• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Getting back into Pokemon after 6 years

Thorsphen

Electric
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
Hi, I am Matt I am 21 and I am thinking about getting back into Pokemon, it has been so long, I can't even remember the last version I played, all I know is that I had Kyogre, Groudon, Latias, Latios, Deoxys, Regiice, Regirock, Registeel and Rayquaza, not sure if it was Pokemon Blue maybe?

Anyway I am wondering if it is worth getting back into Pokemon, I enjoyed battling and searching for rare Pokemon, I am thinking of getting a 3DS and Black 2, there's so many new Pokemon I have no clue where to start.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Hi Matt! It's never too late to get back into Pokemon. I made that choice a couple years ago, and never regret it! Pokemon seems to stick with you no matter how hard the times are. :) In my personal experience, (and the experience of others) it is totally worth it.

Anyways, welcome to PC! It's your first step on getting back into Pokemon. You will find tons of discussions about Pokemon, whether it'd be the games, anime, TCG, and so much more! You should get a 3DS, because in case you didn't know, Pokemon X and Pokemon Y are coming in October, and they'll be on the 3DS. Be excited!

There are many sections for you to visit. Take a look around and you'll defo find something interesting.

Well, I hope you're having a great time here! See ya around, and read dem rules. ;)

QuickSilveri

Veteran
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
Welcome Back Matt. **looks to side, mutters "they always come crawling back"** lol

Pokemon is definitely something to get back into. I would suggest doing exactly what youre doing now, grab a 3DS with any spare cash, and play black 2. Complete it before October when the completely new X/Y 3DS pokemon games come out. At that point you'll remember how everything works and youll be starting off with a clean slate. If you need any help on the forums or in the game, VM or friend me (or both) and Ill help you out.

Regards, Chris

Thorsphen

Electric
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
Thanks guys, just no idea on all the new Pokemon, what's new in the games etc

Any Pokemon in Black 2 that are a must get? rare etc?

Years
I'm 21 too! Welcome to PokeCommunity, Matt, great to meet you. :D

Going by the Pokemon you listed... I'm thinking you had Sapphire. All those Pokemon were available in the third gen (with Groudon being exclusive to Ruby) so chances are that's what you've played. Definitely worth getting back into Pokemon though; the series is addicting as ever, especially with great games like X and Y being announced recently. Lots of people are picking Pokemon back up again because of it. :3

But I can't probably help you out much with what Pokemon are rare in Black/White 2 since... I don't really know myself haha. ;; Really need to pick the game back up again. Stinks how I only now decided I wanted to play more right as winter break is coming to a close. Well, thankfully there are always those days off to utilize. I know you can get Trapinch pretty early on so that might be worthwhile to pick up, though. Flygon is a really great dragon type! You should also be able to catch Growlithe around the second gym so that's another awesome option for when you get a Fire Stone.

Stop by the Black 2 & White 2 section if you want to discuss B/W2 anytime as it'll likely be a great place for you. You can even ask questions about the game over at their Quick Questions thread. :D Have a wonderful time here!

Thorsphen

Electric
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
Thanks for the help, yes those were the games I remember I had both, I use to love battling on my Gameboy via cable with friends, loved my Latias, I always use to win with him :D

Shame I can't have him and Kyogre etc in the new games but I am looking forward to the new gen of Pokemon, I will pick up a 3DS and Black 2 in the week sometime, going to order it now.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Hi, Matt! I'm glad you're going to be getting a 3DS and the Black 2! It's definitely a great game and will give you an idea as to how the franchise has sort of developed graphic and content-wise since the last time you played.

From the Pokemon you listed in your first post, the game you were playing most likely was either Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald, which were games part of generation III. We're now on Generation V, with two new Pokemon games, X & Y, coming out in October (which are part of Generation VI)!

Hope to see you around!

Thorsphen

Electric
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
Thanks for the nice welcome, I have just ordered a Nintendo 3DS Cosmos Black and Pokemon Black 2, it will be here Tuesday, not sure how this Nintento ID thing works but will definitely be active here.

Years
Hi Matt, and welcome!

I'm 20, which is close to your age so yeah, surprised at how many older fans you're seeing here? I do like your avatar, are you a Mewtwo fan by any chance? Glad to see you're getting back into Pokemon, I've been a fan since it came to Australia. We currently have some discussions regarding the new games, X & Y going hot right now!

And you're getting a 3DS and Black 2? Nice. I got a 3DS XL and Black 2 & White 2 for Christmas. Currently training my team for the Elite Four on Black 2, I've had a pretty fun experience with the games so far. Cirno recommended the Black 2 & White 2 section for you to check out, so go over there and discuss about B2/W2. So many great Pokemon in the games, I have a pretty awesome Lucario with me in Black 2 right now.

Have fun, and I'm glad we can be friends here.

- [supporter]Hikari10[/supporter]

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Hi, Thorsphen! So you're thinking of getting 3DS, too? As the others said earlier, Pokemon X and Y are in hot discussion now! So have fun Pokecommunitying here!

Thorsphen

Electric
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
Little update, I am getting a 3DS XL instead, it will be here tomorrow so I can hopefully get a couple of hours in on B2 :)

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years

Latias is a female.

Hey Thorsphen. I'm older than 21 myself, but not so old that I don't still have a draw to this franchise. I also quit the major part of the franchise during the third Generation, but I've always stayed in the sidelines because I like artists' interpretations of Pokemon and whatnot. Pokemon X and Y looks interesting enough, though, so I suppose that could be a good place for people to get back into the series? I dunno, I guess I'm not the person to ask about that.

If you like the creative side of things, the art and design section of the forum is pretty neat. *wink nudge* I'm sure we also have a lot of talented writers and game designers in the other creative forums, too. I think, anyway, it's always nice to break away from what Game Freak tells you to like every now and then. And if you just wanna talk about something else, there's lots of general discussion based forums, too.

Well, as you get back into the swing, you'll find your niche. Welcome to PC.

Back