• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Another question: I am breeding this Jolly Sneasel. Its IVs are 31,25,15,31,15,31. This ranges in order HP,Atk, Def, Sp Atk, Sp. Def and Speed. My question is; Is this Sneasel Good enough with its defenses and such or should I just keep breeding for a more perfect Sneasel

Zekrom1066

Master of Ideals
Years
Sneasel's already quite frail and gets OHKOed easily, so having 15 IVs in both defenses doesn't really matter. The 31 IVs in HP could also make up for it, although just a little bit.

Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2013
Preparing for battle/conquest

Well, I am getting SoulSilver soon, and so are five or six of my friends. We host tournaments. So, I was wondering if anyone could give me great advice on which pokemon to select in the beginning for battling friends, while keeping in mind: I DO WANT TO BEAT THE GAME TOO.

I want an unstoppable team, so let's talk SS!

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
If you're using Drizzle, yes. That's because if two Pokemon with different weather abilities are tossed out in the first turn, the one with the slower speed will set the weather. That's partially why you see very few Ninetales out on the first turn. They never win the initial weather battle.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
If you're using Drizzle, yes. That's because if two Pokemon with different weather abilities are tossed out in the first turn, the one with the slower speed will set the weather. That's partially why you see very few Ninetales out on the first turn. They never win the initial weather battle.

Is it a good Idea to send politoad out on first turn?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
It depends on the situation. If the opponent has opposing weather, maybe, depending on if you want to bet on the speed or if you want to go for a switch for guaranteed weather. Or if opponent has a Politoed of his own, you could take a bet and rely on him bringing out THEIR toed and free a teamslot for yourself... or not. Or if you're running Swift Swim and opponent has an obvious Trick Room team, Politoed would be an iffy choice in that case.

Anyhow, like any other strategy, it depends on what your battle style is, and what the opponent has. Don't lock yourself into doing the same thing over and over.

ShiningLust

Gym Leader of Ground Oden
Years
hi guys I gotta question is Nidoking or Nidoqueen still worth using anymore cuz I remember back in they were good Pokemon to use but idk can someone pm and tell me if they are

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
hi guys I gotta question is Nidoking or Nidoqueen still worth using anymore cuz I remember back in they were good Pokemon to use but idk can someone pm and tell me if they are

Theroretically, Nidoking would see more use than Nidoqueen in OU because it's stronger and faster. However, both Nidos see more use in the UU environment, with Nidoking being used more frequently for the above reason. Both have the Sheer Force ability, which powers up their moves with secondary effects (effects with chances of occuring, like Earth Power's 10% chance of Special Defense reduction), but disables those effects.

ShiningLust

Years
Theroretically, Nidoking would see more use than Nidoqueen in OU because it's stronger and faster. However, both Nidos see more use in the UU environment, with Nidoking being used more frequently for the above reason. Both have the Sheer Force ability, which powers up their moves with secondary effects (effects with chances of occuring, like Earth Power's 10% chance of Special Defense reduction), but disables those effects.

oh well thanks for the info well im trying to make a new team but but i was looking to add him or her but i can find the right Pokemon to make my team good cuz i keep losing all the time

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
In a doubles Drizzle Politoad. How important are to have good IVs in the HP area? I have bred many DW poliwags and can only dig up 2-3 IV Hps. I have this poliwag with great IV stats except in HP and Atk. Also would it be worth putting in 252 Hp on this poliwag?

Last edited:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
It is just pure luck to get a good HP IV stat on Poliwag, as you never know what it's stats are going to be like. Nonetheless if you are going to evolve it and use it in battling I would recommend 252 HP and a moveset consisting of Scald/Surf, Ice Beam, Encore and Protect. With that, Politoed makes a great Weather Tank.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
@ Boilurn - Good for singles, wouldn't recommend it for doubles. No one uses Encore in doubles because the thing that got Encored will either switch its target or switch out, which isn't good for Politoed either way. And besides, it's too slow to use it effectively.

@ Adrian - If you can't get the HP IV, whatever. Trade for it or not, your call. But the Politoed MUST have the 252 HP. It's too frail not to have it (unless you're holding Wacan Berry but that's another story).

ShiningLust

Years
hi guys I got a question about this Pokemon cuz I've never used him so I want y'all to tell me how good he is

Rampardos
Nature: Naughty
Level: 70
Attack: 300
Defense: 100
Sp.Atk: 98
Sp.Def: 71
Speed: 107

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Without knowing its EVs, can't tell whether or not it's good. What I CAN say is that its special defense is already crud and Naughty only makes it worse. If you don't care that its paper bag defense is now a wet-paper bag defense, then Naughty works.

Back