• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen A Pokemon is on the hook!

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
In Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald we had a rather different fishing system from the other games in Pokemon. You had to hit the A button any time the game said "Oh! A bite!" and had to repeat this for an indefinite amount of time before that Pokemon finally was on the hook.

What do you think of this new system of fishing? Do you like it or hate it?

129u.png

No matter what rod you use, this is there...

Last edited:
Years
I remember fishing back when I played Ruby and I thought it was very hard back then. Not to mention I kept fishing up too many of the same Pokemon. I actually hated this way because I was always impatient and therefore didn't reel anything up most of the time.

I am glad it did get simplified in later generations though.

Feebas

Unevolved
Years
I mostly agree with Hikari, the fishing system in RSE was quite annoying, and I'm gladit was simplified in later generations. I had so much trouble figuring out how to fish with the good and super rod I had to ask a friend how to fish with them.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
I didn't like this system very much at all. The games before it let you do something else while waiting and I got to used to that. Also, the timing where it said "Oh! A bite!" was inconsistent, which got really annoying.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I never really fished too much in RSE, as I loved the Marills near the Daycare.

I remember trying to find a Feebas once, though, that was annoying...

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I did not like the new way of fishing because if was annoying watch for the "oh it's a bite"
and most of the time I reeled in to fast.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I didn't like that system at first, but that was mostly because of my emulator that was set on fast-motion and I didn't know how to reset it lol. Whenever I tried to press the A button whenever the "Oh, a bite!" message popped up, I was too slow and the Pokemon escaped Every Single Time.

After I managed to reset the emulator only then was I able to fish. I kinda got the concept right away, but it quickly got annoying. I disliked the inconsistency of the bites. It always kept me on watch, and sometimes when a bite suddenly comes in and I'm not prepared for it, I lose the Pokemon. ><

There are also some good aspects of it though. The bites served as an indicator. It allowed me to know whether the Pokemon on the hook was a rare/strong one or not. The more the bites, the rarer/stronger the Pokemon. If the Pokemon was a Magikarp, it got hooked by usually only one or two bites, but if the Pokemon was a Gyarados, there were many, many more.

I've also tried the Feebas hunt, but I got too frustrated, so I stopped searching. Lol.

Years
Especially when looking for Feebas, tapping A numerous times just to see what Pokemon you hooked got annoying quickly. And many other times, very quickly after seeing "Oh, a bite!" the Pokemon will disappear right away. This always annoyed me, because I'd usually be watching TV or something when playing, but if I wasn't paying 100% attention to my game, I could never fish properly.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Mm, not cool.

The fishing process, easy I take it, but it elongates the time a lot so I couldn't keep battling Wailmers and Wailords to gain monstrous Exp. So in a way I was relieved when this system shortened out in FR, but I really think this system was great since you'll get the real feel of fishing.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
One of the worst ideas by Gamefreak. Finding a Pokémon with the Rod already involves an element of luck, and then they decided to turn it into a minigame. Also sometimes a Pokémon took several bites to hook, then it wasn't really that good.

Years
Tryng to find a feebas with this method is sooooo ennoying, i just gave up. I tried to find i feebas on each of my cartridges of R/S/E and gave up on each.... I just dont want to bother lol.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I've been quite fortunate in my Feebas hunts. I found it quickly.

I agree that the system is annoying, but as I played Gen III over and over and over I gradually became used to it without thinking 'This is annoying'. I found a shiny Magikarp on my Ruby file too, hunting for Feebas.

JustChillin810

xX_ElectricPikachu_Xx
Years
I think it was a lot more difficult then it should have been. Although, a good number of players probably complained about the fishing system being too easy. Otherwise, it was a just a really stupid decision to change the system.

SirVer

Worshipper of Blaziken
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2015
I actually really liked that system. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm biased towards RSE, but it made sure you were paying attention to the game, though it gets annoying when hunting for Feebas. The only thing I would change about the fishing system is that often when something gets away, the next few times you fish, nothing comes up, though I don't know whether this is actually programmed in, or if it's just my bad luck.

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
Fishing in Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald, I hated it, I really didn't want to have to sit there for about an hour trying to get a magikarp (I wanted a gyarados), it was so annoying, just didn't want to do anything that included a fishing rod.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I thought it was a lot more realistic, but also too annoying to be considered a good thing. I'm far too impatient to put up with that kind of stuff :P

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 4, 2022
I liked it, it was the only one that made sense to me, and it wasn't all that hard. Plus I was always lucky on my Feebas hunt, finding him in my very first tries.

tealwing

Genie
Years
The new system of fishing that we got in RSE was interesting. It actually got players more involved in fishing unlike the other series, where you just sit and wait for a Pokemon to bite the bait. The player had to be alert at all times in case the Pokemon got away.

Personally, I took the longest time trying to figure out how to fish when I first played Pokemon Sapphire. I even had to Google it. >_>

And yes, I agree with OP - Magikarps do show up everywhere when you try to fish in RSE.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
The new system of fishing that we got in RSE was interesting. It actually got players more involved in fishing unlike the other series, where you just sit and wait for a Pokemon to bite the bait. The player had to be alert at all times in case the Pokemon got away.

Personally, I took the longest time trying to figure out how to fish when I first played Pokemon Sapphire. I even had to Google it. >_>

And yes, I agree with OP - Magikarps do show up everywhere when you try to fish in RSE.

Mhh, exactly. The problem is that after the hard hooking you still get a Magikarp. But I once caught a Lvl. 19 Wailord tho.

Back