• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Courage the Cowardly Dog, the more mature animated TV show on Adult Swim?

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
Will Courage the Cowardly Dog become made into a more mature animated TV show on the Cartoon Network's Adult Swim? If not, please tell me the reason?

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
I'm 99.99% sure it won't. Because...

1: That series has been finished for years now.
2: It was a kids show.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Some of the themes prevalent in Courage the Cowardly Dog were extremely mature, in hindsight, as expertly laid out by Cracked.com (I can't seem to find the exact article, unfortunately) and I doubt it'll be brought back because it's one of those older gems that has long since been retired and to unearth it now would be a lost cause. People have moved on, tastes have changed, and no amount of added maturity will make it a more likeable show, even though it was fine asis.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I don't know about the current show. But back in the days when I was a kid, It certainly was a show for more matured viewers, it had frightening scenes and whatnot.

And the show is actually still running? And making more episodes?

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
Umm i'm sure the show is cancelled but I think I've seen some old episodes on CN here and thre not to long ago idk.

But honestly I think the show was a lil mature as it is seing it was a show I tended to avoid as a young child just cuz of the themes they showd. Some of which were undeniably demonic in nature. But answering your question, i dont think there will be a reboot just due to the fact the the show had its time, but now is just not in favor of too many people any more.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Oh okay. I didn't have cartoon network for a loooong time. Last time I had the channel was when Toonami was still airing...

Do you think they should do a channel dedicated to old Cartoon Network shows? So they can air shows like Courage and all those goodies? They did the same with Boomerang.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
Well, what about its creator John R. Dilworth of Stretch Films, Inc. renew Courage the Cowardly Dog into a more mature animated TV show on the Cartoon Network's Adult Swim?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't think that show was really aimed at the younger children, but older ones around 8-13. So while it was mature, it was still aimed at children and I didn't think it was bad. It was like small horror movies for children, really. And of course, they weren't as gruesome as horror movies are. So I don't make this show out to be as frightening and mature as people seem to think.

I don't think the show will be renewed to be remade for adults though honestly. Production ceased in 2002 as someone mentioned, which was eleven years ago. That'd be quite the late comeback, but later have happened (Thundercats, ho!). I think it's possible, but I don't think it will be any time soon, unless you're implying you read that this was happening. If it does, I probably won't watch it. I enjoyed the cartoon to a degree (and really, I found more humor in it than fear...some of us think different than others!) but it's not something I'd pick up and watch again if it were set to my age. Cause things aimed at my age don't always interest me. :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I loved Courage! But yeah, theres a small chance of that happening. It's been off the air since 2002, why mess with something that was already great? I would hate for them to do that.

It'd also be really weird to see the show turn into something more mature and adult swim worthy. I don't see how that would even work out.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
If Courage made it to Adult Swim, then it would be more because of attracting a new audience over the show actually having mature content. Sure, censors are stricter now than during Courage's run, but it's hardly a mature show just because it frightens kids.

The audience that it could attract would be a much better reason. People constantly complain about how the cartoons of their childhood are dead, so airing them at night as opposed to the middle of the day on Cartoon Network would attract these viewers.

But yeah, no, there's like zip, nada, cero chances of it being fully remade.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Whilst it would be cool if this happened, I really don't think anything like this will be in the works. The show's been dead now for almost 10 years I think? If they were to come back with a more adult version I think they'd probably go for a new theme/characters rather than redoing Courage as a lot of people will have forgotten about it by now. Although I am very interested to see what kind of changes they'd make to create a more mature version like you're talking about, it sounds kinda scary haha.

Pleiades

I am the Dragonairborn!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 29, 2013
I'm normally completely open to reboots, but Courage is something I'd rather see left untouched. Besides, most cartoons on adult swim tend to have dark humor. Courage had slapstick humor, but it wasn't necessarily dark humor.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Like most of those era of CN cartoons, it had its fair share of adult humor. Always loved the shady salesman myself. And god no, don't let Adult Swim touch it. Its good as is, and I wouldn't be happy to see it tampered. That would be as bad as going back to Billy and Mandy, which is another excellent CN classic.(DESTROY US ALL!)

I love how all the ordinary programming from my childhood is being brought back on Adult Swim or is being talked about being put on late night, more mature programming. Kids these days are wimps.
This, this, and THIS. Anything from the late 90s early 2000s is seemingly too strong for kids these day. I cannot comprehend it at all to be honest, cause 6-10 years is too short of a time span to have the strong humor and clever radar avoidance cut out completely. Tried talking to my Cousin about early Spongebob, and he never seen an epsiode earlier then 2007, not because he wasn't old enough back then, but also cause the really early stuff is a bit more....risque. Try explaining the panty raid episode to a kid after watching random episodes.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Like Elendil said, it's good as it is, and like everyone else has said, it's been dead so long that there'd be no point in reviving it :P

Back