• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CrystalDust [v3 PUBLIC ALPHA]

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years

Pokémon CrystalDust

a hack from DoMoreAwesome Games

Story:

We've been here before, haven't we?

Once again, you're put back into the shoes of either Gold or Kris, and sent on your way across the Johto region. Recreated in meticulous detail, you can nostalgically relive your past GBC memories and experiences in full-on GBA style on your way to becoming a Pokémon master. It's as if Game Freak made a remake of Crystal on the Game Boy Advance!

Base:

What you need to patch this to

Based off of Pokémon Emerald (U)

Features:

Why you want to play this

• Emerald engine, FireRed style: the best of both worlds!
  • Based on the pokeemerald decompilation project; no more binary hacking errors!
  • Custom day/night system that smoothly changes the tint over the whole day; it even supports light-up windows!
  • The Pokégear is back, and spiffier than ever before! Radio Card included!
  • High attention to detail in order to bring the best experience possible, as if it was actually released for the GBA!
  • Fully compatible linking with official games, including the GameCube games!

Screenshots:

Gaze upon them and weep!

01.png
02.png
03.png

04.png
05.png
06.png

07.png
08.png
09.png

10.png
11.png
12.png

13.png
14.png
15.png

16.png
17.png
18.png

19.png
20.png
21.png

22.png
23.png
24.png

25.png
26.png
27.png

28.png
29.png
30.png

31.png
32.png
33.png

34.png
35.png
36.png

37.png
38.png
39.png

Videos:

30 screenshots per second!

Soundtrack:

Like food for your ears

Progress:

How far can you go?

v3.0.0-alpha:

Finished
"The Loop": the Johto quest up to the Sudowoodo encounter on Route 36

v3.0.0:

Planned
Finishing the Kanto quest

Awards:

We won something? How?

c5piqc5.png

fhOiYsX.png
62M2mMs.png
2mrkY7X.png

7ep6FKk.png
fPfPEFk.png

Bugs/Glitches/Oddities:

What people don't want

Please report any bugs you find on the GitHub project page. That page also contains a list of bugs that are in the current version.

Credits:

Who did what

Sierraffinity - Programming, some art, testing, etc...
huderlem (ShantyTown) - Programming (Bug-Catching Contest, Card Flip, GB Sounds integration...)
Jambo51 - GB Sounds engine implementation

Shiro - Music (Johto trainer battle, Johto gym leader battle, rival battle...)
Alpha Remaster - Music (Title screen, main menu, Ilex Forest...)
CyanSMP64 "Furret" - Music and sound effects (Intro, Buena's Password, Rocket encounter...)
Jilly Shears - Music (Route 29, Route 30, Route 34...)
Kurausukun - Music (Dark Cave, Ruins of Alph, Pokécom Center...)
MrAPT1 - Music (New Bark Town, Cherrygrove City, trainer encounter themes...)
EesrekYT - Music (Johto wild battle, gym theme...)
KecleonTencho - Music (Follow Me, Sprout Tower, Rocket battle...)
PlatinumMaster - Music (Pokémon March, Ruins of Alph radio signal...)
Clonex25 - Music (Bike theme...)

Farore - Art (Intro Suicune, Oak speech sprites, various overworld sprites...)
ShadowOne333 - Art (Various overworld sprites, gym badges, male bag...)
Tetra - Intro backgrounds
Chaos Rush - Trees
Spherical Ice - Berry trees
Project Platinum (dead remake project) - Misc art

If I forgot anything, please let me know!

Downloads:

What you came here for

All patches, old and new, can be downloaded at DoMoreAweso.me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
This looks good, and I'll play it, but I have to ask how far does it go? I don't see anywhere on the post that tells that.

Sierraffinity

Years
This looks good, and I'll play it, but I have to ask how far does it go? I don't see anywhere on the post that tells that.
I realized I forgot to post that a second after I clicked "Post". The hack goes to the Sudowoodo event, and you can go back to Violet and beyond and do what you didn't (or couldn't) do your first time around.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years
Emerald is my favourite ROMBase. =)
Well,i must say this hack is great. ^_^
We rarely get good GSC remakes,this one looks splendid!
Keep up the excellent work!
I found a single error: Headbutt trees say: 0 Seconds 0 Minutes when investigating them.
BTW,Shouldn't this go into Progressing Hacks?

Sierraffinity

Years
Emerald is my favourite ROMBase. =)
Well,i must say this hack is great. ^_^
We rarely get good GSC remakes,this one looks splendid!
Keep up the excellent work!
I found a single error: Headbutt trees say: 0 Seconds 0 Minutes when investigating them.
BTW,Shouldn't this go into Progressing Hacks?
I fixed the error; the new version is up now.
And why should it go into Progressing Hacks? It fits all the criteria for the Hacks Showcase!

>Dante<

Call me Steven
Years
Sorry man...I don't have some time to try your hack...but hover I like to give my opinion :)

The hack look like really interesting. There are many remake of GSC... especially here, in pokecommunity.
But however, this project is what has attracted more me for the simple fact that I belive that you have worked hardly to do this.
I'm sorry that your script of the ruins doesn't work well :(
I would like to know how you have done it in emerald...

well man...good luck with your project!!
I hope to see soon some news! ;)

Sierraffinity

Years
Sorry man...I don't have some time to try your hack...but hover I like to give my opinion :)

The hack look like really interesting. There are many remake of GSC... especially here, in pokecommunity.
But however, this project is what has attracted more me for the simple fact that I belive that you have worked hardly to do this.
I'm sorry that your script of the ruins doesn't work well :(
I would like to know how you have done it in emerald...

well man...good luck with your project!!
I hope to see soon some news! ;)
Thanks for the comment!
For the Ruins of Alph puzzle, I ported Mastermind_X's version over to Emerald and changed the offsets of LASTRESULT. The puzzle works fine except for the colors, for some reason.
I like the idea of bringing back the Pokemon Communicatios Center. I'd play it if I can find a portable emulator. (PSP or DS lite)
Thanks for commenting. Too bad you can't play it, though. :(

Black Ice

[XV]
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2023
This is looking good. Haven't played a hack in a while, but I might try this when I get the time.

Lugiaz Soul

I support Crystal Dust
Years
I think you got the name wrong for the the region. You named it "TOHJO".
And when you look at the clock agian after you set it the tutorial music turns on again.

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Years
This is looking good. Haven't played a hack in a while, but I might try this when I get the time.
Awesome. Hope you like it!
I think you got the name wrong for the the region. You named it "TOHJO".
Well, the world map encompasses both Kanto and Johto, and the border between them is called "Tohjo Falls". Since the entire landmass has no one name, I called it Tohjo, the name also being a mix between the two.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
This hack looks wonderful! I'll play it and record a lp of this when the beta 2 is out.

Lugiaz Soul

I support Crystal Dust
Years
When you try the Ruins of Alph puzzle and then close it and press Start, the Start menu appears at the bottom. If you press Start again, some tiles get messed up.

Sierraffinity

Years
This hack looks wonderful! I'll play it and record a lp of this when the beta 2 is out.
Okay, sweet.
When you try the Ruins of Alph puzzle and then close it and press Start, the Start menu appears at the bottom. If you press Start again, some tiles get messed up.
Darn. Well, I guess that just comes from porting it over...
I'll get it fixed as soon as I can. Don't worry, just refrain from pressing Start after the puzzle.
And as for your other glitch, that's been fixed. If you really want to see that it's been done, download the new patch.

Last edited:

Lugiaz Soul

I support Crystal Dust
Years
Things that I didn't like:
Sometimes the screen flashes (Palettes get brighter) when entering a gatehouse at night.
The shrine at the forest doesn't look right because you can't face it (It's like that in all the remakes)
the map is squeezed onto one page. It looks unprofessional
There was no Fisherman music. I think it is supposed to sound like the Poke maniacs

Things that I did like:
The day and Night implementation.
Professor Oak doesn't ask me for Silver's name.
Actual Apricorns instead of renamed berries.
The maps were not 100% copies of the originals.
The radio.
Some custom sprites.
the pillar in the Sprout Tower is shaking. Really cool!
Complete scripts. Like when your rival bumps you it makes a sound and when someone leaves through the door it also make a sound. There are more of them but I forgot.

Also a bug that I found:
All the (step on a tile) events take place again during the night. Ex; I get to battle my rival at Cherrygrove City.

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Years
Let me fix up your lists first:
Things that I didn't like:
Sometimes the screen flashes (Palettes get brighter) when entering a gatehouse at night.
D/N system problem; ask ZodiacDaGreat, interdpth, and Mastermind_X to fix that.
The shrine at the forest doesn't look right because you can't face it (It's like that in all the remakes)
What exactly do you mean by "you can't face it"?
The map is squeezed onto one page. It looks unprofessional
Well, it was either that, or having only one of the two. Which would you rather want? :/
There was no Fisherman music. I think it is supposed to sound like the Poke maniacs
The Fisherman music is a remix of the R/B/Y music, so I just used FR's version. I'll probably change that later. Sheesh, this is the first beta!
There are more of them but I forgot.

Things that I did like:
The pillar in the Sprout Tower is shaking. Really cool!
Complete scripts. Like when your rival bumps you it makes a sound and when someone leaves through the door it also make a sound.
The day and Night implementation.
The police officer doesn't ask me for Silver's name.
I tried, but failed to implement this. Maybe (maybe!) in another beta.
Actual Apricorns instead of renamed berries.
The maps were not 100% copies of the originals.
Well, the only places I did this were in places I had to do it in. Otherwise, I tried to get them as accurate as possible.
The radio.
Some custom sprites.

Also a bug that I found:
All the (step on a tile) events take place again during the night. Ex; I get to battle my rival at Cherrygrove City.
And finally... WHAT?!?!?!?
Please explain further, as I have no idea what you mean... They don't get reset at all.

SilentWing

クロバット
Years
Woah, this is incredible. I've heard the Emerald base poses quite a few more problems than the supposedly "stabler" FR, but you've gotten so much done. How long have you been working on this again?

Sierraffinity

Years
wow! this game just came on my top 5 :P
it's really good but why did you take the emerald flower
animation? they pwn the fr ones D:
It's all a matter of opinion. I, personally, prefer the FR ones.
Woah, this is incredible. I've heard the Emerald base poses quite a few more problems than the supposedly "stabler" FR, but you've gotten so much done. How long have you been working on this again?
Well, that's what people USED to think... until Chaos Rush found out that Emerald uses 0xFF free space like everything else and not 0x00. I've been working on this since approx. the end of May this year.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
Ok, I haven't played this yet, but looking at your features list, I can't really see what exactly makes this different from other remakes?

Complete recreation of almost everything imaginable; sprites, sound, maps, events, and text all are almost perfect copies of their GBC counterparts, only slightly updated
Oro Sole?
May be based off of Emerald, but most things are taken from FireRed, including sprites, tiles, battle graphics, font, animations, ...
Pure Gold?
Day/Night system; while not being the most original thing in the hack, it allows for more sense of realism
Almost a hundred hacks out there?
No more Wally w/Zigzagoon against Ralts! Events like that have been ASM'd to resemble Crystal as much as possible
Not really much of a feature just a slight moderation to make it more like a remake.
Ruins of Alph puzzles... in Emerald! While the colors aren't correct, the rest of it sure is
Played that in Liquid Crystal before, and I'm sure Oro Sole and Pure Gold will have it too
Scripts are made to the best of my ability; no more exclamation mark without the sound!
Cool.
No sound glitches; this hack uses 0xFF free space, and uses the built-in FR voicegroups
I'm pretty sure a lot of hacks have no sound glitches.

Comments in bold

Back