• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Not necessarily. Volbeat was in a Pikachu Short way before Illumise was ever introduced.

Volbeat and Illumise aren't part of the same evolutionary line, nor was Volbeat the center of the short, unlike Sylveon. They still would have shown two Eevee Evolutions in the Coro Coro and only stated that one would be shown in the movie keeping both methods of evolution secret as well as their types.

Years
When I first saw Sylveon, it immediately reminded me of Skyla, which of course made me think that it would be a Flying type. Plus, it weighs the lightest out of all the Eeveelutions.
Without any further knowledge, I can probably say that this is my new favorite Eeveelution. It has my vote for favorite color scheme of the and I'm super excited to learn more about it.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Volbeat and Illumise aren't part of the same evolutionary line, nor was Volbeat the center of the short, unlike Sylveon. They still would have shown two Eevee Evolutions in the Coro Coro and only stated that one would be shown in the movie keeping both methods of evolution secret as well as their types.

A Volbeat and Illumise can hatch from the same egg though, so they are somewhat related.

I think another ground type evolution would fit the X and Y theme. The gender thing, and the X being ground and Y being sky. Not to mention the Eevee in the statue with the other ground types could have something to do with it...

blue

gucci
Years
Well the Ground type Eeveelution could be supported by that Statue we saw in the first trailer which had Golurk, Palpitoad and Eevee situation upon it, which obviously sparked speculation that it may be designed for a Ground type gym leader prompting at a possible Ground type Eeveelution.
pokemon-x-and-y3.jpg

So although Sylveon may not have the typical Ground type appearance, I wouldn't rule it out just yet..

Edit: Just realized that you just highlighted this point above ooops.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Actually, that statue was interesting enough for some more speculations; in fact, I found a collection of them which I've explained in a thread;

• It's hard to see what the statue is, but it looks to contain stone depictions of Golurk, Palpitoad and perhaps Bisharp or a knight (or maybe a new monster from generation VI). Possibly a humanoid pokemon? Although it looks more like a knight.
  • Possible Golurk or Palpitoad evolution? A possible new branch of evolution for these two?
  • There's also a trainer (gym leader) and an Eevee in the statue. Does that hint at a new Ground Eeveelution? There's already plenty of things pointing that way. I find that kind of weird; I think that some people noticed how that "knight trainer" has a Golurk, Palpitoad, two ground pokemon, and then the Golurk is holding an Eevee. I guess it's sort of a "what doesn't belong" feel to this, because it's kind of weird how there is two ground pokemon, and then just a normal-type Eevee. Plus, well... I guess the statue is a brown color, so could the grouping of the 'ground' theme there hint an ground-type Eeveelution?
  • The Golurk statue also has a Palpitoad below it, which is can make one think that it's a ground-type gym. Although it's kind of odd to see a statue of "supposedly" gym leader and his/her pokes outside of his/her gym...
  • Also the presence of the Golurk statue (the other pre-6 mons could be just preview filler) lends the suggestion the main game will use mons from past gens. I did enjoy the magic of gen 6 and having a completely new region, but we also lost out on continuing evolutions of previous forms, but I guess we can't have it all.
  • The whole thing with recurring characters is interesting to note, so let's sit in our handy dandy thinking chair and remember that earlier, people theorized that the statue was of N and his pokemon.
Well, again, those weren't my theories, just a collection of theories I saw in the web. Some of them... look like a stretch! Like the possibility of a N return? Or a Ground type Gym? But, then again, a few people pointed out that there were Dratini statues nearby, so... who knows. If Sylveon turns out to be Flying, and if GF planned to create another Eeveelution, then maybe it can be Ground, since I like to think that Flying and Ground are elemental opposites.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I agree, if anything generation VI should be the focus with some of the spot light on Hoenn stuff if they plan to have a remake of RSE this time around much like Sinnoh had tons of Johto evolutions.

blue

gucci
Years
If Gen VI has a handful of Hoenn evolutions, I wouldnt put it down as a reference to a remake but it would show that they are getting updated and attention. Although I cant see any real necessary Hoenn evolutions at the monent, Gen IV introduced a pretty decent set of evolutions for that region IMO. If anything I think the most evolutions will go to Gen V since this is the first opportunity to improve upon the previous Generation Pokemon.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
If Sylveon is a female-only evolution and Game Freak invented a male specific one, this would be a stretch, but as a pair, what if they would be partly based on aeons as well? Aeons in mythology (or was it theology? Eh.) are spiritual entities that exist in pairs; one male and one female. Latios and Latias were the first to be based on aeons, so maybe if they wanted to make another aeon pair, gender-specified Eeveelutions would be a good ploy.
I don't really like it if Sylveon is female only evolution line. And if the basis of that decision is because Sylveon looks (too) feminime, that's downright silly. For me, the problem of Sylveon being female-only evolution would make it a hassle to have it since the gender ratio is 7:1. Yes, we already have Combee that work that way but for Combee line it could work because bees are their basis, not feminime appreance. Many Pokemon that have either feminime or masculine look could be either gender. I don't mind feminime or masculine as long as both gender of Eevee can evolve to it.

If they would to make it a pair like Umbreon(Night and Moon) and Espeon(Day and Sun) did, I would love to see it. Especially if they pairing is Ground and Flying it would make sense.
Wait, I think I just realized something. The probability of the next eevolution being Ground and Fying is even more likely than I used to think.
I just hope the next Eevolution would surprise with something good.
I prefere flying type solo.

Seconded. If it Flying type, let it have solo type.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
If Gen VI has a handful of Hoenn evolutions, I wouldnt put it down as a reference to a remake but it would show that they are getting updated and attention. Although I cant see any real necessary Hoenn evolutions at the monent, Gen IV introduced a pretty decent set of evolutions for that region IMO. If anything I think the most evolutions will go to Gen V since this is the first opportunity to improve upon the previous Generation Pokemon.
All of generation IV's evolutions to Hoenn Pokemon are branch evolutions with the exceptions of Roselia, and Dusknoir plus Hoenn has more single stage evolutions which could be used for some really cool evolutions imo (especially it's three gimick pokemon).

Perhaps we're given a female eevee in which we're meant to evolve into a Sylveon, of course those who don't end up buying a guide upon release date will proably wish they hadn't evolve it into one of the other seven or eight evolutions...

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
This is an interesting theory I've been reading about, but, do any of you think that Mewtwo will play a role in X&Y?

With the announcement of Mewtwo being the secret Movie 16 star, I kinda wonder what this may mean for the games. Even though it's unlikely, it might mean something. Previous generations were heavily promoted by the movies leading up to their release, but in this case the stars of the main movie (as opposed to the short) aren't new species. While Genesect was due for a movie role, Mewtwo already has a movie and a special (technically two specials) under its belt. Why would the Pokémon Company want the movie to be focused on Mewtwo unless it were relevant to the upcoming games?

Mewtwo's name has already been brought up in the context of X and Y due to the probable Genetics theme. But some fans seem to have dismissed that theory simply on the basis of Mewtwo (and Mew and Deoxys for that matter) being old news. But if Mewtwo is good enough for the movie, why would it seem out of place in the games? If anything, there should be some old legendaries in the games so that Game Freak don't have to go overboard with new legendaries just to fill some quota of sidequests. A lot of existing legendaries have untapped potential story-wise, and Mewtwo and Mew are among the prime examples.

While a movie-related download could work, Mewtwo has already been distributed in the current generation. It would be far better if it were catchable in X and Y and had some connection to the main story. Not only could Mewtwo's real origin story be finally told in full, but I could also see a connection to the new bonding feature. Dr. Fuji may have created Mewtwo solely for battling, but Mr. Fuji clearly doesn't see Pokémon that way. No doubt Mr. Fuji would want Mewtwo to finally find a trainer that could manage to open its heart and earn its trust.

On another note, the theory about Mew being the ancestor of (most) Pokémon could finally be touched upon. I wouldn't be surprised if Mew were connected to Xerneas and Yveltal. I mean, I personally think Mewtwo and Mew can have the potential of making a return with the theme of genetics. I mean, in the game, what do we actually know about Mewtwo other than it was man-made from Mew's genes, and that it was designed to be the ultimate fighting machine? I mean, aside from the anime, I think that maybe they can show more of Mewtwo's own personal feelings and own willpower. Well, I guess the question of the day might be, would Mewtwo influence the Gen 6's legendary pokemon? And will Mew make a brief scene as well? There's kiiind of not that much we know about Mew as well; he's suggested to be the 'ancestor' of all pokemon and supposedly has the genes of all pokemon because it can learn every move.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
I never like the idea of Pokemon game story being directly influenced or linked to anime. Even if it true the thematic motifs would again genetic, I'll prefer if they let story goes with the original legendary without any older legendary involved. Sure Mew and/or Mewtwo could have connection to Xerneas and Yvertal, but it is better if they hold it for post game story (if there is any).

And the reason why the Company would want Mewtwo for the next, is because MEwtwo is so damn popular Also Mewtwo is heavily featured in the first (or second?) movie back many years ago so the nostalgia factor is pretty strong. If Charizard is a legendary, I'm pretty it would have two or three movies under it wing.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I don't think Mewtwo and Mew will have much their origins explained because previous gen Pokemon are never added on a current gen's regional dex. The reason they were added on Jotho's dex was because Gen II was originally going to be the grand finale of the series.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Is there any thread that talk about Day/Night cycle? I always wondered why they removed it "partially" in Gen V instead of featuring it alongside the Season cycle.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
I think what Sydian meant by her remark was that Ho-oh and Lugia's mythology in their respective games aren't as linked or intertwined like most recent legendary mascots have been. They more or less stand on their own.

The legends connected with Ho-oh and Lugia do parallel each other, though: both birds have three sub-legendaries–i.e.: Ho-oh commands Entei, Raikou, and Suicune while Hugia has control over Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres.

It sort of looked like that's what was going on with the wild Pikachu in the trailer.

I don't know; that looked more like the battle's introduction instead; I was thinking that Pokémon could keep random encounters, but make them appear shortly before battle (like in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, but with much shorter notice.)

I can see a Dolphin Pokemon being more of a stand alone Pokemon with no evolutions, similar to Qwilfish, Tauros, Maractus, Miltank etc.

Actually, I think that at least some of these Pokémon should not stand on their own like they do now. Tauros can only be found as a male, but both male and female Bouffalant exist. That makes me think that these similar Pokémon should be linked with a shared pre-evolution and some sort of evolution hold item that prejudices the evolution towards making the male members of this pre-evolution's species into a Tauros rather than a Bouffalant. Similarly, Maractus could be linked to Cacnea and Cacturne. I bet GameFreak could figure out evolution chains for Qwilfish and Miltank, too, if they wanted to make these Pokémon evolvable.

Same here, unless they do a baby dolphin.

Yeah, they could do another evolution chain like that comprising Mantyke and Mantine (oh, wait; that requires a Remoraid, doesn't it?)

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I'm very positive that Pokémon X and Y would have a Day/Night cycle. Why would they decide to remove it if it has been in Generation IV and V? Just because they did so in Generation III doesn't mean that they'd do it again, I think the reason why Generation III didn't have a day/night system is 'cause they rushed the development of Ruby and Sapphire.

Hm... now as for Sylveon, I'm kind of getting this feeling that it would be a Psychic/Grass type, that is if they don't reveal any new types, just as much as I'm hoping for them to reveal a new type. 'Cause if you think about it, it looks similar to Leafeon in a way, but also is pink like Espeon... but just a bit brighter pink, so therefore... a dual Psychic/Grass type combination and the first Eeveelution to have dual types, also the name "Sylveon" comes from "sylvania", which means forests and trees. And also, since it was revealed on Valentine's Day, it seems to hint about something about "love", and mostly only Psychic-type Pokémon have been associated with love and romance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back