• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
^Well if you want progress your going to need to see the bad in order to get to the good. I feel that negative news is going to raise more awareness than positive news. For the people that watch news and look at certain things, they can be a bit more educated on the matter. However, there are some people out there like Glen Beck or Rick Santorum who won't educate themselves, and are too egotistical to change their views because they feel that they would be "wrong"

I mean with every good story, or gate we pass in the gay community always will come with the bad. Example : More parents are becoming more accepting of transgendered children, as a result schools and organizations won't allow them to be the way they want too as they find it "taboo"

Also, spreading awareness in places like California or Miami isn't going to do much good as they are really open about the community. However, places like Mississippi and Idaho are places where the word needs to be spread. Places that tend to be a lot more conservative, tend to have the worst cases of discrimination. Which is why its a grand thing for any kind of good thing to happen their with all the bad news there. Like for example, the Constance McMillin Case in Missispii (I may of spelled the name wrong) . She was able to take a bad situation that was against her, and turned it into something that probley has helped that area in the LGBTS community. Now, I dont know that for a fact as I don't live there. The point is, is that if you have bad news, there is always good that can come out of it. :3

Stay optimistic <3

You know what? That's actually a really good way to think about it. I mean.. I still hate seeing haters, but I think I'll think about it in that way more often from now on.
I like when people rise up and combat the hate by doing something proactive. I think that's the way we can learn best.
Thanks for that!

Itgetsbetterproject= full of so much great!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
If you ignore an issue, the issue gets larger. The people who are bigots remain bigots and will not be influenced by the greater fabric of LGBT acceptance. The people that are on the fence on LGBT rights (I've met some who I personally convinced) will only have the loud voices of homophobes to guide them in their decision. If you just shut up and put up and don't try to change anything, then nothing will change. I feel a club like this is a great way to bring awareness to issues that can then be spread by other means. I've taken articles from here and posted them to Facebook and to my school's LGBT club, spreading the amount of people that know about the injustice and that may do something about it.

This, essentially. While I get that the negative articles can at times seem repetitive in their similarity, it's not good to let them go unacknowledged either. Not mentioning them at all is the equivalent of saying "that's fine, carry on." Some of the bigots who are the reason for these articles do want attention; but LGBT issues are enough of a hot-button topic that they're going to get the attention either way - I think it's better to dictate the kind of attention they're given rather than to bury our heads in the sand.

Kura said:
What do you realistically think the worldview on homosexuality might be like in 20 years time and why? What would you do now to help change the worldview so that it's one that you would like to see in the future

I think it will be far better than it is now. Even if we halved our efforts (which we should never do!), it would be better than it is now simply by virtue of having 20 years worth of old people dying off. There will still always be bigots, of course, but the younger generation tend to be far more "pro-homo" due to how and when we've grown up. While I don't accept upbringing as a valid reason for being anti-LGBT, I do accept that the older generation are never going to change and it's just a matter of playing the waiting game as far as they're concerned lol.

So... um... on another topic; I think I'm doing my video for the itgetsbetter project, this week. Likeliness is that it'll never be seen, but if one person sees it and it make them think, I guess its worthwhile.

Post it here when it's done, Pudz! If nothing else, we'll see it. But I'm sure others will too :)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
many asexuals are the way they are due to situational circumstances; perhaps even those beyond their control.
And there are many that are not, and they're now being treated as if they're only asexual due to something being wrong with them. Which was all that I was pointing out. One of the most common responses to people coming out as asexual is "There's something wrong with you. Go get medical help" when for many people, there's nothing wrong with them.

To swing this onto one of the current topics, the asexual community is using the House episode to try and educate more people so that asexual people aren't defaulted to having some medical cause behind their orientation.

Years
So I've been doing a little reading about asexuality (because I could do with a little more education) and it depending on who you talk to it seems to be somewhat outside the LGBT umbrella. It makes me wonder if it's a choice by asexual people to remain separate for whatever reasons or something that the LBGT crowd does that makes us less than welcoming to asexual people. To me it seems right that they should be a part of the group in the same way that trans people are (ideally anyway) even though they aren't necessarily a non-heterosexual sexual orientation. That got me thinking about how in the past I think I wasn't very supportive of the idea. I can remember one time a friend said to me that he just wasn't interested in sex anymore on any level and I took that as a bad thing. Now I think I could have been more understanding and supportive. :/

So... um... on another topic; I think I'm doing my video for the itgetsbetter project, this week. Likeliness is that it'll never be seen, but if one person sees it and it make them think, I guess its worthwhile.
That's really commendable. It almost makes me want to make one myself. (I really would if I weren't so shy.) So that right there was something positive you've done with it and you haven't even made it yet.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I don't really understand the difference between someone choosing to remain celibate because they're not attracted to people.. and people who label themselves as asexual. Could someone explain this to me? Or is it the same thing with just a word attached to it?

Shining Raichu

Years
I was under the impression that asexualism was defined by the lack of attraction to other people. I'm not sure what question it is you're asking lol.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
Years
I thought asexuality is to be unattracted by sex only. Then there is something that is for sex and relationships with other people.
I could be wrong though, but asexuality is the term that would technically define both of these types of people. I myself have one friend who is asexual, yet he likes people with personality and what not and is even in a relationship (I honestly don't know how that works tbh)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Isn't that why there's -sexual and -romantic? Like someone can be asexual and heteroromantic, so they're in a relationship without sex but they're still romantically attracted to their partner?

Charlie Kelly

King of the Rats
Years
This ___sexual/____romantic thing makes me wonder... how would anti-gay people feel about two heterosexual/homo-romantic men getting married? That topic interests me, as a bisexual/hetero-romantic man.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I really don't think it matters to them how you feel about it. All that matters to them is that you're the opposite sex.

Years
I really don't think it matters to them how you feel about it. All that matters to them is that you're the opposite sex.
Agreed. If someone has a problem with gay people in general they probably have a very solid, simple view of sexuality as a whole that doesn't allow for anything more complex than "straight" and "other."

So, in other news, the infamous Prop 8 is in the news again as the 9th circuit court of appeals is due to make a ruling in a couple hours. It'll probably strike it down, but it'll probably get appealed no matter what the decision is. I hold out the tiniest sliver of hope that the court will find it so unbelievably wrong that they'll reinstate same sex marriages again, but yeah, looks like it's still years away from a conclusion.

Magdalena~

Feel the hnnnnggg
Years
I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I don't really understand the difference between someone choosing to remain celibate because they're not attracted to people.. and people who label themselves as asexual. Could someone explain this to me? Or is it the same thing with just a word attached to it?
Asexual means having no sexual attraction. Celibate means making a conscious decision not to have sex.

Technically, asexual aromantic is the full way of saying someone that has a natural lack of both sexual and romantic attraction, but colloquially I feel like I see people saying "asexual" and let the "aromantic" be implied. It's perfectly fine to me, since it's natural for people to associate -sexual and -romantic together being that they're the same or similar for most people.

@Charlie: I really don't think it matters who the people are into sexually. xD If two people of the same-sex are together, that apparently = bad.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
The Supreme Court is the top court, and once it's decided there precedent is set and that's it. I'm not 100% on the appeals system but there's either 1 more court to go before it goes to the Supreme Court or the Supreme Court is just the next court. The news article seemed to imply that they could appeal once again to the 9th District Federal Appeals court, but if not it would go up to the Supreme Court.

But the Supreme Court hears less than 1% of the court cases filed with it so it's possible that this court has the final say on it. However I get the feeling this is the kind of case the Supreme Court would actually take haha.

Years
Oh, well. Maybe a miracle will happen and they'll mess up their papers on filing for an appeal and we'll get marriage back without having to go to the Supreme Court. I really don't like the idea of them deciding so in the mean time I'm gonna push for the ballot initiative for this year's election that would strike out Prop 8. [here it is]

Edit: I believe that they can appeal this decision to the Supreme Court directly or they can try the whole of the 9th Circuit.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Other interesting points that I just saw while researching this a little more:

They can actually go straight to the Supreme Court if they'd like, but they can also go to a a larger panel of judges in the same appeals circuit, since this decision was heard by only 3 judges. This article has some more detailed and interesting bits in it, such as why the Supreme Court is unlikely to hear the case and what precedent was used in making the decision. It would be nice if they went straight to the Supreme Court and then were denied, as that would mean the end of the line for them and precedent would be set.

Shining Raichu

Years
Oh my God, this is amazing news! That makes me so happy!

From what I hear (and granted, my knowledge comes from TV shows so it may not be all that reliable!) judges prefer not to reverse decisions made by other judges, so the more times it gets stricken down, the less likely it is that it will ever be reversed. That's my take on it anyway, I could be totally off-base. But if I am, blame The Good Wife.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
Years
Amazing news ^-^
I shared over to serebii's LGBST club :>

I recently opened to my mom about my crossdressing/transgender feelings. She was fine with them! I'll tell my dad some other time. He is open, but its hard to tell him stuff like this. I'm glad my parents are accepting people! <3

Shining Raichu

Years
Yeah that's a fairly good point Pudz brings up - now that it's out in the open, are you going to do something about it?

Back