• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How does a PokéBall work?

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2013
Hello!

When you already carry six Pokémon and you catch another one, it will be automatically teleported to the box. Therefore, I used to think that the Pokémon is not actually located in a PokéBall - the PokéBall is like a portal. This means when you send a Pokémon into the PokéBall, it is teleported somewhere - maybe to a storage of Pokémon (a storage like the farms in the movie "Matrix" where the Pokémon dreaming in a preserving liquid).

Then I thought the PokéBall dehydrated the Pokémon like the other experiments in the series "Lilo & Stitch". But in Pokémon there's no hint for dehydrogenation. Pokémon become digitized.

Pokémon are stored on the PC in a digital form. When it really work like that I have only one explanation:
The Pokeball scans the Pokémon at the moment in which it's send back to the PokéBall (in the series the red stuff that encase the Pokémon) and get all informations about the Pokémon - absolutely every information: thoughts, memories, emotions - everything the PokéBall needs to reproduce a perfect copy of the Pokémon. The Pokémon is destroyed and there is nothing left that the Trainer could notice. When you use the PokéBall to "let out" the Pokémon, the PokéBall create a completely new Pokémon that looks just like the old Pokémon, that was destroyed. This new Pokémon even has the memories of the old Pokémon and therefore it believes that it is the old Pokémon. Therefore, it's not afraid of the Pokeball, which destroys it.

What do you think how PokéBalls work?

Thank you for your answers and sorry for my bad english! I hope you could understand what I try to explain.

Last edited:

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
What you said is right. But how it work is that, when it catches a Pokemon, it transforms it into red energy. They show info whenever they get scanned by a PokeDex or PC.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2013
The PokéBall transforms Pokémon into red energy. But the Pokémon can be saved on a PC, too. And there it's saved in digital form. So I think the red energy visualized how the PokéBall scans the Pokémon.
But have you never thought about what happens to the Pokémon when it's caught? I mean the PokéBall also alter the mind of the Pokémon and make it more obedient.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I actually did extensive research on this once. You see, the pokeballs transform the pokemon into electromagnetic energy, hence the red light, and uses a suction force to pull the pokemon in. When electromagnetic energy comes into contact with matter it produces heat, too much heat. That's why the copper pins are in there. They absorb the heat and cool it down. The mirrors are to center the pokemon in to the data collection source, the green ball middle. It will then do all the info, connect the data to the other pokeballs, pokedex, etc. The pokemon is still the same energy stored in the data source or else there would be no way for it to retain emotion or memory. If you have any questions, feel free to PM or VM me. Hope I could help!

~Sincerely
PikakittenX, devout member of the Pokecommunity

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
@pikakitten wow, that's pretty detalied! How did you find out all of that?
I just thought the pokeball "stores" the pokemon, and never thought of the technical details.

pikakitten

Years
Like I said EXTENSIVE research, took me a month I think to try to take everything into matter. I had a whole report style thing on my old laptop but that sort of went *boom* overheat. If you have any questions please VM or PM me. Bye!

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
I think they can sense 6 othere captured Pokemon and go all Digimon to teleport.

pikakitten

Years
No they don't sense each other or teleport (at least by choice anyway)
Like I said, when the Pokemon is captured, it registers the data to the other pokeballs
Then if the balls register 7, the last captured will go to the PC.
Your pokeballs are registered to each other when you buy them most likely to share the same code by seeing your trainer card, the cashier will scan them and activate them, like a credit card.
If you have any questions PM or VM me, glad I could help!

~Sincerely

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2012
Watching Pokemon when I was younger, then wondering about this same thing my entire life, I've concluded: magic.
Edit: Sorry, I'd posted this without reading through, glad someone thinks the same thing haha
It's all black magic, with shiny red lights attached

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2013
I go by Pokemon Special/Adventure logic here and it is IN FACT possible to have multiple pokemon but it is a faux pa since you cant concentrate on each of your poekmons if you have too many.
Thats why Bill actually built the Box-system in the first place.

For the Pokeballs thesmelf I always assumed that the Pokemon themself are actually unstable on a genetic level, in which the give off EM-energy (it would also explain why Electric pokemon can produce lightning from their bodys):
This also causes their evolution. Pokemon-stones (leaf, fire, and so on) give off a radiation which enfuses thsoe for evolution.

Thats why I agree mostly with Pikakittens theory

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2012
Something magic inside them! The real question is? Where do pokemon poo inside pokeballs?

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Hm. Let's see now.

Pokémon, when caught, enters the PokéBall as a red light, resulting from what PikaKitten said -- electromagnetic energy. Hence, we now know how PokéBalls work, but we don't know how the PokéBall is automatically sent to a computer system if we already own six Pokémon.

Let's think this through, guys. In the Pokémon Anime, Ash sends his seventh or more Pokémon to Professor Oak. This is Pokémon General, so the Anime is also included. The player -- or in the Anime case, Ash -- sends his excess PokéBalls to a professor.

Game-wise, I have no idea.

pikakitten

Years
No they don't sense each other or teleport (at least by choice anyway)
Like I said, when the Pokemon is captured, it registers the data to the other pokeballs
Then if the balls register 7, the last captured will go to the PC.

Your pokeballs are registered to each other when you buy them most likely to share the same code by seeing your trainer card, the cashier will scan them and activate them, like a credit card.
If you have any questions PM or VM me, glad I could help!

~Sincerely

I've technically already answered this, I'm guessing that it goes to Prof. Oak because Ash maybe shares a PC account with him, as they both tend to use it. Game-wise would work too with my idea, though it never shows it being scanned though you know it has too because buying 100 pokeballs?! Just scan 1 and times it 100 and it shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

Years
Scanning Pokeballs at the mart makes sense, until you get into the ones people give you, or you find on the ground.

I reckon this is where trainer cards and trainer IDs come into play. Maybe the Pokeball can read your number or something, or a chip in the card, then it's registered to you.

pikakitten

Years
True, I didn't think of that. I guess it's only reasonable that the chip be in your card, it helps make the connecting to the PC, pokeballs, Pokedex; nav, gear, watch, etc. a lot easier. It's all connected to your ID, now it serves a bigger purpose xD

Back