• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't Let the Catz say Zero! [DLTMS0 v4.0]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

I'm not a fan of many CGI things to be honest with you, there are of course major exceptions though.

Gintama is wonderful, takes a while to really warm up but but it's so worth it.

There are a few titles I'm looking forward for this year. Shingeki no Kyojin, Aku no Hana, Sailor Moon and Ghost in the Shell: Arise off the top of my head.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

I hear so many good things about it but...
I dunno. I just think of how much time I would have to invest in it to watch it, and then I cringe. It's not that I don't want to watch Gintama, it's just that I don't want to watch something that long from the beginning.

Unless it's called Yu Yu Hakusho or Dragon Ball Z.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

For the most part it is an episodic comedy, there are arcs which range from 2 - 7 (The latest one is 13 chapters so that number might go up) so it's not really hard to pick up and put down.

Yu Yu Hakusho is one I want to watch at some point. Can't see myself watching dbz though. I watched the original 153 episodes and read the manga with no nostalgia value, it was enough for me.

I just got into bed, still have to cook some food though. meh.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

DBZ was a show I watched as a child, but I don't wear my nostalgia goggles when I say it. There was actually a point where I convinced myself that I didn't like the show...then I downloaded it and watched it to the end. And then that happened two more times. Not counting movies, it's my favorite animu, though I'm hoping that one day something will come along to take its place.

Eh...I guess I could give it a shot. If it's episodic then I should be fine, it'll give me something to go to when I get bored over the years.

Night, Pokestick!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

Nighty night, Pokey.

It was a fun show although it's had no lasting impact on me. I love the demographic but Dragon Ball probably wouldn't even make my top 10 shounen series. Had I been one of the many children running home after school to watch dubbed episodes this would probably be quite different.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017

I hate Dragon Ball z lol. I never got interested in Dragon Ball Z, so I don't know if it sucks or not.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Eh...it's really the people that like it for nostalgic value alone that slightly bother me. I was like that for a while, but I haven't watched the "censored aired Toonami" version in years (mainly because Toonami went off), I've mainly kept to the Uncut Funimation version. Reason being, if you get someone who liked something when they were a kid, like say, anything on Toonami, they will talk about it in the context as if they were a kid. They'll say things like, "Oh, I remember that show, that was the show with the people with the big hair and the powers", and that's not what these shows are; they're better than that. That's largely why I went back to watch the show uncut, to see if my interest in the show was genuine.

But I will agree, Dragon Ball Z did have too many male characters; I really wish Toriyama had implemented more female characters. He tried to in the end, with Bra, Videl, and Pan...but there could have been more. Way more.

Other than that, my favorite anime, movies included, is Summer Wars, hands down. I don't think any movie, in terms of animation, small details, characters, music, and story has ever gripped me as much as Summer Wars has. It was surprising, because I was sure that my favorite movie would always be a Studio Ghibli production.

EDIT: WAT
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=293764

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS!?

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

Yet to see Summer Wars, the fact it was directed by the guy that did The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, a film I was massively underwhelmed by is probably holding me back.

Kiki's Delivery Service is my favourite anime film, in fact it's probably in my top 5 films ever. Ghost in the Shell, Adolescence of Utena and Grave of the Fireflies were all pretty great, also.

The number of females in Dragon Ball didn't bother me one bit. I liked the ones that were in it and that's enough for me.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Don't worry about that, I was underwhelmed by The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, as well. Though I won't say I didn't like it, it had a VASTLY different impact on me than Summer Wars did (not to mention that they are vastly different movies, in more ways than you'll expect).

Though I think my interest in TGWLTT was largely governed by the massive amounts of good reception I've seen of it. Plus the fact that, well, it was made by the creator of my favorite movie. Usually I'm able to cast those out, but there are cases when I can't, and I'd suspect that this is one such example. Expectations ruin everything, after all.

Also, I love Kiki as well, it's one of my favorite Studio Ghibli movies, too. My favorite of them is probably Whisper of the Heart, for personal reasons (well, not too personal that I wouldn't share them) and because, well, I think it's a very good movie (though it's really the combination of those things that makes it my favorite, or at least the most important to me).

I'd watch Adolescence, but I need to watch the show over again first. The first time I watched it...I dunno...but I did like it. Sadly, the Funi channel didn't air it to the end, so I didn't finish it.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

Utena is one of the very few shows to utterly make my jaw drop, despite the obvious flaws it's undoubtedly my favourite series. Only Galaxy Express 999 and One Piece get near it, for me.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Really? I wouldn't have taken you as one who likes anything in the Big Three, especially not to the extent of putting it close to Utena.

...Of course, then again, I guess people are that way with me and Dragon Ball Z...I'm not really the type to delve into Shonen easily anymore. When I was younger, I was in love with things like Naruto and Bleach, but since then my senses sharpened- not to say that those shows are beneath me, but I'm more the type of person to put story and characters in front of...well...whatever it was that I liked about Naruto and Bleach as a child (In the case of DBZ, though, I like it mostly for the storytelling and underlying themes). Heck, the reason I like One Piece so much is largely for those reasons, and for the fact that each flashback for the characters hits an increasingly emotional note. I like to be touched by anime to the point where I won't want to call the police.

I'm really interested in Utena, though. It touches on themes such as sex, homosexuality and the like, has interesting characters and character relationships, and, well, it's just plain interesting. I do want to watch it at some point.

Same with Galaxy Express 999, I still can't believe I haven't watched that.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

I'm really quite big on the shounen demographic, actually. The "Big 3" will always have a place in my heart.

One Piece is far from perfect (especially the anime) but as you mentioned it has the potential to take you on an emotional roller-coaster, the world is imaginative and changing, you'll very rarely dislike a character and the boss fights are some of the most memorable in anime history. It's easily one of my favourite series and I'm sure I'll say the same thing in the distant future when it finishes.

Naruto has more peaks and troughs than any other series for me but it's great fun for the most part. After investing so many hours into it I don't think I could just stop, not until he gets is best friend back anyway. ;__;

Bleach, I don't even know. A fun urban fantasy followed by a pretty well done save the princess arc followed by.......dark days. I enjoyed some of the Aizen stuff and the currently ongoing arc is reigniting my passion for the show. Oh Tite Kubo, such an enigma.

So yeah, depending on my mood I can get enjoyment out of pretty much any genre. A battle shounen is never going to be intellectually stimulating but sometimes watching underaged boys punch each others faces in is all you need.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

I'm the same way, I don't have any particular bias for any genre, it just so happens that, as of late, few Shonen have caught my eye- which leads me into something else.

I really think that the "Shonen" and "Shoujo" genres should be renamed. Partially because it sort of labels interests to the sexes, but also because it creates bias among the consumers. I don't have too much of a problem with it, but when my friends don't watch an anime because it has "Shoujo" in the genres category, which is a little "macho" if you ask me. I mean, it makes sense when you consider that the two mean "boy" and "girl" respectively, but...well, that's kinda the problem. It's almost as if those labels are trying to dictate who buys them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back