• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibraihim the Betrayed

You are not prepared...
Years

It's forum RPing you've done before, then? With long text-y posts like we do here? I see that you want to join a RP from the beginning, but if you could loosen that wish a bit I'd recommend trying to join Hoenn Diaries (trainer travelling) or Shattered Era (pokémon warring). They should be easy enough to jump into if the GM helps you a bit with recap. I've been partaking a little in both and the GMs are great and helpful!

Yeah I was a regular at Pe2K for a few months/years, was absent and considering getting back into it until I saw Pe2K was shut down (that's why I came here!).

I could definitely loosen up my 'from the beginning' preference, but I'd have too wait until the morning, the later morning, 'cause it's 2:45 AM now and I don't think I'd be able to catch up too anything at the moment.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Approved roleplay list <- Ibraihim, if you check the last few posts of this thread, you'll find the latest roleplays released. If you keep an eye on it over the next few days there will probably be a few new ones too :) that way you can join in at the beginning.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Yoooo welcome!

There's also the ROLEPLAY LIBRARY if you're looking for a specific roleplay. rika keeps that updated for us :) (but you should probably update it again d: )

Also, another question for our community:
I've been thinking of revamping an old roleplay of mine, CLOUD. The whole thing about this roleplay was it mixed the online world, like what we are doing right now, with the offline world. The roleplay was meant for EVERYONE since i didn't want it to be advanced (i was basically approving anyone who could write legibly) with a comfortable T rating, and lots of opportunities for interaction!!

Would anybody be interested in joining if I was to revamp that? Perhaps any suggestions on what might make you more willing to join??

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
@Skymin I would definitely rejoin! It seemed like it would've been fun. I think the only thing I had a problem with was understanding some mechanics and whatnot about the game itself, but I think it's because I seldom kept myself posted on OOCs back then.

@Everyone I'm sorry for my drop in activity lately; class has caught up to me lately and my muse went on vacation. It's back though, and class is definitely going to be a lot lighter in terms of workload for a while, so I can say that I'll probably be able to post more often.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Well, a small announcement to go along with my new theme and numerous changes in my life:

AN
AO NO EXORCIST
RP IS IN THE WORKS

Details will come with time, though I expect my deadline is for it to be up before summer begins. So, is there interest in this idea from others besides me?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Details will come with time, though I expect my deadline is for it to be up before summer begins. So, is there interest in this idea from others besides me?

Errr possibly, but you need to tell us more than just what it is based on! Is it a school-style roleplay? What kind of abilities will the players be able to have?

It has been a while since I've seen Blue Exorcist.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Alright, well, it will indeed be school-based, but will follow a plot. It will be as canon as a made-up story can be, though will have nothing to do with the actual series' plot. It will be based around an Exorcist Academy in the United States' branch of the True Cross Order and will be an academy on its own, apart from that depicted in Japan. However, many aspects of the school will hold true, including plot, ranking, and overall goal. It will take place /after/ the main series' plot, meaning a lot of this RP's plot will revolve around the struggles between Humans and Demons, as well as the concept of them living in harmony. Players will be part of the same class of exorcists-in-training, starting out as Pages and (possibly) working their way up. It will run in a fairly plot-driven style, with plenty of "wiggle-room" as they say, as well as giving players the occasional opportunity for a contained sandbox (be it in the form of weekends, days off, or maybe even mysterious plot devices!). I will be working on a teacher character to help maintain the RP, as well as have some fun in it myself.

Also, Exorcists can all have their own backgrounds, and will be expected to decide what kind of Exorcist they want to be (Aria, Knight, Tamer, etc.). Limits will be made for everyone's sakes, meaning no demons, half-demons, and the like. We don't want to go about ripping off the wonder that was the series, after all.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I'm in, uh, approximately two RPs at the moment. It's low, but enough for my busy life now.

I started watching Blue Exorcist but didn't stick with it. Guess it might make for a nice RP setting with a good plot and gameplay though :)

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I would very much implore you to do so; it's one of those series that starts out pretty plain and simple, and just gets more complex and interesting over time. I was starting at one episode per day, but towards the end it just got too interesting and I couldn't help but spend the day marathoning it.

Anyhow, I intend to make the RP in a way that can introduce players to the world without them having to have seen or read the manga/anime to play. That said, it's definitely a new favorite of mine, and I would recommend it to anyone who loves action/suspense/story.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
I would very much implore you to do so; it's one of those series that starts out pretty plain and simple, and just gets more complex and interesting over time. I was starting at one episode per day, but towards the end it just got too interesting and I couldn't help but spend the day marathoning it.

Anyhow, I intend to make the RP in a way that can introduce players to the world without them having to have seen or read the manga/anime to play. That said, it's definitely a new favorite of mine, and I would recommend it to anyone who loves action/suspense/story.
manga is better tho.

i was going to say, make sure you don't allow half demons otherwise there'll be a million of them. that being said with characters like izumo with connections to spirits, you'll need to take that into consideration as well. it'll be odd, i don't usually like the sobby story about orphans and stuff with characters but this roleplay, nobody JUST gets into the cram school (except paku) so you need an extreme of uniqueness for it.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
manga is better tho.

i was going to say, make sure you don't allow half demons otherwise there'll be a million of them. that being said with characters like izumo with connections to spirits, you'll need to take that into consideration as well. it'll be odd, i don't usually like the sobby story about orphans and stuff with characters but this roleplay, nobody JUST gets into the cram school (except paku) so you need an extreme of uniqueness for it.
I may have to read it anyway, even though I finished the anime (and movie)

Exactly. And yes, one of my favorite things about characters is seeing people's unique ideas and how they put them together. Ao No Exorcist is a really good type of world for uniqueness, definitely.

cGA2dqg.png

Fun fact: totally using this emotes now.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
I may have to read it anyway, even though I finished the anime (and movie)

Exactly. And yes, one of my favorite things about characters is seeing people's unique ideas and how they put them together. Ao No Exorcist is a really good type of world for uniqueness, definitely.

cGA2dqg.png

Fun fact: totally using this emotes now.
please read the manga if you are making a rp. character plots are way more indepth and renzo, izumo and takara's roles are explained in much more detail. konekomaru is probably the most ordinary of the lot.

it will also give you more ideas on factions because hey hey spoiler alert
Spoiler:

and they could be used so interestingly

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I'll be sure to, for the RP's sake (and for personal enjoyment)

cLODV6c.png

Would you happen to have a link to somewhere I could find them and read all the way up to date?

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023
@Skymin: Get yo' butt working on Cloud.

@Dusk: There is a lot you can do in the Ao no Exorcist world so I'm sure you have a lot of possibilities in mind that will make it interesting. Like Skymin said though, don't let everyone be OP. (We all know they want to be.)

Anyways, new question to spark conversation. Why do you guys think roleplays die here so often? I've begun to notice that even though they die a lot (By a lot, I'm mean way too much), many of the RPs' members are still here. Is it just lack of interest? Same story just gets old sometimes? What do you think it is?

(BTW, if a new Digimon RP were to be made, which universe would people want it to be based in? (For mechanics reasons.) Examples of course being: Adventure, Tamers, Data Squad, etc. Also, do you think set Digimon partners is a good idea or should the RPer get to choose?)

Last edited:

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Why do you guys think roleplays die here so often?

Sometimes the GM loses interest or accidentally disappears (whether by choice or real life getting in the way); the players lose interest, disappear or have to limit how many RPs they can be in; sometimes certain people, potentially crucial, lose their commitment to the RP, and it dies. Occasionally, everyone's muse is murderfied.

The general problems end up being lack of interest, lack of commitment, and real life getting in the way, while the RP just doesn't have the people to keep it going.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
@Dusk: There is a lot you can do in the Ao no Exorcist world so I'm sure you have a lot of possibilities in mind that will make it interesting. Like Skymin said though, don't let everyone be OP. (We all know they want to be.)
Oh, I know. THat's why I hope to see people making a wide array of characters, including the Aria, even though their 'power' is merely chants. It shouldn't be about power, but teamwork. I already have some fun ideas...

oL05NPr.png

Hehehe...

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
Hello good people of the roleplay corner~

I have returned. That's all I really wanted to say xD Sorry for my sudden two weeks long hiatus.

DjqZX7A.gif

Sorry I really liked this gif ;-;

Kranic

What did you say about my hair
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
Anyways, new question to spark conversation. Why do you guys think roleplays die here so often? I've begun to notice that even though they die a lot (By a lot, I'm mean way too much), many of the RPs' members are still here. Is it just lack of interest? Same story just gets old sometimes? What do you think it is?

(BTW, if a new Digimon RP were to be made, which universe would people want it to be based in? (For mechanics reasons.) Examples of course being: Adventure, Tamers, Data Squad, etc. Also, do you think set Digimon partners is a good idea or should the RPer get to choose?)

I feel like roleplays dying is just the nature of the game. People have to rely on each other in order for activity to go, so once one person starts to teeter, it cascades and effects everyone else. The waiting between posts is usually what gets people bored, which is kind of the unavoidable in text roleplays. Only way I've seen to avoid this is to keep people always participating in something regarding the roleplay, like having a chatroom to discuss plot and development and stuff, but keeping people active in the chat is work in itself.

The lack of shame for dropping roleplays around here seems to help with the quick deaths of roleplays too. An interesting roleplay pops up, a ton of people join, then a ton of people back out shortly after it starts, causing it to fall apart because of the cascading effect I mentioned earlier. People back out for a ton of reasons, because they have too much on their plate, circumstances required, just lost interest, etc. Point is people drop pretty often because people aren't too harsh on leavers, which is fine, I'd prefer a nice community over a strict stern community with everyone on top of each other angrily any day.

SAO: Sanctuary did a pretty good job at countering the leaving effect by letting the roleplay be free enough so even if people left, people can still keep roleplaying without any big issues. Having a dedicated GM is probably the most important factor in keeping a roleplay alive, but it's hard to do that without some type of support from players, which is again, why chat's that supplement roleplays usually lead to a more successful roleplay, from my experience anyways.

Regarding the digimon roleplay, I was toying around with the idea of a digimon roleplay in a Xros type world. I think letting people decide their partners will probably lead to the most fun just because it let's people be creative in making their characters, being limited to a couple different digimon sort of sucks, especially when someone takes the one you had in mind.

Edit: P.S welcome back P.S

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Lack of interest OR lack of time to spend/focus on the RP. Both leads to lack of dedication and persistence with a RP. I think it's a shame, and you should always think carefully before joining one imo. But I also think it's a good thing that you CAN drop out from a RP without being hated, if you realize that you won't be able to continue for a decent reason. So mixed feelings from me, but mostly I'd wish more RPs stayed alive and great of course. It's just that new and exciting is only new and exciting for so long, unless the RP brings new stuff and turns all the time. Dedicated GM is key, yeah.

Regarding a digimon RP, I'd like to see one where we're humans but can turn into digimon now and then, either when necessary in the real world (sort of Tamers thingy) or maybe we'd be human in the real world and digimon form in the digital world. Instead of having a digimon partner, I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back