• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do the Pokemon Movies fit in the Anime Timeline?

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
After Pokemon The 16th Movie came out I've really been wondering and have figured out that the Pokemon Anime and Movies do not exist in the same Universe or Timeline. At first I had thought they did because of the Mewtwo Returns special. Mewtwo was surprised when Ash knew his name, but found out the only reason he did was because of Meowth telling him. Also, meaning that Mewtwo recalls of meeting Ash in the first movie. The special was considered an episode for the Jhoto Region. In Ash's Adventure in Sinnoh during the final battle between him and Team Galactic in the Sky pillars, Ash meets Palkia and Dialga for the first time? I THINK NOT! They first met in The Rise of Darkrai which takes place before the event of Ash battling Team Galactic. This is proven accurately in Black and White. In the first Black and White movie about victini, Ash meets Reshiram, Zekrom, and Victini, BUT In the N Saga Ash, Iris, and Cilan wish of seeing The Legendary Reshiram. This event confirmed to me that there is definitely something wrong with the Anime and Movie timeline. Then Mewtwo Vs. Genesect happened, when Ash encounters Mewtwo once again Ash was about to reveal his thought of who he thought Mewtwo was. BUT Mewtwo interrupted him and revealed that he was Mewtwo. This makes it worst because we don't know if Ash knew it was Mewtwo from the Mewtwo returns special. Well that is my thought, what do you think about this?

krabbypatz93

August Burns Red FTW
Years
  • Age 31
  • AZ
  • Seen Mar 19, 2014
I've always thought about that myself, and my speculation is that the movies are just a completely different product, like a super special kind of thing surrounding legendary Pokemon.

On another note relating to this, Naruto Shippuden's writers do the same thing; out of the Naruto Shippuden movies that I've seen, I've never really been able to make sense of how the movies would be canonical to the series due to the chain of events.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
The episode "Pokémon Ranger - Deoxys' Crisis Part 1" had a scene where Solana said that a Deoxys once appeared in LaRousse City (she also mentioned a couple other details). Ash and co. didn't say anything about it nor did they even recognize what she was talking about. That proved that the events from movies do occur, but how come Ash and co. didn't remember it?

Years
There were some episodes about a Lugia and a baby Lugia that Team Rocket kidnapped and Ash and co. seemed to remember that they have seen a Lugia before. ;)

Leo the Lion

Too many sexy people in this world, all of them fi
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Its like why everyone forgets he participated in the league, all the gym badges, .....
None knows, nor will do. Maybe they have some sort of amnesia?

Years
Its like why everyone forgets he participated in the league, all the gym badges, .....
None knows, nor will do. Maybe they have some sort of amnesia?

In my opinion, they don't forget all of that, they just leave it all in the past.

It's like real life. I don't bring up my accomplishments all the time. I look into the future and I think this is what Ash is doing too.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
I haven't seen all the movies so I'm only speaking from the ones I've seen, but what got me was in the Genesect movie was the fact that Ash failed to recognise Mewtwo in any way shape or form. I've heard that apparently its another Mewtwo which I can't quite believe. In my mind, and from the way the story about Mewtwo being created which we've all seen, there is not a second mewtwo.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
As far as I can tell, only the first and 16th movie are canon, as events happened in the anime that corresponded to the movies, such as Mewtwo beating Gary and escaping the Viridian Gym, and the Genesect Army destroying the P2 Laboratory. But the Mewtwo in the 16th movie isn't the same one from the first. For one thing, that one has a female voice and a slightly different origin story. It also didn't recognize Ash at all. At first, I thought they retconned the entire first movie. But after looking at it again, this is my new opinion.

mayuyu

Fairy Queen
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 22, 2014
Ash also recognized Latios during the Sinnoh league, even though the only Latios he had seen before was in the Heroes movie, but for the most part I consider the movies and anime unrelated.

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2017
Pokemon movies are as cannon as any other episodes in anime. And we all know how they (makers of this show) handle countunity.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
This question was brought up several times turning out to be very delicate and confusing subject to talk about.
Especially when 14th movie Pokemon Whize and Black; Victini and Reshiram, Victini and Zekrom for first time in poemon history contained two different reality and versions which differs in several aspects from each other canon wise. Making it all that more confusing if they are meant to be story incorporated in timeline and events Best Wishes series followed.

However one excample doesn't make rule or pattern, its just exception to rule.

In general all pokemon movies can be considered canon 100% with several of them receiving references in main pokemon series through Ash and friends journey over past 16 years.

Here are some of them:
1st movie "Mewtwo Strikes Back": Mewtwo nearly killing Giovanni and battle betzween Giovanni and Gary was showerd. All of this took place in pokemon series during time Ash went to challenge Viridian gym.

2nd movie "Power of One": Ash and friends mention during Silver arc in Whirl Islands side adventure how they already saw Lugia once in Orange Islands which took place around time 2nd movie aired)

3rd movie "Spell of Unown": (dont hold me on words about this but if i recall right Ash mrentioned how they already met Entei once during episode"Entei at your own Risk" from Johto series(only time they met Entei prior to that happened in molvie as manifestation of Unknown illusion).

But much stronger evidence was demonstrated when Liza and Charific valley from anime was showed in movie with Charizard deciding to leave and help Ash out.

4th movie "Celebii: Voice of the Forest": Ash saw Suicune and made reference to prof. Oak how he already met Suicune before(happened at start of Johto)

7th movie "Destiny Deoxys": LaRousse City from movie was mentioned as May rival Drew hometown in anime

8th movie "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew": special guardian aura sir Aaron and Ash showed in movie became continuous thing coming up several times in main series. During episodes "The Keystone pops"(featuring Spirtomb ) and in "Pokemon Ranger and the kidnapped Rolu" two part episodes. Followed with Riley and Lucaropo appearances in Team Galactic episodes.

10th movie "Rise of Darkrai": Lunar wing Dawn bought in movie appeared in episode "Sleepless pre Battle" from Sinnoh series when Darkrai and Cresselia appeared. Minor thing but in episode "Sphere of Influence" in one of show displays space-time towers from that movie.

Those are examples i remember, if there exist more feel free to correct me.

Truth is that writers aren't always consistent and faithful in properly reflecting events and plots which happened before on screen and anime in general has pretty shaky continuity and connection to previous characters and impacts left on story before. As such possibly leading to different impression.

However based on all this references and throwbacks to movies happening in pokemon series its safe to make inference how events and timeline in movies are entangled within story of main anime. By covering aspects of journey which takes place between certain episodes based on items and remarks to scenes and incidents which were brought up at times in regular episodes.

Thus leading to logical and sacrosant deduction how pokemon movies generally speaking in my opinion are indeed meant to be interpretented as canon set in same timeline and universe as main show follows. They could in a way be viewed as some sort of complementation to main series story covering plots and events which otherwise couldn't have been showed in regular episodes, due to time constraints and predefined path through which tale would unfold and be told out to viewers.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
This question was brought up several times turning out to be very delicate and confusing subject to talk about.
Especially when 14th movie Pokemon Whize and Black; Victini and Reshiram, Victini and Zekrom for first time in poemon history contained two different reality and versions which differs in several aspects from each other canon wise. Making it all that more confusing if they are meant to be story incorporated in timeline and events Best Wishes series followed.

However one excample doesn't make rule or pattern, its just exception to rule.

In general all pokemon movies can be considered canon 100% with several of them receiving references in main pokemon series through Ash and friends journey over past 16 years.

Here are some of them:
1st movie "Mewtwo Strikes Back": Mewtwo nearly killing Giovanni and battle betzween Giovanni and Gary was showerd. All of this took place in pokemon series during time Ash went to challenge Viridian gym.

2nd movie "Power of One": Ash and friends mention during Silver arc in Whirl Islands side adventure how they already saw Lugia once in Orange Islands which took place around time 2nd movie aired)

3rd movie "Spell of Unown": (dont hold me on words about this but if i recall right Ash mrentioned how they already met Entei once during episode"Entei at your own Risk" from Johto series(only time they met Entei prior to that happened in molvie as manifestation of Unknown illusion).

But much stronger evidence was demonstrated when Liza and Charific valley from anime was showed in movie with Charizard deciding to leave and help Ash out.

4th movie "Celebii: Voice of the Forest": Ash saw Suicune and made reference to prof. Oak how he already met Suicune before(happened at start of Johto)

7th movie "Destiny Deoxys": LaRousse City from movie was mentioned as May rival Drew hometown in anime

8th movie "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew": special guardian aura sir Aaron and Ash showed in movie became continuous thing coming up several times in main series. During episodes "The Keystone pops"(featuring Spirtomb ) and in "Pokemon Ranger and the kidnapped Rolu" two part episodes. Followed with Riley and Lucaropo appearances in Team Galactic episodes.

10th movie "Rise of Darkrai": Lunar wing Dawn bought in movie appeared in episode "Sleepless pre Battle" from Sinnoh series when Darkrai and Cresselia appeared. Minor thing but in episode "Sphere of Influence" in one of show displays space-time towers from that movie.

Those are examples i remember, if there exist more feel free to correct me.

Truth is that writers aren't always consistent and faithful in properly reflecting events and plots which happened before on screen and anime in general has pretty shaky continuity and connection to previous characters and impacts left on story before. As such possibly leading to different impression.

However based on all this references and throwbacks to movies happening in pokemon series its safe to make inference how events and timeline in movies are entangled within story of main anime. By covering aspects of journey which takes place between certain episodes based on items and remarks to scenes and incidents which were brought up at times in regular episodes.

Thus leading to logical and sacrosant deduction how pokemon movies generally speaking in my opinion are indeed meant to be interpretented as canon set in same timeline and universe as main show follows. They could in a way be viewed as some sort of complementation to main series story covering plots and events which otherwise couldn't have been showed in regular episodes, due to time constraints and predefined path through which tale would unfold and be told out to viewers.

Your Right about the Victini and Reshiram/Zekrom movie. Two versions of a movie what were they trying to pull.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
but in the jirachi episode in the decalora islands in black and white, ash looked it up int he pokedex and it said it only awakens every 1,000 years, but ash had already met jirachi in jirachi wish maker, so there would have to be a 1,000 year difference in between that and we all know that couldnt be possible even in an anime.

Guest123_x1

Where any Pokémon movie fits in relation to the anime's timeline is anybody's guesswork. Then again, maybe it's a tightly kept secret that we're not supposed to know (similar kind of story to who Ash's father is.) This is taking into account the fact that the events in any of the movies are almost never referred to in the main TV series.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
I know the 7th movie was referenced in BF (season 9) and also Dawn's charm from movie 10 was in the Cresslia episode of DP.

dannichols

A Theodore Tugboat Fan
Years
Well, I can say that the first Pokemon movie does fit well into the timeline. The later movies, well, I can only say that they don't have a specific place in the anime timeline.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
it fits in the timeline in some cases and sometimes it doesnt
i also think there are many kinds of the same legendaries that would explain how latios can die yet be caught by a tobias and the more recent mewtwo was created by team plasma and is female even though mewtwos dont have genders

Back