• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Backing Up Your Data

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
After backing up some of my data from my PC, I'm thinking of this...

Did you backing up your data from your PC or Laptop? If yes, I wonder how often, and why would you backing up your data?

Years
A good chunk of my files are stored away on multiple external flash drives, but it's been quite a while since I've actually backed up my data (like, at least a year and a half). Considering how old my computer is, I should really do this a lot more often, because there will come a day where it'll be too late to do it, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's sooner rather than later.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
I have a 1 TB hard drive that I bought for about $70 that I use to back up everything important that I have.

I also created a small software that can easily back up files for you. I put it in the ROM Hacking Forum, but it's good for anything.

MinRCS

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
I have a 2 TB drive and I back up my stuff about once a month. Does anyone have a good recommendation for backup software? The one that came with my drive was terrible, so terrible that I had to uninstall it. Normally I just copy/paste over all my files as a data back up and then make a mirror image backup in case I ever need a full OS restore.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I backup every time I install something on my computer, and once a week if I haven't installed anything. Usually Sundays are my backup days. It's very important to do so!

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I never back up. You'd think after losing my data 10+ times I'd learn, but I haven't yet lol

>>

Years
Everything I want/need to back up is on some kind of cloud service. It's a bit easier to access versus a hard drive I might forget about some time into the future, and it also allows me to look at those files constantly versus shoving them into a metaphorical corner.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
Backing up your data is really, really important. I tend to save all of my documents locally, then copy it to my external hard drive.

Every so often I'll look at the stuff that's on the external and delete anything I don't need or want. I don't have THAT much data, but if I did lose my stuff I'd be devastated. :P

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
No. There's very little on my drive that is simultaneously both unrecoverable through some other means and of vital importance to me.

If I was going to recommend a backup solution to someone else, it would vary based on their needs. A RAID-1 configuration should be more than sufficient for any consumer, plus it can speed up IO by roughly a multiple of how many drives are in the array. Someone running a server of some sort might be better served by a RAID 5 configuration, which would increase uptime in case of a failure. A developer might want to have a more traditional backup solution, in case something important gets deleted or overwritten.

For medium or large businesses, you want the best of all worlds. RAID 5 or 6 (depending on whether performance or fault tolerance is more important) as well as weekly offline backups stored offsite.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
i have never backed up my computer. and i have never lost any data. ever. its kind of funny actually.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I never really backed up any data. I just save some important stuff into thumbdrives and that's all.

I find no need to backup everything.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
No. There's very little on my drive that is simultaneously both unrecoverable through some other means and of vital importance to me.

If I was going to recommend a backup solution to someone else, it would vary based on their needs. A RAID-1 configuration should be more than sufficient for any consumer, plus it can speed up IO by roughly a multiple of how many drives are in the array. Someone running a server of some sort might be better served by a RAID 5 configuration, which would increase uptime in case of a failure. A developer might want to have a more traditional backup solution, in case something important gets deleted or overwritten.

For medium or large businesses, you want the best of all worlds. RAID 5 or 6 (depending on whether performance or fault tolerance is more important) as well as weekly offline backups stored offsite.

And since the average user probably won't understand this post let alone know how to set up a RAID (which I learned about in college ^ ^), I'll drop a link so the curious can read up. ^ ^ http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

I'd go with RAID 1 (Mirroring) myself. It's the easier method for a home user. Most of the RAID methods are for businesses/servers .

Like others I've never had a HDD failure since I upgrade every 4 years. I still have data from over 10 years ago as well. xD

But what about software? No one ever seems to recommend good back up software. :( The Windows 7 proved unreliable for me as well as Western Digital's "Smartware". Still looking for recommendations please!

Last edited:
Years
...y'all reminded me to back up my data. I should do that today or sometime overnight into tomorrow.

Anyways, I had a thread about file backups a while back, but it expired so now there's this thread. :P

As I said in the old thread, I generally perform my routine backups on valuable files such as documents, videos, photos, and music every 3-6 months, or a grand backup of a computer before I reformat it that way I don't get emotional and upset with losing a file I really needed. :3c

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I don't backup too often, mainly because in the moment I'm not doing too much stuff, that needs to be backuped. What I should consider doing is backing up a list of installed packages on my Linux system. Last time I had some trouble with some update made me almost reinstall my whole system. In the end I brought everything back to normal.

About RAID: RAID is not a backup solution. It's used either for data mirroring (faster access), or file restoration (if one of your harddrives gets corrupted), or both. A backup is completely independend and is used when your complete system gets corrupted.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
Years
I never used to back up my stuff and never had a reason to but I bought an external hard drive and backed up everything on my laptop to my hard drive just so I can say I use it.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
It's always a good idea to back up. Your computer could experience critical errors of such severity that you need to format and reinstall your OS.

Such an event happened to me only a couple of days ago when I was forced to reinstall Windows 8 due to CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED errors preventing me from getting past the boot screen...

I've got a Western Digital MyPassport 500GB external hard drive where I store important files, and it's proved invaluable in the recuperation of my computer.

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
f you're someone who uses a computer for anything in your day-to-day life, you need data backup software. This software can ensure that your most important data remains after any sort of failure within your computer. We have many things on our computers that we have put a lot of time and effort into. Sure, we could go back and do it again, but it's hard to get the feeling back from the moment you wrote the perfect song. None of us could remember everything we wrote down, so the best parts of what we created get lost forever.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I don't regularly backup my data, unfortunately, but I do have it on Dropbox and I have redundancy all over the place. Idk, if it's really important (like photos and the like), I have them on Dropbox so I'll have them in the cloud. :)

Back