• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your take?

QuickSilveri

Veteran
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
I have a question (or more of an idea) that I have wanted to ask regarding the future of pokemon. Obviously, 3D is the next big thing, but what about something else?

The recent(ish) HeartGold and SoulSilver had a setup in them that could be employed in future games, one that i personally liked. The devs connected the Kanto and Johto regions, giving a sense of one large journey, one that continues after eight gyms and one E4+1 stint. I found that pretty fun to toy with in my head (wackjob, i know).
What if a major release down the line incorporated EVERY created region (to that point) in one game?: All the regions were connected and you moved from one to the next, collecting badges and battling their respective E4+1's. I was never a huge fan of the anime, but would this component make it more of a reputation building adventure, as you travel the "world" trying to "catch 'em all"?

In a way this would lead to an endgame much different then past games. Instead of completing sidequests after an initial victory, you simply move on to conquer the next region. Until you win on the "final stage," you would never be trapped in a timeless warp of training and retraining that every player experiences at a game's conclusion, when all has been accomplished. Have I gotten you thinking? What if 3DS updates added new regions to the game as they came out? How 'bout now?

What do you guys think? Is it possible that this would ever happen? Simply a scenario to stir some discussion.

Regards, Chris

PS. Please do not use the "too much data to store on a gamecard" excuse.

SLITCX

Spontaneous Water Lover
Years
Yes, it would be possible. In fact, they may make one later on. But there would probably be too many legendaries to try and capture. For example, finding Latias, Latios, Suicune, etc that move around the map... I think that would be a hassle to do.

Furthermore, if they do do this, I hope they would scale the Pokemon's level to match the Trainer's Pokemon to make it more challenging.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
I doubt this will happen. The only games that have had a second region in them were the Gen 2 games and HG/SS, which were intentionally built off of the first games.

Including every region in 1 game takes away the purpose of buying the other games. Plus, the way the games are currently programmed, you'd be near level 100 by the end of region #2. With 4 more regions, they'd have to totally redo the leveling system.

Plus, these stories are all stand-alone and should be left like that. I think it's just much better to leave the games as they are.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
I doubt this will happen. The only games that have had a second region in them were the Gen 2 games and HG/SS, which were intentionally built off of the first games.

Including every region in 1 game takes away the purpose of buying the other games. Plus, the way the games are currently programmed, you'd be near level 100 by the end of region #2. With 4 more regions, they'd have to totally redo the leveling system.

Plus, these stories are all stand-alone and should be left like that. I think it's just much better to leave the games as they are.

this

for "every region in 1" to be feasible, the change they'd have to make on the systems, movesets, etc, would have to be so big (to keep it playable AND enjoyable) that the idea is automatically dismissed.
the development would simply consume too much of their time and money.

besides, how much would you be prepared to pay for something that big knowing it will eventually become outdated?

another option is to make an mmo, but i think it's pretty clear they don't want to go that route cause:

1- they WILL keep doing main games for handhelds only
2- they WILL keep the story on single player

yeah, i know it may look good on paper but as soon as you stop to think about it realistically, you understand it won't happen.
unless, for some reason, they get desperate in the future and do it as a last resort.

there's a huge difference between cool and reasonable

Back