• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tips on: Whats cool in a Story and whats not...

Years
Cool:
1. If typed, put a few screenshots or two on each page, i myself have done it a few times and all my readers loved them...

Uncool
1. stuff like this:
Bob: Hello Sally
Sally: Hello Bob

its BORING, i personally dont like it, it annoys me to no end, type like a dialouge... not like roleplaying, USE QUOTES!

well, anyone want to add anything?

Years
Screenshots are optional. A good story doesn't require fancy work or anything, especially if you know you are skilled. And since there are only a few people here who actually appreciate well written work, appeasing the superficial readers isn't very accomplishing, nor is it satisfying to me.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Dark-Umbreon said:
They are optional, but i like to give my readers a sense of where they are im my story...

You should be telling the reader what's going on through words, not actual images. You are a writer, after all. And if what you're writing isn't clear enough to give the reader a hint at what's happening, then chances are you need to rework your style until the reader can at least conjure mental image of where the characters are.

That said, personally, I believe that images -- even headers, or banners that proclaim the story's logo -- are an indication that the writer is covering up for a lack of talent by attempting to distract the reader. But that's just me.

Years
I do agree with Kazeto. Images will just distract your readers from the actual story. After all, your main goal is to entertain your audience by telling a story in the best ways as possible using the right word choices and structures.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2022
Hmm, the only thing with screen shots that I even remotely enjoy is when it's fanart, and well done, with a good coloring job. Sometimes, I'll make little sprite comics at the very end, but it won't have anything to do with the story-line beside's the characters. It'll just be a little funny thing at the end. But, I really only do that for other people's fanfictions that I adore, and that's only if there are the pre-mades sprites for it. Those are always pretty cool, and the authors usually like em'.

Otherwise, screenshot's/scene art bother me, because they interuppte the whole thing- and my train of thought.

Back