• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
So, I was wondering, do you guys know any TV shows, games or movies in which one of the protagonists is gay/bi/trans etc.? (And I don't mean yaoi, yuri or the like.)

For example, I've never really seen a video game where one of the characters seemed to be gay. You always have straight couples which I find kind of boring sometimes. Well, I guess this is due to the great amount of people who don't accept homosexuality but who knows... There might still be exceptions.
The only one I can think of is a TV show, Pretty Little Liars. One of the four girls is gay. I'm sure there are tons of other examples, but I don't watch that much TV or play that many games anyways.

Years
Whoa! News! (sorry I'm cutting into the conversation again)

The U.S. Supreme Court has decided to take up Prop 8 (the ban against gay marriage in California) and DOMA (the so-called Defense of Marriage Act which bans that federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages). Several things could happen:

- They could rule against the bans, but only inasmuch as they would say that you can't take away a right once it was given (in California we had same-sex marriage for a short while in a few places before Prop 8) or that it's up to states to decide how to handle this, striking down DOMA but leaving all the bans in over 30 states.

- They could rule that bans on same-sex marriage are just flat-out unconstitutional and all the bans would go away. Same-sex marriage would be legal everywhere.

- They could also rule in favor of the bans, even possibly taking away the right to marry in those states that already have laws saying it's okay.

- They could do something really unexpected and surprising that does something completely different.

But in any case it'll probably be months and months before they even start hearing arguments.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I've been looking into this topic a bit more extensively as of late (still have no clue about some of it though haha). Anyways, I've always been under the impression that it was more of a cascade effect. Once some states legalized same-sex marriage, it'd only be a matter of time before the country fell in suit. I guess I was blind to the idea that this could be taken away from states even where it is legal. So not only could there be no progress forward, there's a possibility a couple steps could be taken backwards.

Nevertheless I think federal action is definitely news that is welcome. Albeit it might take awhile, stuff'll eventually have to happen. ;P

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
The DOMA and Prop 8 news makes my day even if it's far off. There's a chance for same sex marriage to be nation wide in the USA! Though, they're speculating that they will remove the ban in California but not extend it throughout the entire country. Also, that they'll strike down DOMA since three different cases ruled it unconstitutional for three different reasons. These are just speculations (of course) and anything could happen really but I'll definitely be watching this stuff closely.

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
I stopped reading about politics a long time ago. I always get so angry whenever I do. *sigh*

On the other hand, this is very intriguing. I might just follow this very closely, provided I don't explode with rage like all those other times.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
So, I was wondering, do you guys know any TV shows, games or movies in which one of the protagonists is gay/bi/trans etc.? (And I don't mean yaoi, yuri or the like.)

For example, I've never really seen a video game where one of the characters seemed to be gay. You always have straight couples which I find kind of boring sometimes. Well, I guess this is due to the great amount of people who don't accept homosexuality but who knows... There might still be exceptions.

You need to get out there more then!

There are lots of shows with LGBT characters. To name a few: Doctor Who, Torchwood, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Degrassi, Glee, Bedlam, and soo many more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

For video games; Every romance character in Dragon Age 2 is bi, as well as in Dragon Age Origins there are two bi characters that I know of. Mass Effect has a quite a few as well. Skyrim has same sex marriage. Even games like Grand Theft Auto have a few LGBT characters.

Years
UK news!

David Cameron (Prime Minister) has announced that he doesn't want the gay community excluded from faith groups, and will be fighting for the permission of gay marriages (leaving the decisions to each individual priest/whatever).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20642428
It's nice he's trying to be inclusive, but personally I don't like how much he's conflating marriage with religion. Know what I mean? Almost like he's asking churches for their permission to have same-sex marriages. But at least it's something. And as an American it's encouraging to see a political party that calls itself conservative being behind anything in favor of gay people.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016

LOST GIRL! I'd suggest this show to everyone! I love it. Happy Endings, The New Normal, Chicago Fire, etc. Actually I'll just link you to this Wiki page. Here you go. And here's a list of movies. Movies.

If you want to talk more about it (I like to ramble about these things.) you can always VM me and I can suggest my favorites and what not.

Years
Well, not yet it hasn't, but it does look like it's likely to happen.

I'm especially heartened that they've proposed language changes and generally seem to have covered several issues with one law.

The bill also would clarify rules for adoption and in-vitro fertilization, and eliminate the words "marido y mujer" (husband and woman) in marriage contracts, refering instead to the gender neutral "contrayentes" (contracting parties).
But this part made me chuckle a little.

The naming change seemed to cause the most controversy as the measure came through legislative committees.

In the end, the legislators proposed to let all couples choose which surname comes first for their children.
I had no idea it was normal for people to have two last names.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
The article makes it sound like you ARE born that way. (Am I reading it incorrectly? Guess I'll need to read the full study later.) So is this saying that people are conceived to be bisexual but these epigenetic markers control which trait is expressed and the other suppressed?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Well, I guess it IS saying you were born that way, but that it isn't due to genetics, and that other factors of pregnancy causes it. As far as I can tell anyway... I'm definitely no expert on the subject, haha.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I think the main factor is your environment. Though I don't know when sexuality becomes permanently established.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
I think the main factor is your environment. Though I don't know when sexuality becomes permanently established.

I always considered that it was established in the womb, since genetic dispositions are out of the question. While traumatic events well after birth could do the trick, I believe that to be just temporary; a side-effect of the traumatic event.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years

It makes me feel bad about being Australian when Uruguay is closer than we are to marriage equality.

As to the "born this way" argument, I've always thought it'd be kind of awesome to pin-point the exact cause of homosexuality. That way, we might be able to find a way to turn people gay! The potential is there. There are a couple of guys I'd like to get my hands on but I can't because they have that annoying fetish for lady parts. :(

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
Wow. Just...wow. I had no idea that a single post would turn me from a blubbering, sobbing mess to rolling on the floor in hysterics. You, sir, have made my day.

Years
I wanted to post about this when I first read about it, but I wanted to wrap my head around the idea first... and I still haven't. What in the world are epigenetic markers anyway? They were never covered in biology class.

I'm still open about genetic factors, but from what I do understand it is pretty convincing, especially when you think of those cases where you have twins where one is gay and not the other. Or am I just thinking of that one instance where one of the twins ended up being trans? Anyway, I was kinda hoping we'd get to a place where we wouldn't care if someone was gay.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
My mom got me a birthday card with a giant Dachshund on the cover, that said "Well, you wished for a big wiener didn't you?"

It was so shocking, lol.

Last edited:
Back