• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

30 Days of Video Gaming (V3)

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Day 22 - A video game which disappointed you

I haven't really played that many games that I'd deem disappointing, as I usually try out demos, watch gameplay, etc., of stuff before buying it. It has however happened a few times, one which was a pretty expensive mistake. One of the more recent ones was Ratchet and Clank Q-Force. I had never heard of it prior to finding it in a game shop, since I hadn't been following the series since the third game, so when I saw that it featured co-op, I got pretty excited. Well, turned out it wasn't much of what the older Ratchet and Clank was. It's not that it was a bad game, it just strived too far away from what Ratchet and Clank really was, and it made the experience a lot less enjoyable.

Now my biggest disappointment ever in a video game, came from the most recent Dragonball game (I believe. It's starting to get pretty old now :p), Ultimate Tenkaichi. I've always been a pretty big fan of all of them, and really enjoyed Raging Blast, so when UT was announced with its incredible graphics and whatnot, I got really excited. Preordered it for like $500, and man, was that a huge mistake. While it was visually stunning, with great graphics, great animations, etc., the gameplay was just not really enjoyable at all. They took all skill away from the game, and made the battles purely based on luck and fast reactions. I managed to play through the game, but it was certainly not as fun as I'd hoped for, and definitely not worth the money.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Day 23 - Video game that had the most appealing graphics

Tales of Xillia, if you've seen screenshots of the game. I personally think it's the Tales of Game that has the best graphics. 8)

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years

Marvel vs Capcom 2, I've always adored highly stylized 2D fighting game graphics. So seeing them move so smoothly just makes me enjoy it all the more.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Day 21 - Video Game/Series with the best story

Shadow Hearts: Covenant's story was always fascinating to me. Aside from including actual historical figures (as comrades/villains) in sort of of alternate history, time paradoxes, and visiting towns across Europe/Asia, you get a engaging, tragic, yet hope-filled story that blows your mind with it's ending.

I know the game has received high praise from reviewers and the casual fan, but personally I could never get into Xenoblade. The MMO aspects of the game are what immediately turned me off, and while I tried pushing through it despite that, I eventually gave up.

Always loved Odin Sphere's beautiful 2D graphic style.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
Day 20 - Do you prefer Consoles, or Handheld video games?

Consoles, mostly because there is a bigger selection of games.

I would have to say the that the Mass Effect series had the best story imo. (Disregarding the ending to ME3.) At the very least I've always felt the most satisfied with how Mass Effect's story plays out, probably because it can change depending on my actions or something like that. o3o

I know I shouldn't judge a game before I even finish it, but when I had rented Gears of War: Judgement, the campaign felt very...dry. I may have a different opinion if I rent it again and finish the campaign, but this is how I felt about it when I played it.

Hmm, I really liked the graphics in Mass Effect 3, everything looked nice and clean and just plain ol' aesthetically appealing in my eyes. (Plus, everything had an unexplainable 'blue' feel to it, which is cool since I like blue.)

Years

One game that always blows my mind at how well they're done graphically are those in the Tiger Woods series (with the most being Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14). At first glance, you can easily mistake it for watching golf on TV- that's how much detail went into it.

Another game that really impressed me was L.A. Noire, at least for its facial graphics. Although I played very little of the game itself, the faces in the game were so well done that it was almost uncanny in the resemblance they had to their real-life counterparts.

T!M

Years
Day 24 - Your first video game

Pokémon Blue Version ('98), got it with a cyan colored Gameboy Color. I remember playing it at my grandmother's house.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Day 24 - Your First Video Game

It was a cartage combo of Super Mario Bros. and a Video Game called Ice Hockey for the NES. I remember playing it with my father; it was the first time we bonded. :3

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Day 24 - Your First Video Game

Not certain since it was way long ago. I keep telling myself it was either Super Mario Bros. for the NES or Paper Boy for the same console. Super Mario World is the first game I clearly remember really get into though, but I don't believe it was my first.

T!M

Years
Day 25 - A Video Game that had the best mechanics

Final Fantasy 7's Materia system was the shaz. Lot's of customization options.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Day 25 - A Video Game with the Best Mechanics

Tales of Vesperia had simple, yet pretty fun mechanics on making combos and making Linked Artes! I also love Tales of Graces system; it's CC was tricky to get used to at first, but, it was pretty fun as well! <3

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Day 25 - A Video Game with the Best Mechanics

Always was a fan of Dark Cloud 2's (Dark Chronicle) game mechanics. Not just in gameplay, but in the city-building aspect too, which are far from being what you would describe as deep, but fun nonetheless. The weapon system was probably my favorite part about the game though. Weapons can be built-up by meeting certain criteria (most being able to branch into more than one-type) as well as synthesizing it with items to boost certain parameters.

Years

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was the first video game that I can ever recall playing. It's hard to believe that it still manages to be my favorite game that I've played, but maybe the fact that it was my very first is part of the reason why (that, and it's incredibly simple and fun).

Both Portal and Portal 2 had the great innovation of the Portal gun to solve your missions, and I personally think it's one of the best game mechanics to date. Considering using the portal gun is basically the only thing you can do besides move around, yet the game was not only successful, but its sequel was too, showed that it really was an outside the box mechanic that worked incredibly well.

Day 26 - A video game that had the best voice acting

It may not have had the very best voice acting, but nothing else is really popping in my head other than Mass Effect 3. Seth Green, Martin Sheen, Yvonne Strahovski, Freddie Prinze Jr. and even people like Buzz Aldrin had speaking roles in the game, which is a pretty talented cast of people.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years

Tales of Symphonia had really good voice acting! Persona 4 as well; each one of their voices were quite memorable. <3

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years

I really like the mechanics in Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. Everything works just so not cooperating with teammates gets you killed, and I've always enjoyed that.

Probably going to have to go with Mass Effect 3 again, that game just has an all-star cast.

T!M

Years
Day 27 - Your favorite Boss Battle(s)

Battles without puzzles, 1 on 1. A battle that a victory is based on individual strength not parlor tricks. So: Almost every boss battle from Kingdom Hearts (first one)

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Day 27 - Your Favorite Boss Battle(s)

I really love the boss battles from Kid Icarus: Uprising. The music is well suited for each one of them, and you'd generally have to rely on your own skill, as well as weapon strength. :3 I also love the boss battles from Tales of Symphonia, mainly Yggdrasil because I always love fighting him. I also love the cameo battle from Tales of Abyss; you get to face Nanaly, Mist, Philia, and Reid, which was pretty exciting and fun to fight in!

Years
Day 18 - Favourite protagonist
Sonic the Hedgehog Gotta Go Fast
Pitt (Kid Icarus Uprising)-
Spoiler:

Day 19 - What video game world would you live in?
The Pokemon World! Johto ftw!

Day 20 - Do you prefer Consoles, or Handheld video games?
I'm forever a slave to my handhelds

Game: Bastion
Series:Final Fantasy

Sonic 06

Final Fantasy IX/X-Both Games were stunning when they first came out. IX was the most amazing thing graphicly to appear on the Ps1 and Final Fantasy X set the bar way high for the Ps2.

The first game I ever played was Super Mario World, The First Video Game I owned was Super Mario Bros: Deluxe for the GBC

Far Cry 3/Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
I think the game may have a few rough edges, but even so, the mechanics only increase the immersion of what's already a very immersive game.
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
It just fits like a glove

Kid Icarus Uprising Some of the funniest, genuine dialogue I've ever heard in gaming.
Bastion This is fundamental to what makes this game so special. Every line in this game is pretty much spot on.

Day 27 - Your favourite Boss Battle(s)
Perfect Chaos- The Music, the Game Feel, the atmosphere surrounding the battle are just awesome. It hasn't aged very well, but the Generations version of the battle is almost just as good!

Reactions: T!M
Back