• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Champions League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Only Pokemon that suited Alder were Buffoulant, Volcarona, and Druddigon but just barely on the last one there. I still would have preferred it if he had Pokes such as Gigalith, Mandibuzz, and maybe Braviary too but that's only because I can't think of anything better atm. Sure they're subpar as well but at the very least they would suit him more than 2 drugged up bugs and a levitating ice cream cone with a face lol.

But plot wise yeah he was rather intriguing to say the very least, reminded me of Lance a bit in that retrospect though but only a little sadly but it was enough for me to catch on to that vague resemblance lol.

And welcome to teh group Jack.

Oh and regarding Blue he should have had a Scizor in place of either Exeggutor or Rhyperior and maybe an Umbreon or Jolteon to replace the Pidgeot there but that's just my opinion there, gotta admit though haven't ever faced a Pidgeot that tough before lol, even though it just tried to stall me out with Roost as I was nailing it with Ice Beam after Ice Beam from my Blastoise at the time lol.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I suppose something like Excadrill, Beartic, and Seismitoad would have worked out well. They all have some glaring weakness, two of them sharing one, but that would have been more formidable. Also, Hydreigon wouldn't have been a bad option either, seeing that it's a Pseudo-legendary and most Champions seem to have one. I thought Volcarona really fit him, especially with his mad hair style. Why did they have to give him that stupid ice cream cone?

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
[SIZE="a"]I do think his pokemon look a little.. Less threatening than lances gyrados or Cithias garmchomp..

I don't think game freak is being soft on the trainers here though.. We see in the plot he is meant to be weak.. That's why he couldn't stop gheteses (can't spell) and they needed a hero on the first place

I'm not a massive genwiner but I did sigh when I realised the anticipated champion battle consisted of fighting an Ice cream :L[/SIZE]

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I think the plot pointed to him being more filled with grief rather than weakness. True, he never actually won the title of Champion, according the Ghetsis anyway. Either way, he should have had more formidable Pokemon considering all he does is travel and take a few battles every now and then. And he did fail his duty as a Champion of the region to protect it, since the protagonist actually does that. You can't help but feel sorry for him though.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Alder still could have swept N and Ghetsis easily with that Volcarona of his though and maybe even his Buffoulant too god forbid his level 77 Volc falls to a level 54 Hydreigon after a Quiver Dance boost.

I laughed at first when I saw the afro buffalo though but I literally choked while laughing at Vanilluxe though lol.

Hmm maybe it could have been Hydreigon and Mandibuzz in White and Haxorus and Braviary in Black when it came to his final 2 team members, the rest of his team would be Volcarona, Gigalith, Buffoulant, and probably something along the lines of Seismitoad but I'm just repeating myself there sadly lol.

And agreed on Psyanic's post yet again lol. Makes me wonder who the previous champion before Alder was though in all honesty.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
[SIZE="a"]Yeah.. I guess he does tug on my cold heartstrings.. Poor alder.. Then again.. I think he should have been what Riley was in pokemon D/P/PL where they are in the game just not massive impact to the main plot.. I think he should have given you an axew egg or something too

And I think the champion should have been choosable like the order of the E4.. So you can choose any champ[/SIZE]

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I'm betting the previous Champion just died a long time ago, or stepped down and wanted Alder to take his place? It seems like it happened a while ago, since Ghetsis remembers it and he's old, a bit older than Alder, but it's the same spectrum. That afro is hilarious. You can't take it seriously!

Maybe Alder just chocked when N came knocking on his door, the same with Ghetsis. He's just all talk, except the Tao Dragon would probably sweep his team to be honest.

And choosing a Champion sounds like a bad idea. You just battle in a certain order for the Elite Four, but it's not like you're choosing which one you want. They're still the same trainers, so the Champion should stay the same. Besides, who else would be Champion?

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Alder's got a mad do'. Still, the man needs a revamp. He looks too much like a guru.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
[SIZE="a"]Battling cynthia now..Oh.. I just learnt that cynthias eelectros knows flamethrower.. Poor steelix lol

Anyway I guess alders hair is wacky but what about Cynthia? And lance? Someone order from normal looking hair to alders the champions
So like.. Err..
1Gary
2..[/SIZE]

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I still find it kind of odd that a level 52 Reshiram or Zekrom could beat a team of 6 level 75 to 77 Pokes so easily tbh, unless it was something along the lines of a Choice Specs boosted Blue Flare or Draco Meteor or Choice Band boosted Bolt Strike and Stone Edge by Reshiram and Zekrom respectively lol.

And yes Alder's hair is ridiculous, very ridiculous.

Steven's and Wallace's hair were normal for the most part though, and I'm sure Steelix can hang on thanks to Sturdy lol.

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Even in Unova, Cynthia's still pretty insane. Her team is always stacked. I actually really like her hairstyle. It's nice and long and cute :3

Gary's and Lance's are almost the same, one just being a bit more up and less wavy as well as being shorter. Wallace had a beret, if that counts, but I think Alder is the only Champion with like ridiculous hair.

And I suppose Zekrom/Reshiram have that fear factor going for them. Other than that, yeah, Alder probably would have won.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Cynthia's hair is amazing. Enough said lol.

Alder on the other hand has been taking fashion advice from his Buffoulant now lol.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
[SIZE="a"]Now all I can see is bouffalant brushing alders hair..

I guess for me the strongest champion was either Gary or Cynthia

I DEFINATLEY remember losing to Gary more though.. I think that was partially because of my youth at the time and the fact that his strongest poke would always have a type matchup to your starter[/SIZE]

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Haha! Buffoulant and fashion? I can see that happening with Alder. He probably doesn't care too much anyway.

Cynthia was a hard Champion. That's just all there is to it. No other Champion really gave me trouble.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
[SIZE="a"]I guess I've come a long way from using charizards wing attack to defeat grays blastiose..

And yeah.. I guess the champion should be a lot harder for us nerds.. Perhaps an ajustable level of difficulty?

I mean asides" shift" and "set" battle style[/SIZE]

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Just making the games generally harder would be better. Having a difficulty would just be weird on a Pokemon game to be honest. Revamping teams here and there, now that's fun because now you have a challenge to face. And that's something new for in-game things. I think it would really make players think more, even if they're just casual.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
[SIZE="a"]You've go to remember though.. Pokemon has two audiences.. Kids.. And us.. The kids are In greater number.. Always will be.. So they will not make the games harder for the sheer fact that a ten year old should complete it.. So why not make everyone happy and have a level difficulty.. I mean even using nuzlocke is fairly easy.. What's wrong with upping a few of the champions stats? :)[/SIZE]

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
It shouldn't be too drastically hard so that they don't beat the game, but enough to provide an adequate challenge that will satisfy the older players. Sounds really ambiguous, but it's all in-game and in the end, you win.

Anyway, we're veering off topic. Back to Champions talk! I've been wondering why Wallace replaced Steven in Emerald as Champion... any ideas?

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
woot I am back!

That's one thing I have no idea off. I mean, Wallace has not had any significant help in RS, except well, lead you to that cave. Yes, he is a capable Pokemon trainer, but Steven is more capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back