• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Uno, Dos, Tres.

Which one?

• Articuno

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Zapdos

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Moltres

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Years
Legendary_birds.png

Shameless copypasta from Bulbapedia: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Legendary_birds

Legendary birds is a collective term used to refer to the trio of Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. They are also known as the winged mirages (Japanese: まぼろしのつばさ phantom wings).

Being the first legendary trio, they set the standards for future trios; that is, they all share similar attributes and—in the case of most of the future trios—are considered equal among themselves. Like the other trios later would, the legendary birds share a master in Lugia (in the anime and some games, at least), as well as two common traits: their Flying-type and their Ability, Pressure. In the anime, Professor Oak states that Articuno and Moltres combined powers of ice and fire are the source and cradle of the oceans, and that Zapdos' electric energy creates the currents and streams, which is why the three ancient creatures are closely bound to the guardian of the ocean, Lugia.

Now about the thread title... Practically everybody knows this by now, but if you look at the names of the Legendary birds closely, they end with these words: Uno, dos, tres. In order.

Now the question is, which one is your favorite?

blue

gucci
Years
I like all three legendary birds, but out of the trio my favorite is Articuno. It has beautiful colors and it is a combination of my two favorite types which are Flying & Ice.

Sirfetch’d

Articuno by far! I have always used Articuno on my teams if possible because I remember back to the days of RBY and using it to help take down the Elite four with it's powerful Ice Beam alone. Articuno is the most beautiful and majestic of the three and it will always be my favorite.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Battling-wise, Zapdos is my favorite bird. It has a unique mixture of types, its stats are all right, and its movepool isn't that bad compared to a lot of other Pokémon. I have a Zapdos who knows Roost, Thunderbolt, Toxic, and Heat Wave. It acts as a special wall and is able to deal with Pokémon that most teams seem to be weak against. Toxic is there to take down Pokémon that have high defensive stats, such as Hippowdon. With Heat Wave, it easily counters Breloom, a Pokémon that many people love to use. Thunderbolt will make it easier for you to defeat rain teams. Finally, with Roost, you could always make sure that your HP is never low.

Articuno is my favorite design-wise. Its eyes are very pretty, it has amazingly bright colors, and its tail looks like a big ribbon, which is absolutely beautiful. (:

Years
Back in the days of Pokemon Yellow, my favorite was Zapdos, simply because it was an upgrade over Pikachu, and nothing more. For the sake of the poll, and the fact this is about the original games, I voted for Zapdos.

Currently though, my favorite is Articuno. It's got the best design out of the three in my opinion, and the best typing of Ice/Flying. Not only that, but I love its moveset as well (whoever came up with the evil concotion of Mind Reader and Sheer Cold is some sort of evil genius).

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Articuno because of Sheer Reader or Mind Cold. Plus, in PMD, we could link moves together. HOW COOL IS THAT? INSTA-KILL, EVERY TIME.

And because I like its regal design. I have to say Moltres is also pretty amazing, but Articuno for the looks.

Years
My fave of the three is Articuno for various reasons.

It's blue, and it's a color I really love because most of my fave Pokemon are of that color. The design is better-looking and different from the other two. I love how powerful Ice-types are and that Mind Reader + Sheer Cold combo totally pwns. The other two aren't bad though but Articuno's beauty won me over.

Years
I like all three of them, but I had to go with Articuno.. I've always liked its design for one, and one thing I have noticed is that it's the only of the three birds to have a unique color to it (the other two having some shade of Yellow to them), and because you can see it flying from the gate house between Route 15 and Fucshia :P

SonOfASubmariner

Not the only one with an avatar R/B Golbat related
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 19, 2017
I'm gonna have to go with Zapdos on this one.

Electric/Flying was an unique type combination back in Gen 1 and Zapdos was amazing back then in my viewpoint.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
Articuno is my favourite Legendary bird Pokemon because he looks majestic and regal. Zapdos is my second favourite and I've never had an opinion on Moltres.

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
Articuno is number one! (sorry bad pun) But I still remember using him in my first time ever playing Red and using my Masterball on him because at the time I didn't know that Mewtwo was in the game. Aahh, the memories...

Kokonoé1

Demon Overlord Top
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 27, 2019
That TCG Jumbo card artwork is pure awesome. I use to have that card, and seeing it now makes me want to repurchase it.

Anyhow~ I like Zapdos the most. Very cool design, but I do love all three, however.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
#moltresnolove

I love Zapdos, he electric he good against Lances pesky gyardos and is good to take with you through the elite four

Heather

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2021
Oh wow this is a hard one for me.... I would have to say Articuno. I have a soft spot for ice type Pokemon. :P

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Articuno has to be my favorite of the 3. It was only 1 of 2 Ice Types in Gen 1, and it looked the best of the 3 Legendary Birds. It's Ice Beam attack does quite a lot of damage, too.

Pínk1

..?
Years
Oh wow, I'm surprised Articuno has gotten so much love!~

Out of all the in-game cries, Articuno's was my favorite. It was my second Lv. 100 in Blue and will always have a special place in my heart.

Back