guru
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2013
Ive been trying to say the exact statement but you put this in a better way. Once you get to the game mechanics your play style changes.

BLOOOD-La-ti-

This is the place to try!
Years
Back before I discovered PO,(I was 9 then)
I only used legendaries such as Arceus,reshiram,zekrom and mewtwo.
Then after a few weeks.I tried OU,then I saw other people's battling style unfamiliar,
I tried to copy it,
then I discovered competitive battling,and I got attached to it.
It's a huge part of my life now.

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
I am 20, not to much older than yourself! but my batteling style has become much more serious, im not about raw power like when i was younger, much strategy and thought goes into any team i make i always have to win.

why?

to be the very best... like no one ever was

Years
I'm 20, but I'm a sort-of noob at battles.

I do plan on improving and eventually get involved in the big battles on the server. My main battling style is to go with what my current ego is, since I sometimes get a little aggressive I tend to use sweepers a lot.

Back