• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Dream World and Outside the Games

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
One of the biggest features that was introduced to us last generation was the Dream World. You could explore it to find hidden items, find Pokémon with alternate abilities, and the only ways to obtain berries without transferring them from previous games. It integrated using Pokémon's website into the games directly for the first time, allowing them to explore certain ares to find certain Pokémon, as well as giving mini-games that would allow the player to encounter a Pokémon depending on how well they played the game.

Sort of similar to this concept was the Pokéwalker, which allowed you to take steps and level up your Pokémon. You could also encouter wild Pokémon to capture depending on which course you were walking on, and then send it back to your game if you so chose to do so.

The question here is, would you like to see the Dream World make a return for X and Y? Are there any specific features you would definitely bring back, or anything you could live without? How about other things that can affect your game that you aren't doing directly in it? Would you like another feature on the Pokémon website to play around with to earn rewards?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
To be honest, I really didn't like the dream world in Generation V. First of all, you'd only get an hour to do everything you need. Secondly, there was no sure way that you would get the pokemon that you want, since it looked as though some pokemon were rarer than others. Even then, I'd found the minigames to be quite tedious because, well, they were the same ones every time. :x

So, if the Dream World ever comes to Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, I really hope that they make some changes. That, and I really hope that the dependency for it becomes lower.

Because, you know what -- I really don't like the fact that you'd have to be so dependent on the dream world, along side other things to get the dream world pokemon you'd want, only to be bombarded with a lot of annoying stuff! Well, eh, if there was an actual reason to visit the dream world, I would like the Dream World to at least have more exclusive items and berries that you can only get from there, as an incentive for us to actually visit the dream world. Or just more exclusives in general.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I really liked the concept of the Dream World and having a feature outside the games that allowed you to find new Pokémon and transfer them over. I just think the minigames and the time constraints were terrible ideas. The hour limit wasn't enough time to do well enough with the mini-games half the time to be able to find something rare, plus the games were so monotonous that I really have no urge to ever play them.

I'd have no problem with them bringing the Dream World back, as I thought it was a great innovation into the games. I think it just needs a tweak to how certain aspects of it work to make the experience more enjoyable.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2014
No. I want something different. Like an AR World. A standalone app for the 3Ds (or smartphones and tablets) to let you find items and Pokemon in the REAL world. Like the Geomon iOS app. I don't want to be stuck on the computer doing it.

I'd have no problem with them bringing the Dream World back, as I thought it was a great innovation into the games. I think it just needs a tweak to how certain aspects of it work to make the experience more enjoyable.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Having an app would actually be an interesting concept. I'd still keep the same kind of integrity of the Dream World more than likely, but without the limitations of being forced to sit at a computer to do it. As far as what else the app could do, maybe some potential things would be the ability to have a Pokéwalker again, maybe something more for data purposes, or if you find something out there that you could potentially scan like a QR code that could unlock something small for you, like items or a Pokémon (nothing crazy though)?

Thingula

How do you change this text?
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2014
Having an app would actually be an interesting concept. I'd still keep the same kind of integrity of the Dream World more than likely, but without the limitations of being forced to sit at a computer to do it. As far as what else the app could do, maybe some potential things would be the ability to have a Pokéwalker again, maybe something more for data purposes, or if you find something out there that you could potentially scan like a QR code that could unlock something small for you, like items or a Pokémon (nothing crazy though)?

Haha that reminds me of those old barcode scanner games :p You scan the codes to get certain monsters. I had one when I was little.

Edit: The eCard Reader was a little like that, so I guess it might not be too Farfetch'd.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I want the Dream World but only if it's easier to access...

I'd rather just uh, get the Dream World abilities in-game really :x I don't honestly care about other things the website can do really...

Years
I prefer to have everything in one game and none of this external world of minigames. The Pokewalker was okay because I could take it with me anywhere and everywhere. If the dream world returns, which I hope it doesn't, I'd want it to be built into the actual cartridge. In my mind they may as well just make Pokemon like a facebook game or whatever if they're going to keep external aspects of the games.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I prefer to have everything in one game and none of this external world of minigames. The Pokewalker was okay because I could take it with me anywhere and everywhere. If the dream world returns, which I hope it doesn't, I'd want it to be built into the actual cartridge. In my mind they may as well just make Pokemon like a facebook game or whatever if they're going to keep external aspects of the games.

ahaha facebook :( but the dream world in-game would be better than an app imo. I mean exploring an extra area would be so awesome and if it was what entralink was but all in one I'd like it!

Guy

just a guy
Years
I have yet to actually even use the Dream World. It's not that I have a slow internet connection or anything like that, it's just that I prefer everything to be available within the game itself, especially big things like what the Dream World offers. I had the idea of them using a location like Mirage Island to replace Dream World in X/Y and have that as a special area to find Pokémon with their hidden abilities. Also, I'd rather be able to play and grow berries around the region than have to do it through Dream World. I guess my biggest issue with Dream World is how disconnected it is from the game itself. So, I'd prefer the Dream World remain exclusive to just Gen V.

Sirfetch’d

I would love to see Dream World back, however I do think it needs improvements. As stated earlier the time limit needs to be longer. One hour is just simply not enough especially considering the time it takes to play through the minigames. Also the one visit per day is kind of low, so maybe make it unlimited or at least let you visit it more than once. As for the variety of Pokemon, it was pretty good last gen, but I would still like to see a greater selection of Pokemon with the addition of some of the rarer Pokemon who have yet to have their hidden ability released.

*700th Post Wooo!

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I liked the Dream World. I cant see them just abandoning it, I think they may rework it for Gen 6 and leave the Gen 5 servers running as well. They put a lot of effort into it, do regular maintanence,add new areas every so often, etc.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I liked the Dream World. I cant see them just abandoning it, I think they may rework it for Gen 6 and leave the Gen 5 servers running as well. They put a lot of effort into it, do regular maintanence,add new areas every so often, etc.
They don't have to abandon it, but it wouldn't be the first time GameFreak introduces a new feature one generation only to remove it the next. They could easily still keep it running and updates for Gen V while using something entirely new and more advanced for Gen VI.

I personally, don't want Dream World to have any ties to Gen VI simply because I find it's too disconnected from the games and limited or restricted to some players. If it does, then I hope it's to a lesser extent than in Gen V.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I have to agree. It was kind of obnoxious how much effort it actually took to get anything useful out of the Dream World. I like Nica's idea honestly, just give us the Dream World abilities in the the main games.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I personally, don't want Dream World to have any ties to Gen VI simply because I find it's too disconnected from the games and limited or restricted to some players. If it does, then I hope it's to a lesser extent than in Gen V.

Also, it would seem less like a Generation 5 special feature if they were to include it in these games too :(

Years
While I personally have had no problems with the Dream World considering how casual of a player I am to start with (No hunting for the perfect mon with the perfect ability here!) I do agree that something a little more personal would be nice. The 3Ds has all the fittings of the Pokewalker device as it has both a step counter and Ir. I really liked Dream Rader over the Dream World, and I prefer the Pokewalker over either.

I would like to see a free or small charge app that would allow you to get the Pokewalker experience with maybe some of the dream world and radar add ons like berry farming, AR Pokemon Hunting and Poke-Doll Collecting. (I would however be slightly upset if Nintendo bogs it all down by making it a play coin feature, which would be...likely.) Maybe even release little AR Card packs! Idk, there can be alot of cool little possibilities.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
They don't have to abandon it, but it wouldn't be the first time GameFreak introduces a new feature one generation only to remove it the next. They could easily still keep it running and updates for Gen V while using something entirely new and more advanced for Gen VI.

The bold I definitely agree with. I used to be very active but after a while it just seemed to slip out of my mind more due to the time constraints and how disconnected from the main game it is.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Dream World (or such) - It's Evaluation Time!

Since this was apparently off-topic where I put it before, I thought I'd bring it up in its own thread; it kinda does deserve its own discussion.

In B/W/B2/W2, the Dream World was created; this, as you no doubt know (unless you're green to the series and this is your first round), is a PC-based world that you enter by putting your Pokémon to sleep, and then moving to the PC for an hour or however long you choose to hang around to play within that time period.

When B2/W2 came out, the DW got a revamp, going so far as to add Pokémon that could not be found in the B/W DW, but also keeping some Pokémon exclusive to the B/W DW. While Generation VI is going to come to pass, I am sure it would be absolutely silly to try to "turn off" the DW and make it no more good - at least for a few years. This makes me think they're going to continue to use the "PC-based" mechanic - even if not the DW, but some genetics-based thing involving an alternate dimension - that will be home to the alternate-nature versions of the newest Pokémon and even more Pokémon not currently found in the B/W/B2W2 DW.

So let's discuss what you think they'll do with their PC-based addition to the Pokémon world. How will the Dream World be expanded/redone for Generation VI?

Cyclone

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Please, for the love of everything, ditch it. It was silly to make Berries a Dream World exclusive item, and playing the god awful minigames over and over again to try to unlock Pokémon was just so boring. It was definitely my least favorite thing about the fifth generation as a whole, and I would give anything not to have it return this generation. There are so many better ways to introduce hidden abilities, and having Berries just grow in the games naturally again would just be fantastic. Having to rely on the website to get something that was easily accessible until then was just jasodfijaosidjf WHY?

Guy

just a guy
Years
It's hanging on by a thread, but the last Dream World thread still lives. So I'm just going to merge the two and let the discussion continue.

Back