• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Crossroads

blue

gucci
Years
This sounds really interesting and the art work is great, I can see this really going far and I look forward to the progress of it so good luck with this one!

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Thanks for the comments moonlighting and Suicune!

NEWS:

*Unity3D
Guys, just letting you know:
Though the thread seems to not have gotten any attention, that doesn't mean the project isn't making progress! :>

As mentioned in a post above I've had to migrate over to Unity3D from Torque2D in order to escape unstable and outdated framework.
Though I have experience throwing together 3D assets together for Unity3D in the past, I've had to take my knowledge of the engine even further over the past 3 days, with my nose in the books and my attention focused on instructional podcasts. I've got a good base understanding of how Javascript/Unityscript is structured, so now I would say i'm back where I was in Torque2D, only with far more powerful tools on hand.

As of tonight I've thrown together my dummy test zone as well as have my dummy animations imported. I still need to add in quite a few functions to my navigation scripts (my guy lacks gravity D: easy fix though), but I've got everything fleshed out.

Wanna see?!

Here's a screenshot of me looking at the test zone through the camera. The camera is going to be much closer, and more focused on the character when the final touches are added. I just haven't adjusted the camera much yet.
Spoiler:

Here's me in the editor, showing you how the scenes are put together. Neat, huh? Since I moved over to a 3D engine, i'm working in Zed space (the Z-axis) in addition to the X and Y axis I was already working with in Torque 2D engine.
Spoiler:

Here is the scene taken apart even further.
Spoiler:

These images were just taken to demonstrate how the game is structured in a 3D environment, as well as just to show you that I've been making progress despite the minor setback.
This test zone and sprite was built mainly for testing player navigation.

Lastly, i'd like to say that this test zone is a bit deceiving. If you're thinking of this game as a platformer similar to a 2D Mario game with stages, that is not the case. This game is just like any other Pokemon game, only with taller heights to be traversed. Think mountains and trees, not just platforms! :D​

Until next time guys, which may even be tomorrow. I really need to stop neglecting my homework for the sake of a hobby though...

Last edited:

~Dai-kun~

The black wind howls again...
Years
I know you said you don't require help, but would you like someone who can create music for this game?

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Thanks for your interest in wanting to help out with the project ~Dia-kun~
At the moment i'm not really looking for help, but I may need help in the future.
When I get to the point in development when I need some music i'll be sure to let you know if i'm looking for some help in that department! :)

~Dai-kun~

The black wind howls again...
Years
Btw I just noticed your characters have that "Adventure Time" style lol thats awesome :)

E-Cloud

Aspiring Trainer
Years
This is looking swimmingly-swell, I daresay. I can only imagine the work you must be putting into this. I know I could never do such a thing. Kudos!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Oh, sweet Jesus, this game concept is simply AMAZING! The whole idea of this is just...god, why can't Nintendo think of something like this? D: I absolutely love this. The animations look great so far, too. And, as everyone else said, I adore the art style, because it reminds me of Adventure Time so much. :D

I wish you tons and tons of luck with this beautifully thought-up project, and I cannot wait to see more from this!

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Thank you for all of your positive feedback Dai-Kun, E-Cloud and Eeveon! :D

I feel a bit guilty showing this idea off so early in development. I feel I should have waited until after navigation was finished, but I really needed to get feedback on the features before pushing forward. Not a lot of my close friends are into my game development fascination, nor are they fans of pokemon, so I don't have very many places to turn for feedback. x]

Over the past two days I've been busy working on a final animation project for college as well as helping with a friend's game project (I don't think they want me to spoil it ;o) so I haven't made much progress.

Next week i'm going to be showing off another concept that I really need all of your input on as it's very different from standard pokemon game play, and I don't want to make any of the players dissapointed.
I'm also going to begin work on the Pallette Town maps, which at the moment I only have the players house and the two town maps (the main town and the shore) concepts done. I might show a snapshot of that, but I mainly want to wait until I have the player animations done before any real gameplay screenshots are done.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
This looks like a fine game. I can't really say how it turns out and I'm not going to be so bold as to say that I'm sure you'll finish it, as that rarely happens. It seems like you've gone down the wise route and planned out your development of the game, and everything looks organized and proper. I have to say though, when I try to make games very organized, I'll set myself up for success by taking a long time to get everything just right to make production smooth, and just blow off the actual bulk of the development. I'm sure you won't do that, though. Good luck (:

p.s. Amazing art, as everyone else has so nicely mentioned.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 20, 2019
Dude this looks amazing :D - it's one of the most original ideas I ever saw. If you need a concept artist or GFX desinger PM me :P

moonlightning

Bird Of Thunder
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2019
Those development shots look nice, have you considered having a donate button so you can be more motivated to finish? :D

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Thanks for the comments guys!

No, I couldn't possibly accept donations. Since this is just a fan based game it would be illegal for me to accept money in order to produce this game. I definitely don't want to be sued by Nintendo, nor do I want to be ordered a C&D letter. :P

I'm already pretty motivated to finish this project without the need for money though, so no need to worry.
It's a fun hobby project to do between school and other work, and something I would really like to see done. :D

moonlightning

Bird Of Thunder
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2019
(You can send me your bank details privately then. . .)

God, your avatar gave me a freight, I'm so used to seeing the dopey one.

Anyway, how faithful do you plan on being to original red/blue/green? Will you have the rivals and gym leaders with the exact Pokemon? That sort of thing? Or will you mix it up a bit?

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
oh mother of fudge...*drools*

Everything about this project just caught my attention right away, from the sexy artwork to the interesting engine you've thought up! I'm in love! I just can't express how much I love this project. I've always wondered what a platformed traditional pokemon game would look like and here you go and think it all for me. ;)

I can't wait for the next updates!! *SUBSCRIBES!*

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Thanks for the comments you guys.

IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ

So I lied guys, i'm not entirely out of the concept phase. I've been spending a lot of time developing the battle system/pokemon stat system here lately and have finally come to a conclusion.
I would like all of your input if at all possible, because I really don't want to disappoint anybody on this move.

NEWS

*New concept added; Pokemon Rotating Stats system.
I've developed an entirely new system in hopes to abolish the level system and make this game feel more like the Pokemon anime in terms of raising and using Pokemon.
Check out the spoiler for more info:

Spoiler:

Palette Town says "Hi' by the way. It's looking very pretty. :D

Last edited:

moonlightning

Bird Of Thunder
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2019
*Insert Mindless Praise*

Seriously, I love the idea of having rotating stats, only because being able to level grind would be lame.

I hope this isn't a joke, because it would be really nice if implemented.

edogg

EXTREME mapper
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2014
I think this is what every Pokemon game needs.

Back