• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

People from 30 states threaten secession from the United States

Khawill

<3
Years
I say let em go, induct Puerto Rico as the new 50th state, watch Mexico try to annex Texas, start a new short war, end up giving part of Texas to Mexico and then have whats left of Texas take Puerto Rico's place as a US Territory.

That is a terrible idea, I'd rather drop Jersey than Texas... Like the article says Texas is a big economic factor for us and just giving it up is hardly a decent option.

Years
that is an assumption, they are not. They are doing it because they are tired of the government...

A week after the 2012 election. Which Obama and the Democrats won handily. So yes, they are.

And people, for the millionth time, the states can't secede anyways on account of their Constitutions and the terms upon which they were re admitted to the Union during Reconstruction. This means that no matter how many signatures it gets, it's null and void - has been since 1870.

Khawill

<3
Years
A week after the 2012 election. Which Obama and the Democrats won handily. So yes, they are.

And people, for the millionth time, the states can't secede anyways on account of their Constitutions and the terms upon which they were re admitted to the Union during Reconstruction. This means that no matter how many signatures it gets, it's null and void - has been since 1870.

It's still funny that these people are wasting their own time, reporters' time, the governments' time, and most importantly space that could go to more deserving souls.

Here is a question, why do you think the other political side is idiotic, corrupt, irrelevant, or tyrannical (I still have all of my freedoms from before, as a matter of fact this is probably the best state this world has been in ever. As in the history of human life. As in before this, uh century? Or 50 years, you decide.)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Well, correction - they can't peacefully secede. ;) Which of course is what they're asking for, but secession isn't an impossibility if something completely out of the blue happened and one decided to secede, since they wouldn't be respect their Constitution as part of the US anymore. Although chances are the US military would overwhelm them and they would be brought back into the fold within a year.

Edit: I was trying to source the "states can't secede because of Constitutions" and looked through Florida's and Texas' Constitutions, searching for specifically 'sece'(de, ssion) and couldn't find anything. Is it worded differently without using that, or only in some states, or...?

Last edited:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
I'm somewhat conflicted about the whole thing.

On the one hand, I consider myself a patriot. I believe in the constitution, federalism, and the character of the American people.

On the other hand, I seriously do not like the direction the country is taking. I think the character of the nation is still strong, but it's getting weaker. Both parties are reckless when it comes to financial matters, people care more about handouts and less about self-reliance, people want to silence offensive expression instead of protecting it, and don't get me started about attacks on the free exercise of religion.

It's unwise for any of the 50 states to seriously consider secession right now. However, I will not say that the day won't come within the next few decades when it would be wise. The U.S. government is not America, the American people are. If it comes to pass that the U.S. government becomes truly and irrevocably detrimental to freedom and justice, I believe it will be the duty of American patriots to seek its dissolution. If this must happen on the state level, so be it.

Now before you crucify me, let me also say that the Civil War was the single biggest mistake in American history, and it absolutely must not happen again. In order for secession to be morally justifiable, it must happen peacefully. Also, only those states who could support themselves as a country (Texas and California come to mind; others would be forced to collaborate) should bother in the first place (remember this is all hypothetical, none should try it now). In other words, even if secession ever becomes morally justifiable, it will remain mostly unfeasible and unlikely.

So no, I'm not in favor of the petitions, but I do sympathize with the general idea. I'm a patriot to the American people and the American ideal. If the U.S. government becomes an enemy to either of those, then I will be its enemy.

(And as for the recent election, I voted against the president, but I settled on my feelings about secession during the Bush years.)

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
This is actually a thing? This is actually a threat in the 21st century? Am I stuck in Gone With the Wind right now? Am I Scarlett O'Hara? I thought, as Live said, it would be impossible for said states to secede anyway due to some Constitutional law imposed upon the states when they were readmitted into America after the first time they seceded. I'm not American, so tell me if I'm ignorant in my question, but what would be the point of seceding? I'm just surprised that this is even on the table.

Long live the Confederacy, I suppose.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Can the people who support this within these respective states form a country on their own and leave us? I think that'd be in the best interest for everyone to keep these people separate from our progressive, forward thinking society.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Can the people who support this within these respective states form a country on their own and leave us? I think that'd be in the best interest for everyone to keep these people separate from our progressive, forward thinking society.

Yeah, get rid of them. I don't like these people signing the petition making it seem like they're speaking for the whole state. Because um, just so y'all know, not all of us in Alabama want to secede. Or Texas. Or Florida. Or New York. If you have a problem living here, then hell. Don't live here! Don't make the rest of us in the state suffer if this does go through. Cause if it does, I'll sure as hell be the first out the door.

Though I don't think it'll happen, for reasons already said. On the strange off chance though, u kno, I'mma be over in Europe.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018

Live, this has nothing racism, the President, or his party. The same thing would be happening had Romney and the GOP has a resounding victory

You're also only partially correct. The only states that are formally prohibited from seceding are the ones that have done so before.

Years
Live, this has nothing racism, the President, or his party. The same thing would be happening had Romney and the GOP has a resounding victory

You're also only partially correct. The only states that are formally prohibited from seceding are the ones that have done so before.

You must be joking. This wouldn't be an issue if Romney were the President. That's laughable to suggest.

And no, I was speaking about the states from the old Confederacy, specifically Texas, seeing as I mentioned Reconstruction.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
You must be joking. This wouldn't be an issue if Romney were the President. That's laughable to suggest.

Yeah.

While we have had some butthurt Democrat states in the past, I don't think that any of them, in modern times, have threatened succession because a Republican was elected President.

Anyway, the number is up to 30 now.

Last edited:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
While we have had some butthurt Democrat states in the past, I don't think that any of them have threatened succession because a Republican was elected President.
Uh, that's the plot of the Civil War. Lincoln was actually the first Republican president. Back then the Democratic party was basically the party of the south. Since then, the Democratic party has changed dramatically, while the Republican party has changed much less, hence an emphasis on traditional values and (comparatively) limited government. In general, Republicans have been intensely patriotic for a long time, and the vast majority of rank-and-file members are much less secessionist than a lot of people think. A lot of republicans I know (mostly ones with more northern heritages) are vehemently anti-secession.

Remember, everyone: we're talking about a few tens of thousands of people on the internet signing provocative petitions after a very emotionally charged election. This isn't a big deal, and there is ZERO chance that any state legislatures are going to consider secession for a long time to come. Let's all chill a bit.

EDIT:

I'm sure someone's going to say that sometime around the Civil Rights movement the parties basically traded names, but the reality was much more complicated.

Last edited:

Zet

Years
I'll continue to call him unelected until the issues of voting machines converting Romney votes into Obama votes, why workers for an Obama-supporting union were the ones who were hired to service the shady voting machines, how counties in key swing states that Obama carried had more votes cast than there are registered voters, etc. are addressed.

You can call my accusations outrageous if you'd like. They're no more outrageous than Live's unfounded accusations of racism, though.
I think you got that news backwards. It was Obama votes becoming Romney votes, there was even a youtube video showing it.

If we're discussing whether or not Obama is legitimately won, I'd say this is what would happen if Romney won:

[hd]s4VlruVG81w[/hd]
Mods, if people complain about the video, feel free to remove it.

Also voting machines are not meant to exist at all, since the companies that make them can be bribed by anyone running for President to get more votes. We are not ready for them, and I don't think we ever will be ready for them any time soon.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Yeah.

While we have had some butthurt Democrat states in the past, I don't think that any of them have threatened succession because a Republican was elected President.

Anyway, the number is up to 30 now.
But it's not the States proper threatening succession. Just people. And in the grand scheme of things, not a heck of a lot of people.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Uh, that's the plot of the Civil War. Lincoln was actually the first Republican president. Back then the Democratic party was basically the party of the south. Since then, the Democratic party has changed dramatically, while the Republican party has changed much less, hence an emphasis on traditional values and (comparatively) limited government. In general, Republicans have been intensely patriotic for a long time, and the vast majority of rank-and-file members are much less secessionist than a lot of people think. A lot of republicans I know (mostly ones with more northern heritages) are vehemently anti-secession.

Remember, everyone: we're talking about a few tens of thousands of people on the internet signing provocative petitions after a very emotionally charged election. This isn't a big deal, and there is ZERO chance that any state legislatures are going to consider secession for a long time to come. Let's all chill a bit.

EDIT:

I'm sure someone's going to say that sometime around the Civil Rights movement the parties basically traded names, but the reality was much more complicated.

I left out a few words, in modern times. And, also, they didn't threaten to succeed. They actually did.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I don't see a single state obtaining secession as the United States stands right now at least. If this is due to the election results, I doubt Colorado would do it with the 4.7% spread of results (don't quote me on it though.)

Crux

Evermore
Years
Due to the coldness towards those of us who have looked further than fox news and cnn when it comes to information regarding a multitude of the debated subjects in this thread I will go against one of my principals and throw pearls.

http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/a...to-let-obama-imprison-anyone-he-wants/249315/
http://townhall.com/columnists/rach..._reelection_through_election_fraud/page/full/
http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2012/10/tsa-hires-accused-child-molester-without-background-check/
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...round-States-Switching-Romney-Votes-For-Obama

Here is but a few links for some of the information that you so vehemently revoke.

Livewire I would like to bring you attention towards the tonallity of your posts,it could easily be said that you are making unsavoury accusations.

Years
Due to the coldness towards those of us who have looked further than fox news and cnn when it comes to information regarding a multitude of the debated subjects in this thread I will go against one of my principals and throw pearls.

http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/a...to-let-obama-imprison-anyone-he-wants/249315/
http://townhall.com/columnists/rach..._reelection_through_election_fraud/page/full/
http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2012/10/tsa-hires-accused-child-molester-without-background-check/
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...round-States-Switching-Romney-Votes-For-Obama

Here is but a few links for some of the information that you so vehemently revoke.

Livewire I would like to bring you attention towards the tonallity of your posts,it could easily be said that you are making unsavoury accusations.
I find it funny that you think you can order me what to do. The only unsavory accusations here are ones being made by you and a few others.

On top of that, I don't see anything relevant to the Secession discussion in those links. Just more baseless Obama hate from pundits like Breitbart.

Khawill

<3
Years
Politics suck, it makes people so mean and unhappy. We should have an anarchy, that way people have nothing to be angry about, (and maybe see how evil humans can be)

Back