• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

What does HP resemble?

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
So, everything is nice except this thing. I mean, I know it's just a game and it isn't realistic but HP has to resemble something. I mean there has to be some basis around it. HP is Hit Points. I get it. It's how many hits the Pokemon can take. But what determines this?
When I look for Giga Drain it says that it saps the opponent's energy. Milk Drink and Softboiled say that the Pokemon replenish their lost energy. Recover and Rest too. Bulbapedia also states that Blissey has the highest HP stat thus it has the most stamina.
So, HP is energy and stamina?

Then again what does being energetic have to do with withstanding attacks? Dogs are super energetic and have lots and lots of energy and stamina. Does this mean they can endure more damage than anything else? I am not pretty sure about it because a Chihuahua has tons of energy yet I'm sure it can only take a kick.

Then again, Bulbapedia states that HP is comparable to body mass thus the larger the Pokemon, the more it can withstand. That's very logical. An elephant can take more shots than a dog. A whale can take even more. I mean a large guy can take more hits than a skinny one. They have a bigger body surface for injury to spread on.
Anyway, HP being based on body mass and size is logical but there are so many exceptions. Blissey isn't even comparable to Wailord in size and yet she has the highest HP. Wigglytuff, Wobbuffet, Alomomola, Drifblim, Jigglypuff, Vaporeon, Lapras etc all have tremendous HP but they aren't even large.
Jigglypuff is far smaller than Hippowdon yet it has higher HP.

So, what's HP? What do you think

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I just think of HP as hitpoints. Even though things like Softboiled say "Pokemon replenish lost energy" I feel as if Gamefreak is implying that Energy is the same thing as hitpoints, since hitpoints determine the endurance and bulkiness of the pokemon.

Making Energy it's own seperate stat would be contradicting to every other stat, since all attacks and defensive moves require some amount of energy. I propose that even absorbing damage from an enemy attack also requires a great deal of energy to withstand. Even speed requires some amount of Stamina or energy too.

Just what I think =/

Batel

A nothing.
Years
My thought is that when the move speaks of 'Restoring energy', it may be energy that helps the pokemon in question to stay standing longer. Energy is something that I see as a requirement for every aspect of pokemon, as pokemon(as Piemanfiddy has said) need energy to attack or defend or whatever else they do. I think perhaps the 'energy' regained from Giga Drain and other such healing moves are speaking of the specific energy a pokémon needs to stay standing. I'd also point out that perhaps willpower would be a factor for hit points. And since other types exert so much willpower in their attacks or defense or even on their speed, perhaps Blissey's will is all poured into it's stamina and staying up as long as it can to help it's fellow pokémon.

I wouldn't say there's any clear cut answer, so I'll think on this a little more. But for now, that's what I think.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I normally think it as Energy.
When you run out of Energy (HP) You faint.
Getting more energy, by resting, you are restored to your usual self.

Also, the more energy (HP) you have, the better chance you have on doing more for yourself (the Trainer).

Sirfetch’d

I just think of it as energy. I dont tend to put to much thought into these kind of things. There is one thing I have learned playing Pokemon-Never question GF's logic.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
Back when I was a kid I thought HP represented as life source. And the feeling of HP about to hit zero is like giving your life energy to Goku when hes about to do a Spirit Bomb. But the giving part is slightly painful.

But it's energy. -___-

Years
I think that HP just represents a Pokemon's energy left to battle. That's why when a Pokemon faints, it can't go into battle again (unless you use a Revive), but still has the ability to use HMs.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Thinking about it, I never thought of HP as anything besides HP. I didn't even know it was hit points for the longest time, and I didn't associate it with anything. It was like a Pokemon-exclusive thing that really had no external meaning to me. Once it hit zero, the Pokemon fainted.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I think of HP as health, for some random reason.

27thColt

The Collector
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
Here,it is like this.

HP is "Hit Points" and that is how much hits it can take.Therefore it is stamina.But it is also energy.When you run out of HP,your pokemon faints.Therefore it is also energy.It is like life.HP is just like life,and health.Health is how good you are feeling.If you have good health you are strong and not weak.But if you have bad health,then you're weak.

HP is more of energy though.The stats Defense and Sp.Defense are stamina.They are that because the higher the Defense/Sp.Defense,you can resist attacks more.Therefore HP is really more of energy.No energy means fainting.The green/yellow/red bar is how much energy of your pokemon is remaining.The other portion is how much is lost.Like Nintendork15 said,resting makes energy go back up and healed.

So,the answer is that HP is just energy in numbers.

Now the real question is,how do sprays heal energy?

That can also be answered.The HP bar also resembles how much more damage it can take before it faints.Now,this does NOT mean that HP is stamina.When it says that on Bulbapedia,it means that when damage is taken,you lose energy.Stamina is how much damage can be RESISTED.The previous paragraph supports this answer on how Defense and Sp.Defense is stamina.

Anyways,sprays will help pokemon regain energy by spraying on the wounds and scars.It is like alcohol or medicine in the form of a spray.When the wounds are gone,pokemon are healed and ready to battle.

So we have many conclusions here.Let me list them down.

1.HP resembles energy NOT Stamina.
2.To further support 1,Defense and Sp.Defense resembles Stamina.
3.Stamina is how much damage can be resisted NOT how much damage can be recieved.

Thank you for reading this "essay" and hope you like reading people write many many things in a forum post.

Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2013
I would argue that HP would be synonymous with stamina. The more a monster gets hit the less stamina it has until it gets knocked out. It's kind of the same as a boxing match. Even if you are not punching in a boxing match, you will still get worn out if you get punched.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
I don't think it's energy PP is energy. I think of more of hit points as how many hits a Pokemon can take before they faint.

Back