• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

H20 ~ The Science Club

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
154CDD464F8B33AE257ADE

Welcome to the Science club!

If you like Science as a school subject, or as a general topic, or perhaps you aren't 'in love' with science, and would just like to learn more about it, then this club is for you!

In this club, we talk about a wide range of science related topics - from Chemistry, to Biology, to Environmental, and so on. We'll also talk about new scientific discoveries, as well as theories, science-related news, scientific marvels, and hey - we can even help you with science class! Not to mention.. scientific jokes. So basically, all science-related topics are discussed here. (:​

Rules and Guidelines

All PC rules apply. You're not banned, so that's a good sign that you've been following the rules, yeah? If you are not sure on these rules, they are listed right here (click!)

Be polite. There's a person with feelings on the other side of the screen. Speculation in particular is a subject that may raise arguments, which is completely fine, as long as nobody crosses the line.

Stay on topic. Only create new topics when the situation is fitting; completely ignoring an active, ongoing topic may and probably will come off as impolite. Not to say that we can't have several topics going on at the same time.

No trolling other club members – this is meant to be a fun group, after all.

All that being said, if you have any questions about this club, PM or VM me!​

How to Sign up?

It's easy; all you have to do is jump in and discuss. (: No sign-ups are required.

Member List

A

B

C
CarefulWetPaint

D
droomph

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M
Miss Doronjo

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

Starter-Up Topics

• How well do you like the fields of science?
  • What is your favorite branch of science? (i.e. Chemistry, Biology)
  • What was your most recent science-related subject?

Last edited:

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
LET ME IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I demand acceptance to the brains trust!

How well do I like them? I love them! Except biology subjects, not the biggest fan of that one at all. Science is one of my favourite things. Just like diamonds are for females.

My favourite branch of science would have to be Physics, its just so interesting and so many cool things can happen in it! Time travel and space stuff is awesome!

Well... Physics and Chemistry were the last I did at school and I havent really done any since then but when I head to uni Im pretty sure Ill be at least studying Physics.

Has there been anything interesting in the science news since the Higgs Boson?

droomph

weeb
Years
Hiiiiiii

I love science! I don't love some subjects as much, but they're all very interesting to learn about.

I love chemistry the most though, for some odd reason.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
LET ME IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I demand acceptance to the brains trust!

How well do I like them? I love them! Except biology subjects, not the biggest fan of that one at all. Science is one of my favourite things. Just like diamonds are for females.

My favourite branch of science would have to be Physics, its just so interesting and so many cool things can happen in it! Time travel and space stuff is awesome!

Well... Physics and Chemistry were the last I did at school and I havent really done any since then but when I head to uni Im pretty sure Ill be at least studying Physics.

Has there been anything interesting in the science news since the Higgs Boson?

Aw, you don't like Biology? </3 I did a Advanced Biology course in my High school. I wasn't an honor student (cause' I was called a normie) but I find it fascinating~ I thiiiink my favourite part was learning about the circulatory and vascular system - we did a model project on each of em~ (I made a lung that was made out of jello :3)

I could of majored in Physics, buuut Social Work was more of my calling at the time~ Maybe one day I'll go back and study Chemical engineering. ;w;

As for news, not that I know of that's 'big'. I read an article that reads that they are studying deadly breast cancer cells that share genetic features with ovarian tumors, but not much else. You can read about it here if interested: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120923145106.htm

(and yeah I basically said the title, but... that's the jist of what the article is about xD)

Hiiiiiii

I love science! I don't love some subjects as much, but they're all very interesting to learn about.

I love chemistry the most though, for some odd reason.

I love chem too; in grade 11 chem, I had lab work with proteins, lipids, and types of carbohydrates. *____* Well, that's what I also had to do in Biology in Grade 12. (hah, remember the periodic table song? :3)

Last edited:

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I am here to kick up some discussion! Heres a news topic!

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/10/03/3602779.htm

This is making it very interesting! Now calculations can be done for speeds over the speed of light. Einsteins theory's really were extremely amazing and helpful arent they! What does this mean for us now that calculations can be done for speeds faster then the speed of light?

droomph

weeb
Years
Hm...

Speaking of...what is a proof that something out of this atmosphere exists?

I don't think that there isn't space, but the more I think of it, I can't think of a reason to prove or otherwise.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Yo! Certified Zoologist here.

Biologists are the best scientists let's face it ;) and I'm training to be a science teachers - so I must like it quite a bit. Sign me up!

Tranca

Monolith
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2013
I love science, I have studied astronomy in college. I would like to be signed up.

Years
Hm...

Speaking of...what is a proof that something out of this atmosphere exists?

I don't think that there isn't space, but the more I think of it, I can't think of a reason to prove or otherwise.
The light and heat of the sun? The gravitational effects of the moon on the tides? The fact that as high as we go while still in the atmosphere we still don't touch the moon or sun?

Actually, isn't there some kind of mathematical way of showing how far something away is by measuring is simultaneously from two different points?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Welcome everyone~ I'll add those who want in in a second.

I do have a question for you all though:

Do you think science can tie into culture? Why or why not?

For a specific example... environmental science; can it tie into different forms of culture that deals with animals, and forests?

Years
Joining :3

I do have a question for you all though:

Do you think science can tie into culture? Why or why not?

For a specific example... environmental science; can it tie into different forms of culture that deals with animals, and forests?

I don't see why not, I mean we're entering an era where science is beginning to dominate.
I'm sure that we can define the science communities as cultural because everything we do has some form of technology involved. We look back at ancient civilisations and say "Their culture was richly involved with deities" And future civilisations may travel back to Earth to scour the remains of our destroyed world and say "Their culture was richly involved in scientific discovery which unfortunately led to the destruction of their home"

The light and heat of the sun? The gravitational effects of the moon on the tides? The fact that as high as we go while still in the atmosphere we still don't touch the moon or sun?

Actually, isn't there some kind of mathematical way of showing how far something away is by measuring is simultaneously from two different points?

Yes, it's basic trigonometry.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I can join this. I'm in the process of writing a paper on gene cloning and protein expression at the moment. Don't know much about maths or physics xD But chemistry and small biology is my thang. Science rules, I guess.

As for science / culture, I'm not completely sure I understand the question :3 But science is part of our culture nowadays, isn't it? Still a lot of people think of science as something high and strange though. It's not part of every person's everyday life yet, at least not consciously.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2012
I LOVE SCIENCE!
I am so going to be in this.
I'm currently a student of biology at my university and love all areas. I've had, as far as high school goes, two classes of biology, chemistry and physics as well as a course on geology, marine ecology, environmental biology, and three geography courses. In uni I've had
2 courses of physical geology
2 courses of cell & molecular biology
1 course of vertibrate zoology and 1 course of invertibrate zoology
2 courses of environmental biology
2 courses of botany
1 course of anatomy
2 courses of biochemistry
2 courses of organic chemistry and 1 course of inorganic chemistry
1 course on molecular physics
1 course on optics
2 courses on astronomy
2 courses on public health
2 courses on psychology

I guess you can say I'm fairly educated in the sciences. I absolutely love environmental biology and ecology.

Thank you so much for making this club.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Whoa, astronomy? I'd like to study that, but I'm in the completely wrong place to find decent courses on it. I'll just watch some space youtube videos and sit in awe xD

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2012
Yeah, at my college they have an astronomy course in the geology department and another in the physics department. They're working on a third course in it, but I'm not too fond of waiting for it. It's very fascinating.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Hi! I love Science! Can I join? :D

My favourite field of science is Biology, and so was my most recent science-related subject. I don't really like Chemistry though. Too many calculations. Haha~

I've been a science student almost all my life, so science has been quite a huge part of my interests. (Not to mention I also have other interests outside of science, but that's out of topic.) I have thought about doing a Biology-related course, but I can't really stomach dissecting of animals etc...so that doesn't seem to be my path..? :/

Anyways, hope I'll have a great time at this club. I might not be too active, but hope to make some new science buddies here. :P

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Haha, Chemistry is my thing! <3 I could never dissect an animal either xD But next week we have to take chicken hearts or something and make small strips of it. Then we're supposed to bathe them in chemicals and see what happens to the tissue. Really crazy experiment xD But I guess it might help us understand.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Haha, Chemistry is my thing! <3 I could never dissect an animal either xD But next week we have to take chicken hearts or something and make small strips of it. Then we're supposed to bathe them in chemicals and see what happens to the tissue. Really crazy experiment xD But I guess it might help us understand.

Urkk..just reading about slicing up chickens' hearts give me the creeps..>< I think if it wasn't I who had to cut or dissect animals though, I'll be fine with it. Hmm..I would like to know what happens to the hearts in the chemicals though. Seems interesting. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Haha. I think it sounds gross even though I'll actually let a friend do the cutting ^^' But it'll be interesting, yeah. A change from growing bacteria, cloning DNA and synthesizing colorful substances.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Oo, I'm ashamed I didn't notice this thread before! Okay so here's a joke for acceptance into the club:

Argon walks into a bar. The bartender shakes his head and says "Sorry, we don't serve noble gasses."
Argon doesn't react.

I'm sure you've all heard it before but I love it anyway haha. Anyway, on to discussion!

Personally, I love Chemistry above the other sciences. I find the way that everything interacts to be absolutely fascinating and the potential uses of this understand are infinite; this is why I choose to study Chemistry and degree level. I'd say it's certainly not the easiest of scientific fields to understand, but in my opinion it's one of the most fulfilling as it gives an understanding of everything that exists in the world and how it can exist as it does. I know that this is then further explained by Physics, but that's usually way over my head haha. I also love Biology and Ecology is a field that I've always been really passionate about going into, but unfortunately I made that decision too late when it came to applying for a university course.

With the dissections talk going on at the moment, I agree, I certainly wouldn't want to dissect something either. The thought of cutting into that poor animal's flesh is... ick. But I would do it if I had to for my research since in my mind it's more important to progress with science than it is to squirm other something gross. xD

Back