• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Harvest Moon Tool Kit (HMTK)

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I have an idea for the messaging thing... I was actually looking into it for my game, but I don't see why I don't throw it your way for an idea.

Maybe you could do a system that eventid[x] get's it's name like Jill and makes that text colour grey (or whatever):
__
|Jill\

Kind of how that looks! So the message box has it's text in what ever colour you specify, green, blue, pink whatever you've made I guess, but the Event name that is speaking has it's own little tab with the eventid name, which would be your greys, blacks and whites, depending on the graphic I guess... Or whatever you think haha! just an idea, you don't need it of course.

Obviously, I'm hoping you get the idea with that picture, because using underscores and slashes, is not the easiest thing to make a picture haha
I think I kind of get what you're saying. The basic idea is that text color depends on the events name. What would probably be more intuitive (since you might not want 10 different "Jills" in your game) is to use a tag in the event name. It's something I've done before. So for instance, you name your event whatever you want, then add [Green] or [Purple] to the name and all text from that event is colored as such. Perhaps even something like [Boy] and [Girl] for simple gender-based text. Ah, and I could also do [Speed=2] to let you set the text speed for specific events (instead of having to change and then revert it for that one event). For things like old people that talk slower or whatever you can think of to use it for. Oh, and [Boy] [Girl] could also determine the pitch of the message beep (the pitch is lower when a boy it talking, and higher when a girl is talking). Anyone have any comments on this? I'll probably add it in after the next release.

Years
Is there gonna be a way to put the character's likes and dislikes, and the use of their profile picture? And, maybe use of a background like when you talked to a character in HMDS? :)

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Is there gonna be a way to put the character's likes and dislikes, and the use of their profile picture? And, maybe use of a background like when you talked to a character in HMDS? :)
I'll only add in backgrounds when talking to characters if dual screens are implemented (I won't be doing dual screens though, so that will have to be handled by someone else. Should be pretty easy though). The other two things were there since the first release (actually a couple months before that even). When talking to a villager, a face graphic will show up that corresponds to their face (if one with their name exists). They also have likes and dislikes in terms of items, but it only affects text. It will be easy to make it affect face graphics and affection too though. And it's slightly buggy in that it only reads item ids, and items of different kinds can have the same id (weeds have id 0, and so do small chicken eggs, for example). This means that if they dislike an item with id 0, they will dislike every item with id 0. I'll probably change it to support item names instead.

Also, be on the lookout for the new release within the next couple hours (it was going to be out last night, but I kept finding more things to do to it). There have been significant changes to it, which will be listed when I post it here.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Version 2.0 has been released. The download link in the first post has been updated.

Here's a quick overview of what's been done:
Code:
-databox slightly updated
-scrollbar added to databox (to allow future expansion of elements without making it bigger) 
-databox is now an object with it's own script section
-weather effects for snow and cloudiness added (rain was already done)
-player can't go outside in hurricanes or blizzards (via simple event)
-minor map updates, maps added
-some unused graphic files removed
-catching a junk item (i.e. empty can) while fishing no longer crashes the game
-script sections were slightly cleaned up and organized
-notes in various script sections haved been marked with a #note: tag for convenience
-cleaned up some junk code
-some debug methods added
-tools reworked a bit, and are treated more like regular items by the rucksack.
-minor code optimizations
-added debug events to spawn animals in barn and coop (only in debug mode)
-made some corrections to Game_Player
-controls updated
-items can now be equipped and unequipped (between your hands and the rucksack)
-player updates correctly when running/stops running
-Some animations added and implemented
-message system much more functional. most bugs fixed.
-message system is now letter by letter with beep effect (beep can be disabled in Settings)
-$time.delay added (like $time.pause, but game updates while action is delayed)
-Player's gold is displayed with the stamina bar (like in HM:Animal Parade)
-Name input interface working
-Weather types now play a bgs
-rain effects changed
-support for clearing $game_system.playing_bgs added (use $game_system.bgs_stop instead of Audio.bgs_stop or the bgs will still be stored, though silent)
-animals mostly work (Horses need some additional work before they're finished, and aging isn't implemented yet)
-cows can be milked
-sheep can be shorn
-chickens lay eggs (there's a minor related bug)
-animals can be brushed (except chickens) and interacted with as expected
-some additions made to the Settings script section
-villagers moved into the town, instead of sitting on the farm
-some Pokemon OWs temporarily added as placeholders, until charsets are ripped and put together (a sheep will need to be ripped from the GBC version and upgraded a little if someone wants to do that)
-lumber can be put back in the lumber box now
-standard infobox added. displays time, date, weather, and equipped tool
-animals can be fed (they should get sick otherwise and not produce anything)
-item switching menu added (similar to HM: Magical Melody), but disabled until finished.
-item switching has been improved (separately from the disabled menu). Just press "S" to switch items any time
As you can see, I've been a busy bee. Enjoy!

With all these changes, a few things are bound to have gone amiss. If you run across any bugs or oddities, remember to post them here.

Years
Hey, do the hearts show up yet? :P I tried talking to Ann, then Elli

Some things I noticed: Picking up a chicken often gives me an error.

Last edited:

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Hey, do the hearts show up yet? :P I tried talking to Ann, then Elli

Some things I noticed: Picking up a chicken often gives me an error.
The hearts haven't been implemented just yet. Most of the stuff needed in the back end is there to add it though. It will be in the next maintenance release.

I just fixed the error with the chicken (I ended up changing items/tools quite a bit after implementing animals, and since the chicken is an item when you hold it, the changes messed it up), and have updated the download link in the first post.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Oh, and if I try to buy some of the tools from the tool shop, I'll get an error there, too.
Not surprising. I haven't touched the Tool Shop map in months. The events call old methods I was using to add tools (which have been removed), so it throws an error. It isn't needed though, as the toolbox by the player's house gives you a bunch of tools to mess with (including the brush, milker, and shears, which can also be bought in the animal shop and do work correctly).

I'm planning to get things really tightened up in the next release (tools, animals, the tool switching menu from HM:MM [already done], shops, villagers [affection, marriage, more villagers added, etc], and mining). As it is though, most of what everyone needs to make games with it is already there. Fixing a few missing pieces will more or less take care of the important stuff. I will probably start a tutorial and take some screenshots (and maybe even a video demo if I feel like it) to go more in-depth on the features and explain how to use the tool kit.

Years
That'd be awesome (for me anyways). I'm not the most game smart person, I'm more of an artistic guy :P

EdiT: I don't know if the snow is working properly, I sped in to Winter, and I kept getting rain. Haha

Last edited:

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
That'd be awesome (for me anyways). I'm not the most game smart person, I'm more of an artistic guy :P

EdiT: I don't know if the snow is working properly, I sped in to Winter, and I kept getting rain. Haha
Thanks for finding that one. Seasons used to be 1-4, but I made it 0-based recently for simplicity and forgot to change the numbers where weathers are generated. Fixed now. Also, just so everyone knows, if you dig around a bit there are some debug methods here and there to make testing things easier. I really need to go add a debug tag to them (some have it, some don't), but they are there. In your case, instead of speeding to winter you could have actually interacted with the four signs by your house (or in the mountain). They each correspond to a season, and immediately change the season so you can test things things out easier (which is exactly why they were added). They don't adjust the weather properly yet though (if you select the winter sign while it's raining, it will still be raining). Hopefully I can get that tutorial ready soon to address things like that.

Years
Once the day/night system is implemented, it'd be pretty cool to see the lighting of the windows go on :)

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Once the day/night system is implemented, it'd be pretty cool to see the lighting of the windows go on :)
I think that would be pretty cool too. Since someone else already asked me for help with a better day/night system, I've been working some of these things out in my head and will probably end up killing two birds with one stone. It's in the works.

Also, brief update (but important enough to me that I felt I should announce it): the current system for saving tile data on the farm map (i.e. when you dig with the hoe or plant stuff, the tiles don't change back) works just fine and all, but you've probably noticed that the stuff in your field is actually gone and quickly pops back on screen after a second when entering the map each time. This always annoyed me a little, but I finally discovered how to fix it. I tried a couple months ago, failed, and it turns out I was close. So, I will be fixing the tile data switching in the next release to make loading maps significantly smoother. Also, I will be doing it so that it applies to every map in the game by storing the spritesets in an array. What this means is that making visual changes to any map should be smoother. This mostly applies to the player's house, where they will need to be able to decorate the house with different furniture (something that's already been started). And of course, you developers can make use of it as well for more dynamic mapping. So, look forward to the nominal boost in quality. It's probably a 10x bigger deal to me because of the headaches it gave me before, but it will really make it look more professional.

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
A couple things I seen wrong at the moment, don't know if you know:

When buying something on Map:Tool Shop, the noise for each letter appearing, keeps playing during the yes or no phase.

The character left to this shop, when walking down changes sprite.

When picking up items, they become normal in snowey weather when they should'nt, right?

I like the seasons thing though, especially the tile changes :D
Useing Pokémon for the chickens and stuff, that's funny, I threw a Torchic around coz he annoys me haha... He still loves me though!

I just errored out buying a hoe, oops! (geez that sounds naughty)

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
A couple things I seen wrong at the moment, don't know if you know:

When buying something on Map:Tool Shop, the noise for each letter appearing, keeps playing during the yes or no phase.

The character left to this shop, when walking down changes sprite.

When picking up items, they become normal in snowey weather when they should'nt, right?

I like the seasons thing though, especially the tile changes :D
Useing Pokémon for the chickens and stuff, that's funny, I threw a Torchic around coz he annoys me haha... He still loves me though!

I just errored out buying a hoe, oops! (geez that sounds naughty)
I didn't notice that first one, since 90% of the time I have stuff muted. Especially since the message beep was like violent ear rape (the one in the actual games usually has a lower pitch and is more tolerable). I'll get right on that (I think I know the problem already).

The sprite of that character changes because I only ripped a few frames. I found it's a pain to rip their sprites since they're terribly slow and never take more than one step at a time. Some don't move at all. So yeah, if anyone has some charsets, please share them.

The items probably should reflect the season when you hold them, but again I need more graphics for that. I've done plenty of sprite modding on the fly and ripping stuff as I go, but it's a bit of a hassle. So once I have some images, I'll get on that (but only for normal outdoor items, like rocks, sticks, and foraging items. others should remain unaffected).

And the error you got was from the tool shop. I think I mentioned that it uses old method calls that don't work anymore. Ignore it, since all the tools you need are in the toolbox by your house. Oh, and notice that if you want, you can place your chickens outside (I think you can put them on any map) and they'll stay there. Very slick, if I may say so myself.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Ah okay, you do know I can help you if you ask ;)

ellenp.png

This fixes that waman! She can now walk ;)

If you need anything just drop me a line haha!

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Ah okay, you do know I can help you if you ask ;)

ellenp.png

This fixes that waman! She can now walk ;)

If you need anything just drop me a line haha!
Thanks for that. It came from the sheet on The Spriters Resource right? I had started turning the sheet into charsets, until I found that several were missing some frames. So no more gender changing every time she moves now.

Also, progress report: I'm working a lot more on graphical interfaces for stuff now, and polishing things up where I find the need. The next release will be a bit larger than the others, so it will take a bit longer than normal to get it all ready. I'm also trying to simplify some code to make things easier to understand and edit, and planning a tutorial to release at the same time. Be sure to make whatever suggestions you feel like so I can get on it for this release. I'm also considering change the graphical style to something a little more recent. If you have a preference, name it (some rips to go along with it would be great too. I'd like a complete set of graphics before making any graphic changes so it's not such a patch job).

-------------------------
HMTK Basic Tutorial

I decided to write up a quick and dirty tutorial on some of the basics of the project, so that those of you who are confused as to how it works or are just unfamiliar with Harvest Moon in general can get a better idea of what this project is all about. It's a little wordy (when am I not?), but it will walk you through step by step what you can do in the project so far.

First, the controls:

W - store item in rucksack
A - equip first available item from rucksack
S - switch equipped item (temporarily eliminates the need for the A key)
D - use an equipped tool
X - Press to cancel / Hold to run
C - confirm choices or interact with things

Getting Started:

Once you've clicked Playtest and got the project running, there's a number of things you can do.

-Go outside and check out the farm. You'll see a toolbox outside your house. Open it (It won't be in the next release).

-Now that you have some tools to play with, head over to the field full of rocks, sticks, and weeds. You can cut sticks and stumps (currently, it only takes one hit to break stumps. that is temporary) with your axe, and you can similarly break rocks and boulders with your hammer. The scythe doesn't work yet, so you can't cut those weeds. BUT, you can grab and throw them to weed your field. You can also pick up those sticks and rocks and place them anywhere else on the field (and only on the field).

-Once you have a nice clear spot, equip your hoe. Dig a nice 3x3 square, stand in the middle, then equip some seeds (the white bag is turnips. try those out since they grow faster). With your seeds equipped, press the D key to use them like any other tool and watch them cover that 3x3 patch. You've successfully planted your first crops!

-With your crops planted, you have to take care of them now. If you were lucky and did this on a rainy day, they are watered already. If not, equip your watering can and water a couple (don't water all of them, because you'll run out. I haven't added a means of refilling it just yet). Now, head back inside, interact with your diary next to the bed, and sleep. Go back outside, water the same couple you did before (unless it's raining), then go back to sleep again. Do this a few times, and you should notice your crop has grown a couple times. When it's full grown, you can pull it out of the ground. From there, you can sell it or give it to someone. Or just throw it on the ground to get rid of it. You're now an expert at farming!

-Next up is your animals. Some animals have already been provided for you as a courtesy, so you can get a feel for how they work. They aren't finished yet though, so it's a little rudimentary right now. First, go up to each of your animals in the barn and press C. You'll notice a little heart appear. If you press C on that animal again, nothing happens. Why is that? Because you've already showed them a little affection, so they're used to it. Otherwise you'd be able to make your animal completely loyal and happy in just a day. BUT, you can come back tomorrow and do it again to score a little more affection points. Not much to it so far though. Animals need food though, so head over to the right side of the barn, press C on the box protruding from the side, and you'll suddenly be holding something (unless you already have something equipped. if so, unequip it). This is fodder, and animals get sick (and will eventually die when I maliciously program them to) if you don't feed it to them. But slow down there cowboy! You can't just run up and stick it in their mouth (yet). Walk up to those conspicuous boxes you see next to them. There's one for each animal (and a couple extra), so place the fodder in those. You just have to stand next to one, face it, and press C with the fodder in your hands. Easy.

-Now that you've seen the animals in your barn, run over to the next building: your chicken coop. There's already a few in there waiting for you. One thing you should notice right off when you interact with your chickens is that you show them affection in a different way. You pick them up, the put them back down on the ground. Now they're happy. It's a Harvest Moon thing. You can also grab a chicken and take it outside. You can even take it completely off your farm to some obscure place and drop it off. When you come back, it will still be there (I need to program something like wolves eating them when you do that though. It was in the SNES version after all). Normally, leaving chickens outside on your farm will encourage them to scavenge for their own food so they don't starve (well, they can't starve just yet). However, they haven't been programmed to do so. So leave them inside for now. Chickens are pretty simple really. But wait, how do you feed them? You should already have some handy dandy bags of chicken feed in your bag. Just press S until a brown bag with a chicken on it pops up. Now that it's equipped, face the little feed stalls behind where your chickens first appeared. There's one per chicken, so put feed in one for each of them (just press D). You can come back the next day to get eggs from the chickens you fed.

-Now, go outside and leave your farm. You'll be at a crossroads. From there, go left to the town. There's three shops there: the tool shop (don't go there, they have defective products :p), the restaurant/cafe (it's locked though. no food for you), and the animal shop. There's also a church, but it's not finished yet. Head to the animal shop (notice the little cow icon on the building that gives it away), and once inside grab the three items on the counter. You'll have to pay for them, but that's okay. You have nearly $10 billion. With your new toys in hand, there's a few more possibilities open to you now. First, equip your brush (Just press S until it pops up). Then head to your barn and use the brush on your animals. They love it. This allows you to score a little more affection each day from your animals (certain things require your animals to like you. such as getting better produce from them, or winning certain festivals). Once you've brushed your animals, equip the milker (the funny-looking yellow and white thing). Guess what it's for? Milking your cows (that was a tough one). So, get milking! You can take the milk you get and sell it, give it to someone, or throw it away. If you don't feed your animals, they'll get sick and won't produce anything though. Also, cows that are too young can't be milked either (but your cows are already mature enough). Next up is the sheep. Pull out the shears and get clipping. You'll be awarded some wool that you can do the same thing with as everything else so far. Normally, you can't shear them every day. But they're programmed to regrow their wool every day for now, so don't worry about that just yet.

-Now what? You'll probably notice that there's a few more tools in your bag. Most don't work though, so don't bother trying them out just yet. So next, leave your farm again and this time go north. You're in the mountains. Early on in your game, it's common to come here to forage for wild food to sell. It's not worth as much as milk, wool, or crops, but buying animals to start with is expensive, and both crops and animals take time to grow before you can get anything of value from them. So, this is the alternative for making a quick buck. You can grab some items laying around and, like everything else, ship them, give them away, or throw them away. You should also see four signs side by side. You can interact with these to change the season (just for fun). Doing so will change which items are available to forage. Next to these signs is a little pond. You can use your fishing pole here to catch fish (or sometimes junk). It's a little awkward right now, but fishing does work. Cast out your line, and sit tight until you get a bite. Quickly press B when you get a bite (hit it repeatedly if you have trouble) and you'll hook a fish. You can do the same thing with that fish as anything else. It can be sold, thrown away, or given away.

-I bet you've been dying to explore that cave (if you haven't already) over there. Well, go ahead! Once inside, you'll notice that's it's pretty empty. Boring right? Equip your hoe and dig around a bit. You can find items in the ground, and even old ladders that take you to the lower levels of the mine. On the next levels down, you should see some rocks all over the place. You can break these with your hammer to score items as well (well, not yet. All you'll get is a pop up message telling you that you got one). Dig around some more until you've found enough ladders to take you to the last floor. There's a nice pond you can fish in there. All you'll get is a "rare" fish all the time if you fish in it though. To get out, run back over the ladder and climb out.

-If you didn't earlier, you can talk to Ellen and Ann in town to see how the message system works and the different dialog patterns. You get a greeting when you first meet them, some generic filler text (you only get one or two of these common dialogs per day. two for right now), and then an ending phrase to indicate that there's nothing more to talk about. All dialog will increase that villagers affection level a little, but only the first time you hear it each day. So after you see the ending text once, talking to them again will do nothing until their dialog is reset the next day (I think I've programmed it to reset anyways). They'll just repeat their ending text over and over.

That's more or less all for right now. There's a whole lot more to it in the background, but you don't need to worry about that until the project is finished up and a tutorial on how to use or customize certain features is written up. When that time comes, you can take the role of a developer and start building your own Harvest Moon with your own (or just your favorite) characters, in your own towns (or ones you liked in the official games) and add as many new items, features, animals, or characters as you want.

I'll also be adding this to the first post for now.

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I drew that picture myself haha! I'm more of a HG/SS styled overworld, so this wasn't easy to do for me, without reverting to HG/SS style haha... But I think it came out alright.

Nice new update, will check this out a bit later, I don't have time right now, but I'll play later :D

Years
Very nice description :) I actually made a map of the Valley from HMDS...I only got to make the village area so far....It's kinda just another text map for me to work things out... It'd be kinda cool if there was a spawn wild items code, like you have on the farm with the sticks and, stones. Excited to see the hearts, and day/night system too!

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Very nice description :) I actually made a map of the Valley from HMDS...I only got to make the village area so far....It's kinda just another text map for me to work things out... It'd be kinda cool if there was a spawn wild items code, like you have on the farm with the sticks and, stones. Excited to see the hearts, and day/night system too!
I supposed I could make items spawn randomly, but the official games usually have the items in static locations every day so you know what to expect (the 2D ones anyways. and this is a 2D project). I supposed I could even add it in and make it optional (I've done that with a few things so far).

Also, if you or anyone else wants to donate some maps to show off some of the features, that would be great. Maybe if/when the game gets a graphical upgrade, some maps from the official games could be used. I believe you mentioned you could rip some HMDS graphics. If you can get a full resource set, I will upgrade the graphics for in the upcoming release with it. It would be a huge help. Menu rips, item icons, facesets, tilesets, crop stages, and charsets (for animals too) are what's needed. Some of them are on TSR, so you could use that and fill in the blanks if you want. Otherwise, I might get to it eventually. If there are any other graphical styles anyone has in mind, please make note of them here (except FOMT. I do not like FOMT graphics for some reason. Also, I tried them before and they don't fit well in a grid using 32x32 tiles, which is what RMXP uses).

@Nickaloose: I actually didn't notice that the charset was different from the official one until I compared them. It was good enough to fool me at least, so good work on that.

Back